By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Colorado shooting survivor plans law suit

Nebraska Red

Torrence Brown Jr., one of the Aurora movie shooting survivors, is planning on suing the theater, confirmed his family's publicist on Wednesday. "We're going to make sure whoever is accountable is going to take responsibility for this tragedy,"

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/wake-tragedies-lawyers-step-colorado-shooting-survivor-plans-172430871.html

FFS, people are still grieving and receiving treatment and the lawyers swoop in, sick b******s.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably trying to garner support for a class action suit.

There'll be plenty more claiming 'distress' on advice from their lawyers. Lawyers who'd advice for free until money is made as well. Dirty.

Edited by carrafan

Torrence Brown Jr., one of the Aurora movie shooting survivors, is planning on suing the theater, confirmed his family's publicist on Wednesday. "We're going to make sure whoever is accountable is going to take responsibility for this tragedy,"

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/wake-tragedies-lawyers-step-colorado-shooting-survivor-plans-172430871.html

FFS, people are still grieving and receiving treatment and the lawyers swoop in, sick b******s.

That'll be the chap with the guns who was arrested.

So the logical outcome of this lawsuit being successful might be that every cinema in the USA has armed guards to protect against loopers? Or that there are airport style scanners at every theatre?

We have those in the malls in India. Proper pain having to open your bags every time you want to get in.

So the logical outcome of this lawsuit being successful might be that every cinema in the USA has armed guards to protect against loopers? Or that there are airport style scanners at every theatre?

No, the logical outcome is that your ticket to the movie comes with a Glock 19, a Kalashnikov rifle, a large coke and a medium pocorn.

All movie theaters will be sponsored by the NRA.

Edited by Nebraska Red

f***in hell

I don't see how this gets upheld. The theatre can't account or plan for this. Its not like a seat he was sitting on snapped.

It is America though.

Surviving something like this is not enough to feel happy and grateful unless you also get to cash in. Did the survivors of Columbine, etc, get anything from the schools?

Surviving something like this is not enough to feel happy and grateful unless you also get to cash in. Did the survivors of Columbine, etc, get anything from the schools?

Apparently the State of Virginia had to pa\y $11m after the Virginia Tech massacre and the college itself got fined £55,000 for not notfying students quickly enough when the shooting started.

Was something about in the Observer this weekend and fydspidea confirms.

Don't see anywhere else appropriate to post this, and it doesn't really need a thread of it's own.

This really is one of the worst examples of comment for comment's sake I've seen in recent times:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2012/jul/25/modern-mythology-batman-sick-universe

"I feel sorry for people who can't appreciate a good laugh", says the Joker after firebombing a building where people are asleep. Moving on through the Gotham night, he kills a worker in a fast-food establishment, for fun. Next he murders a newspaper seller, before escaping in a hail of laughter.

"Ha, ha, ha ha …"

This comic strip story about the Batman villain the Joker comes not from some X-rated adult comic, but from a 1996 DC children's annual called Batman Adventures. At least, I think it's for kids. It's painted in lurid colours and drawn at wild expressionist angles. It seems a bit extreme for a children's comic.

Does the modern mythology of Batman inflict a sick universe on its fans?

After last week's murders in Colorado, apparently carried out by a man who painted his hair to look like the Joker, I was expecting to see lots of articles asking this question. Let me be clear: I am absolutely not accusing the Batman comics or films of provoking this crime. I am not saying the killer was influenced by the comics in any way apart from his appearance. I am just observing that Batman's fictional world is very strange.

Batman is a massive commercial franchise. In spite of the Colorado tragedy, the film The Dark Knight Rises is doing great box office business. Who wants to criticise popular culture and offend a million teenagers?

But when I were a lad, Batman was a very different proposition from today's dark fantasy. It meant a camp TV series with pop art jokes, like onscreen captions that said: "Sock!", "Pow!" and "Wham!" And it meant the worst ever playground joke: what does Batman's mum say when it's time for his tea?

So when did dinner-dinner-dinner-dinner BATMAN! change to Arkham Asylum and the brooding avenger? When did the Joker change from the ridiculous character in the old TV series to a random psychopath?

Fans might say that today's version of the Batworld is in fact faithful to the original comic strips from the 1940s. Batman started out dark as hell, rooted in 40s pulp detective fiction. It was in the 50s and 60s that the franchise got camp and silly, with the TV series corrupting the comics themselves.

Today's world of superhero comics is shaped by complex crossovers between self-referential postmodern graphic novels and the traditional heroes invented in early 20th-century America. Writers like Alan Moore have given graphic fiction enhanced imaginative power. In 1988, Moore wrote The Killing Joke, which tells how the Joker became the Joker and tried to convince Batman that life is "a black, awful joke". The following year, the first "modern" Batman film, directed by Tim Burton, was released.

The noir shadows of Gotham city may be more artful today than in the era of Sock! Pow! Wham!

But it seemed more innocent when Batman's mum was calling him to dinner.

Not sure why that bloke from Wheeler Dealers got a blog on the Guardian.

It's really pointless though, he even states he doesn't want to suggest that Batman's loss of innocence is in anyway linked to the killing.

No, the logical outcome is that your ticket to the movie comes with a Glock 19, a Kalashnikov rifle, a large coke and a medium pocorn.

All movie theaters will be sponsored by the NRA.

Heard that a lot - how the only way these loons are ever stopped is by a man with a gun so if there had been more armed people in the theater he would have been stopped sooner. Ignores the fact that there was tear gas, smoke bombs and a fully body-armoured lunatic wandering around, but the wild west fantasists are alive and well and using Internet forums.

I reckon lots of people trying to return fire in a darkened cinema would have gone really well.

The Police int he US have a reporting process for when they discharge their firearms (not sure if it is all states, but a lot of them do it). According to statistics for those, you get a lot of firing and not much in the way of accuracy. Anything beyond 10 feet involving revolvers or pistols tends to be very much miss and not a lot of hit. They even train police to be outside the 3-6 foot "hit zone" when concerned about firearms when confronting suspects.

These facts and many, many more that do not support the "more armed people = better" theory are to the NRA types like evolution science to a christian.

Mass shooting suspect James Eagan Holmes may have sent a notebook detailing his deadly plans to a psychiatrist at his university, it was claimed last night.

Police in Aurora, Colorado, are believed to have found a book containing stick-figure drawings of a massacre which was mailed to the University of Colorado's medical campus.

The psychiatry professor to whom the notebook was sent also treats patients at the university hospital outpatient facility, though it was not clear whether he may have had any contact with Mr Holmes before last Friday's shooting, in which 12 people died and 58 more were injured.

"Inside the package was a notebook full of details about how he was going to kill people," Fox News quoted a source as saying. "There were drawings of what he was going to do in it – drawings and illustrations of the massacre."

The book was described as a spiral-bound notebook, containing drawings of a gun-wielding stick figure shooting at other stick figures.

According to the source, the unnamed professor had believed that a different package he received in the mail on Monday morning had come from Mr Holmes, and had called the police. Although that package turned out not to be from the shooting suspect, a second was found in the mailroom.

It was not clear how long the package had remained, unopened, in the mailroom, and therefore whether the sender had expected it to be opened after the massacre – or whether it could have been found sooner and the atrocity prevented.

Mr Holmes, a 24-year-old dropout from the medical centre's doctoral programme in neuroscience, is accused of building an arsenal of four guns and 6,000 rounds of ammunition, rigging his apartment with a booby-trap bomb, and then setting out to a midnight showing of the new Batman movie with the intention of killing as many people as possible. The youngest of his victims was a six-year-old girl. Twenty people are still in hospital as a result of the shootings, seven in a critical condition.

Mr Holmes, who is being held in solitary confinement at a jail in a suburb of Denver, made his first appearance in court at the start of this week, appearing sluggish as if dazed or even drugged. He is expected to be charged with multiple counts of first-degree murder by Monday morning.

The city of Aurora remains in mourning, as families of the victims prepare to bury their dead. The first funeral was held yesterday, of 51-year-old Gordon Cowden, a self-employed real-estate appraiser who had taken his teenage daughters to see The Dark Knight Rises. His daughters escaped unharmed.

An excerpt from the funeral programme attributed to his daughter Brooke read: "I will never forget that in such disorientation and confusion of that night what was certain were your yells, declarations of 'I love you' to both of us."

The Police int he US have a reporting process for when they discharge their firearms (not sure if it is all states, but a lot of them do it). According to statistics for those, you get a lot of firing and not much in the way of accuracy. Anything beyond 10 feet involving revolvers or pistols tends to be very much miss and not a lot of hit. They even train police to be outside the 3-6 foot "hit zone" when concerned about firearms when confronting suspects.

These facts and many, many more that do not support the "more armed people = better" theory are to the NRA types like evolution science to a christian.

Not wanting to get sidetracked, but whilst 'Evangelical Christian' might be accurate there, 'Christian' certainly isn't.

Not wanting to get sidetracked, but whilst 'Evangelical Christian' might be accurate there, 'Christian' certainly isn't.

Sorry, I've been subjected to lectures on why christians are better than "muslims and other c**k-a-mamie nonsense types" recently and I forgot to make that distinction. Funnily enough, some of those lectures are followed by discussions on why the loon from Aurora should be taken out to the street and shot in the head on live television which seems rather un-christian, but that is another fact that seems to escape them.

Sorry, I've been subjected to lectures on why christians are better than "muslims and other c**k-a-mamie nonsense types" recently and I forgot to make that distinction. Funnily enough, some of those lectures are followed by discussions on why the loon from Aurora should be taken out to the street and shot in the head on live television which seems rather un-christian, but that is another fact that seems to escape them.

No worries, thst type are massive, massive c**** I can say that without any compunction whatsoever.

was it inside the cinema he shot these people or did he carry on outside?

I assume the 6 year old who was killed wasnt in a pg13 rated movie that started at midnight?

Was she maybe in the next screen? Didn't some bullets go through the wall?