By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The death penalty

Earl Hafler

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the reasons Eric says, and also because not for this case but for the other cases where there is a miscarriage of justice. There are always miscarriages of justice.

It's also a more lenient punishment than spending the rest of a life locked up, living with that on the conscience. So you know, even if you want a strictly punitive regime with harsh punishment, I'm not convinced that a swift death is more punishing than living with a tortured mind.

What's the point apart from a revanchist twitch, some cathartic stocks for the masses?

It's not a deterrent, most of these random mass killings are done by psychopaths wanting a 'glorious' exit from the world or at the very least their name on the news.

Things like this are horrible and beyond reason, you dont stop them by flogging the perpetrator and you dont achieve much beyond venting by stoning them. If they choose to live, you can lock them away to make sure they dont get another go, but they come from nowhere and cant be stopped.

What's the point apart from a revanchist twitch, some cathartic stocks for the masses?

It's not a deterrent, most of these random mass killings are done by psychopaths wanting a 'glorious' exit from the world or at the very least their name on the news.

Things like this are horrible and beyond reason, you dont stop them by flogging the perpetrator and you dont achieve much beyond venting by stoning them. If they choose to live, you can lock them away to make sure they dont get another go, but they come from nowhere and cant be stopped.

Was talking about this when the news from Denver came out. If you're prepared to do something like that you're probably also prepared that there's a good chance you yourself are going to get killed so I don't understand why it is meant to be a deterrent. At all. Just seems to exist for catharsis.

until we can be 100% certain that a person is guilty of a capital crime, the death penalty should not be an option, even for this guy.

Straddle that fence.

Either agree with it or don't, but this guy definitely did it.

For the reasons Eric says, and also because not for this case but for the other cases where there is a miscarriage of justice. There are always miscarriages of justice.

This

and even though this particular case appears to be way beyond reasonable doubt, that's only because of media reports and not because of direct evidence

Correct. The focus should be on prevention and the first step towards that should be repealing the second amendment

It's not supposed to be a deterrent its supposed to get rid.

Deterrence is frequently used as an argument by those who support it.

Any reason why not ?

I think the onus is on those who think he should to argue why.

I'm yet to hear the argument to convince me that we should kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong.

Death penalty is an absolute barbaric, insane act.

But I would like Thatcher, Ferguson and McKenzie to be fried on Old Smokey, without the water being applied to their heads

Edited by floyd

there's a lovely defence of guns going around that apparently you should ban cars as well because they kill more people than guns do each year. a car of course being uniquely designed as a lethal weapon as opposed to a mode of transport.