By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Another Travel Advice Topic

Vlad JNR

Trusted General Forumites,

I'm off round Spain next week and was wondering if anyone has any tips for me as I pull together itineraries for a few nights in each of Madrid, Salamanca, San Sebastian and Bilbao. Of particular interest will be recommendations for any decent tapas/pinxos bars, and any sights/things to do apart from the obvious tripadvisor/Rough Guide tips.

Salamanca will be brutally hot.

Madrid, just lounge around the Retiro Park. Very nice.

Not been to San S or Bilbao, although I have it on good authority that the Guggenheim is the only thing worth seeing.

San Sebastian is fantastic for Pintxos, look at this guide for what is possible. http://www.todopintxos.com/home/home.php?lang=en.

It has good beaches and if you have the money some 3 Michelin star places. For Pintxos just head into the old town and move from bar to bar. The displays are astonishing just point and they'll serve em.

For Bilbao the bus takes about an hour from San Sebastian. The bus station is virtually next door to Athletico ground and a further 10 mins to the Guggenheim either along the river or through quite a nice park..

• 2 weeks later...

Bilbao is boss, Salamanca sound, San Sebastian lovely resort and Madrid was missing the Black Eyed Peas.

Really like Bilbao though, in middle of having several glasses of local vino watching the world go by. Will write full report in due course...

Beneath the market square in Madrid are these brilliant Tapas bars - each with a different speciality.

The world's oldest restaurant is nearby and definitely worth a visit too.

Just realised this awesome tip has been posted too late. Ah well...

Edited by StevieC

My tip for anyone now cuz is if you go to Madrid, don't go when the Black Eyed Peas are on - they were crap. Oh and if you do go and see a concert, make sure you're sober enough go to the right football stadium...:D

Edited by Leo No.8