By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Noise cancelling headphones

D.Boon

I walk to work along a very busy road and although i have a nice sounding pair of on the ear headphones its hard to hear over the racket from the traffic. Inevitably meaning i crank the volume up and f*** my ears.

So is this were noise cancelling headphones come in or is it all a bit of a gimmick?

Ideally don't want to spend more than about £50?

You will struggle for what you want for £50 - noise cancelling phones ain't cheap. It can be done but you will invariably need to compromise somewhere.

Having said that, these are pretty damn good. Not exactly noise cancelling but are pretty damn good for the job.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001F6ITD8/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=11066127365&ref=asc_df_B001F6ITD8

AKG generally make good value headphones.

Edited by Pipnasty

You are going to be better going with iem's than full size headphones. There's some questions about noise cancelling technology affecting sound quality as it tries to null external noise.

From what i have read they are aimed at a continuous/constant background noises such as jet engine or train rumble and so with the coming and going of road traffic may not be as effective. There does seem to be some sound quality issues as well. I may just have to go for some good old fashioned tight as hell over the ear jobs and get my lugs sweating.

I do like the look of those AKG's

I've just treated myself to a big, f*** off pair of AKG's - they are lovely. Gonna have to listen to my entire record colelction again now to hear what I may have missed.

May stretch to a bit more if its do able.

See if you can get a pair of Audio Technica ath-m50's then. You may just be able to get a pair for around £100. Superb headphones - the best you will get for that price.

See if you can get a pair of Audio Technica ath-m50's then. You may just be able to get a pair for around £100. Superb headphones - the best you will get for that price.

Looked at those when i bought these Grado for sitting at home listening

I've just treated myself to a big, f*** off pair of AKG's - they are lovely. Gonna have to listen to my entire record colelction again now to hear what I may have missed.

I almost went with the AKG 701's when I replaced mine after checking a mates but decided against. They were really good though.

Those Audio Technica's are really well thought of over on head-fi.

They make very good headphones.

I went with the Denon AHD 5k, which are great for home, but despite the closed back they leak, so I'm stuck with the Sennheiser 380p for work which OP should definitely avoid.

I became weirdly phobic about in ears after having no problem for years. It's testament to me spending way too much time on my a*** that I get by without them.

You can get much better volume without pissing other people off though.

Shure earphones are the business.

As an aside, are these Dr Dre headphones any good? I see handfuls of people wearing them every week. Although I'm sure some of that is purely a fashion thing.

Beats generally get a bad press and are considered a victory for style over substance. They know their audience though so the frequency response is designed to emphasise low end stuff so people to listening to hip-hop and dance get more bass.

Cheers. Heard it was all about the bass actually.

Can see why they've become a fashion accessory. Nice looking enough and every footballer seems to have them round their neck!

Edited by Swipe