By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Looking for a new car

Dmitch

The time has come and the honda is killing me on the petrol front 28 mpg... and its time to get rid.

Im trying to spend a MAX of 7 grand.. less if possible.

The challenge if you choose to accept is to find me a car that does 50+ mpg in my budget.

Can be petrol of diesel but be no slower on the 0-62 that 10 seconds (I may be able to bend this rule slightly IF other statistics out weigh.

... would prefer a German/Japanese car but the only real no nos are french cars or horrible budget card hyandai Kia etc etc

Cheers!

Incase it helps at all i currently have a honda Civic type S (not to be confused with the S Sport)

I drive a VW passat diesel, 2.0, 140bhp and it is like s*** off a shovel (that means fast as f*** although I've never understood why). I average 51mpg on my trips to work which is about 12 miles and can top 60 mpg for longer trips. Would highly recommend. 7k would get you a low mileage second hand one.

Edited by Tobes Rafa

Get yourself a nice older diesel, didn't have to jump through so many emissions hoops and are in many ways more reliable than the newer diesels as a result.

Not sure you will get a low mileage one in many of the models quoted here for 7K though.

Hassony will probably do you a good deal at the moment.

Haha.

I would avoid the 1 series BMW like the plague. Build quality isn't brilliant and you can just about get a couple of bags of shopping in the boot if you are lucky.

Another decent car is the skoda fabia (the one they build out of cake in the adverts). They are built to German quality and they do a sporty diesel version that is excellent apparently.

If you are looking at a saloon then the 3 series is a good shout but for £7k you will be looking at one about 5-6 years old at least.

I bought a new car a couple of months ago. Generally if you look long enough on the internet you can convince yourself they are all unreliable and a waste of money. In reality this is probably not the case unless its a French car.

Anyone got any idea if LPG works out cheaper than other fuels? There's a couple of decent looking cars for sale round here that are LPG converted and seeing as I'm doing upwards of 100 miles a day I need to get as economical a car as possible for 4k or less.

Anyone got any idea if LPG works out cheaper than other fuels? There's a couple of decent looking cars for sale round here that are LPG converted and seeing as I'm doing upwards of 100 miles a day I need to get as economical a car as possible for 4k or less.

My brother in law used to have an LPG car and it certainly saved him money. Was paying around 50p-60p a litre at the time. The second tank does take up a bit of space though.

I drive a VW passat diesel, 2.0, 140bhp and it is like s*** off a shovel (that means fast as f*** although I've never understood why). I average 51mpg on my trips to work which is about 12 miles and can top 60 mpg for longer trips. Would highly recommend. 7k would get you a low mileage second hand one.

I had one of those as my last car but one and my experience was pretty much as you describe - brilliant fuel consumption, powerful, comfy and a reasonable degree of pace when needed. Not sure it was s*** off a shovel fast but was OK - I now have an Audi A6 and that has made me realise that what I thought was powereful and speedy in the Passat was nothing.... But, anyway, a Passat would certainly do the trick. The only issue would be where the driving was happening - motorways would get plenty of mpg, in and around town, not such great returns.

My brother in law used to have an LPG car and it certainly saved him money. Was paying around 50p-60p a litre at the time. The second tank does take up a bit of space though.

The ones I'm looking at are a Range Rover and a Discovery so space shouldn't be an issue :)

Had a look at the 1 series BMW and to make it worth it we would have to spend more like 14 grand so it's a no no... Will have a look at some other options over weekend.

Last time I f***ing give you any advice!