By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Bikes

kop205

I've always tried to get out and do a bit of kine riding during the summer months and try and push myself.

I've been riding a bulky old Townsend Warlord mountain bike which I think is coming to the end of its day (my brother bought it about 20 years ago and I inherited it so it has done a good stint). Takes me about 40 minutes to do a very hilly 11 mile circuit but recokon I could cut that loads with a better machine.

So, what would be a decent replacement?

I don't think I want a full on racer with the clips for yer fancy shoes and all that as (a) I don't want to look like a c*** and (b) I'd probably fall off when I stop at the lights, but I probably would fancy something a bit lighter and nippier than what I've had (which is probably pretty much anything actually).

I would want something with either drop down handlebars or extensions that stick up as that is what I have currently and is where I tend to put my hands.

I'd want 18+ gears

I don't really want to spend more than £150 - 200 as I'll only use it in the summer to be honest.

Is that realistic?

Where to start?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really want to spend more than £150 - 200 as I'll only use it in the summer to be honest.

Is that realistic?

Where to start?

Probably not that realistic to be honest - I would say that you will be looking to double that, at least.

You can get some nice hybrid / cross bikes that'll be much sturdier than a road bike but a lot quicker than your old mtb. Can you take part in any of the Cycle to Work schemes?

You are probably looking at this sort of bike and this sort of price;

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/crosstrail-2012-hybrid-bike-ec030724

Spend a bit more and use it throughout the year. A crappy bike might limit what you do but, the theory is, if you buy a decent bike, then you will want to ride it more.

Any chance you can jump on a cycle to work scheme with tax benefits and other discounts? Deffo recommend a decent hybrid and in particular this one which isnt too far off your proce range.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55752

Got the bike in the link above last year, put a few miles on it, dead easy up hills, really smooth ride and made of really good components. Unfortunately mine was pinched a couple of months ago...

Ah! That one has been discontinued, but you getvthe idea, they now do a 2012 version

Yeah, you can pick up some real bargains if you look hard enough and know what you are looking for. Virtually all of last seasons models will be reduced. That plus Cycle to Work means that you get a really decent bike for not that much more than you were looking at to begin with. But, I still think you are looking at between £300 and £400 though

Get an idea of what you want: frame size wise and what you need/want: racing or flat bars, bits that are attachable or not, such as a rack or mudguards etc : frame size and frame material being key. Alu is lighter than steel but is a less comfy ride. you won't need carbon forks and all that malarkey

Then keep an eye on ebay or clearance shops/sales for an old model or a used one wihich meets your needs. I bought a hybrid this way a couple of years back new (online) for £175 from Cycle Surgery and it'd be great for what you need - mine's a 23" frame so not the most popular which may have helped with the price. If you want a racer, then ebay would be avery good place to look BUT know what frame-size you need before you start

If you are on the cycle to work thing, ours is through Halfords. They have a "limited" range of bikes in their shops but a colleague decided he wanted something a bit different and called their HQ who sourced and supplied it to him under the scheme

Keep away from Halfords! Would not trust them one bit and have seen them sell bikes that are frankly dangerous when they send them out.

My advise would to always try and buy from your local bike shop if possible but a lot of good deals will be found over the internet. Chainreaction Cycles are always a good place to start for bargains and they are part of the Cycle to Work scheme.

I pick up this beauty in the morning from the bike shop. Tremendously excited, made the conversion to clipless pedals as well and been trying them out on my old bike to get used to it. Not hit the deck yet

My link

Nice that

I got this through a combination of the Cycle to Work scheme and a massive f***ing row with Evans Cycles which I escalated to such a degree that they gave me an extra £300 of this;

http://www.onyourbike.com/product/9225-Whyte-Saxon-Cross-2012.php

It's lovely

Saucy machine that. I used to ride years ago andneed to get in shape so it was either join the gym or a new bike. Bike wins.

Had a dodgy back for a couple of years so went for the cyclocross bike over pure road machine for a little more comfort and the occasional option to ride down a tow path. Getting the shop to put some nice 28mm slick tyres on it as well as it will almost exclusively be for road use.

....went for the cyclocross bike over pure road machine for a little more comfort and the occasional option to ride down a tow path. Getting the shop to put some nice 28mm slick tyres on it as well as it will almost exclusively be for road use.

Aye - good choice

Nice that

I got this through a combination of the Cycle to Work scheme and a massive f***ing row with Evans Cycles which I escalated to such a degree that they gave me an extra £300 of this;

http://www.onyourbike.com/product/9225-Whyte-Saxon-Cross-2012.php

It's lovely

My mates got this My link but he was in the Marines and prefers road racing for fitness, whereas as prefer mountain / route biking. Need to upgrade my bike though.

Anyone want a Grifter ?

Edited by Earl Hafler

I ride a bike so therefore I am qualified to comment.

The Cycle to Work scheme is excellent. EXCEPT, you have to use it to actually cycle to work. I would need to be put into an iron lung if I cycled to work. Too far and much to hilly.

I never use lycra or those fancy sunglasses. Some might get away with it but I fear it wouldn't do anything for me.

I use the bell a lot. This is to let people know (particularly on walking/cycle paths) that I am coming up behind them. The number of people who give me a c***ing c**** sneer for doing so is incredible.

Who checks this though? Nobody I know has ever been pulled up for not using their bike for work.

Even before they started getting their staff numbers cut, the idea that HMRC had a team going out inspecting whether those who had signed up to Cycle to Work were using their bikes for journeys to the office was not exactly likely.

I ride a bike so therefore I am qualified to comment.

The Cycle to Work scheme is excellent. EXCEPT, you have to use it to actually cycle to work. I would need to be put into an iron lung if I cycled to work. Too far and much to hilly.

I never use lycra or those fancy sunglasses. Some might get away with it but I fear it wouldn't do anything for me.

I use the bell a lot. This is to let people know (particularly on walking/cycle paths) that I am coming up behind them. The number of people who give me a c***ing c**** sneer for doing so is incredible.

By law you must have a bell on your bike in Sweden and a lot of people on bikes say/shout/sing "ding ding" when coming up behind walking people when they don't have a bell on the bike to warn them. It never fails to make me laugh.

Even before they started getting their staff numbers cut, the idea that HMRC had a team going out inspecting whether those who had signed up to Cycle to Work were using their bikes for journeys to the office was not exactly likely.

It only has to be for a part of the journey.