By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

ITIL and Career Progression

Ant

To those in the IT industry how good is ITIL, Is it worth doing? Are there any alternatives? Whats the learning curve like?

Get on some graduate scheme and they'll give you the various accreditations you need. I did the foundation for ITIL 2 some years ago after working in jobs where ITIL was seen as a big part and like most stuff it has it's uses but can be a mechanism to have people who don't know what they are doing get into process management jobs.

Get on some graduate scheme and they'll give you the various accreditations you need. I did the foundation for ITIL 2 some years ago after working in jobs where ITIL was seen as a big part and like most stuff it has it's uses but can be a mechanism to have people who don't know what they are doing get into process management jobs.

Nice one. I'm on a graduate scheme of sorts and the ITIL has been sounded out.

I've done some ITIL qualifications and although I've found the learning useful, I don't think having the qualificaitons has ever been a deal breaker in going for jobs, roles or career progression ay any stage.

I don't think the qualifications are a deal breaker but experience of process management and familiarity with ITIL concepts will help

Yep, service delivery is where its important. Though you will get to learn it without actually knowing you are/needing the cert. So not necessarily a deal breaker but it might keep you in the game with those that are still lazy enough to scan CVs - but then the line 'Familiar with ITIL concepts' might do that also.

ITIl training is useful as part of a structured approach and common language only as long as you have also worked with it in practice.

In terms of formal training there aren't really ITIL 'qualifications' per se, as I understand it, only evidence of having had a certain level of training and shown familiarity with the concepts (a semantic distinction maybe); having worked in an ITIL environment becomes more important as it is about process and disciplines. i.e. training without experience = not much good; experience without training = OK, if the experience was strong; training and experience = best.

I know that seems like a truism, but it's different from a genuine technical qualification where you would really want evidence of the certs to be sure before you let that Network guy loose on your core switches for example.