By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

School's out for the summer!

Bailo

May 18!!!

Mine finished on June 26, back in the first week of Sept

Midwest schools always finish early as they still think kids go to work on the farm when school finishes.

We have a couple of school districts that use the "year round" school calendar and they go back on July 30th after an 8 week break.

Our eldest has been going in 2-3 days a week to work on an engineering project and help a friend who is in summer school for Maths and Spanish.

Isn't there mild talk of chopping down the summer holiday in Schools?

There should be, I don't see who actually benefits, certainly not kids. 4 weeks would be more than sufficient, I'd also advocate a calendar year that places exams in the Winter, away from Summer distractions. (not that there are any when it rains like it has thisyear)

There should be, I don't see who actually benefits, certainly not kids. 4 weeks would be more than sufficient, I'd also advocate a calendar year that places exams in the Winter, away from Summer distractions. (not that there are any when it rains like it has thisyear)

Out of interest, do you work in education?

The 5 term year was about to be imposed by Nottingham City Council despite no support from parents or staff, the NUT fought a successful action against it.

Despite it being oft-mooted, I've yet to see any convincing evidence it would improve performance in school other than people just saying 'Well, it has to hasn't it?'. Wouldn't be opposed to it otherwise.

Despite it being oft-mooted, I've yet to see any convincing evidence it would improve performance in school other than people just saying 'Well, it has to hasn't it?'. Wouldn't be opposed to it otherwise.

The difficulty in retaining and attracting staff was something the council seemed to ignore until presented with information telling them exactly that would happen. We live south of the river so wouldn't have been affected but we have friend who would've had kids in different school calendars.

Guessing it's about convenience for working parents ahead of anything else, seems to be backed with a notion that kids forget loads in six weeks. At another guess, it will probably get some legs if a load of free schools go for it, and elected folk get cause and coincidence confused again