By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Tetra-pak heir's wife found dead

Sir Tokyo Sexwale

a few days old this, but f***ing hell, read it, pretty tragic

money doesn't buy happiness

Detectives are investigating whether one of the heirs to the Tetra Pak drinks carton fortune lived with his wife's body for up to a week after her death in their Belgravia mansion in London.

Hans Kristian Rausing was being treated in hospital on Wednesday after being arrested when detectives discovered the body of 48-year-old Eva Rausing in a bedroom during a search of the couple's home.

It emerged on Wednesday that part of the investigation into what detectives are describing as her "unexplained" death is examining how long she might have lain in her home before police arrived. A postmortem on Tuesday proved inconclusive and further tests are being carried out to establish the cause of death, which could have taken place up to a week ago.

Police from the Met's homicide and serious crime command have yet to interview Mr Rausing, 49. Scotland Yard said he remained under arrest but had been transferred to a hospital for treatment, and police officers were present. His condition is not thought to be life-threatening and it is believed he is being treated in the Maudsley hospital for drug-related issues.

The couple have struggled for many years with drug addiction. They narrowly escaped prison in 2008 after heroin and £2,000 worth of crack cocaine were found at their home when Mrs Rausing was arrested after trying to smuggle several wraps of cocaine into a reception at the American embassy in Grosvenor Square.

Mr Rausing, an heir to the £4.5bn Tetra Pak fortune, was arrested on suspicion of possession of Class A drugs after being seen driving erratically in south London on Monday. When officers went to his home in Cadogan Place to search for more drugs, they discovered Mrs Rausing's body in an upstairs bedroom. They will want to question him about whether he was living with the body for up to a week without alerting the authorities.

At the couple's Belgravia mansion on Wednesday police stood guard at the door. A well-wisher left two red roses in Mrs Rausing's memory and neighbours spoke of the reclusive couple who were rarely seen outside their home.

But those who benefited from their philanthropic work paid tribute to Mrs Rausing, who supported a number of addiction charities, and was a trustee of the Prince of Wales's charity The Prince's Foundation for Building Community.

Nick Barton, the chief executive of Action on Addiction, said: "Everyone involved with Action on Addiction is devastated to hear the news of Eva Rausing's untimely death.

"Eva worked tirelessly for years, without any desire for public recognition and despite her own health issues, to help people and charities in the addiction field through her wonderfully generous support, both as a trustee and a donor."

An insight in into the Rausings' drug problems emerged in 2008 after Mrs Rausing was caught with drugs as she tried to enter the US embassy in London. Court documents revealed she was carrying about 10g of crack cocaine, 2.5g of heroin and 2.35g of diethylpropion, a banned stimulant and appetite suppressant.

A further drugs stash, 220mg of diazepam, used to treat anxiety, was also found in her Renault Clio car and during a search of the couple's home officers found 5.63g of crack cocaine, 2.9g of heroin and almost 52g of cocaine.

The couple faced drugs charges but the prosecution was formally discontinued and they both accepted conditional cautions.

After the hearing, the Rausing family said they "hope[d] with all their hearts" that the couple could "overcome their addiction", and that they would support them.

As part of their caution, the couple were required to attend a four-month drug rehabilitation programme.

In a statement following her arrest in 2008, Mrs Rausing said: "I have made a serious mistake which I very much regret. I intend to leave as soon as possible to seek the help that I very much need. I have made a grave error and I consider myself to have taken a wrong turn in the course of my life. I am very sorry for the upset I have caused. I thank my family and friends for their kindness and understanding."

The American-born Mrs Rausing, the daughter of a wealthy Pepsi executive, met her husband in the 1980s when they were both being treated at a US drug rehabilitation centre.

Though he was born into relatively modest middle-class circumstances in Sweden, Hans Kristian Rausing's life was transformed by the vast wealth generated by his grandfather's packaging invention, which permitted milk to be kept fresh without the need for refrigeration.

His father, Hans Rausing Sr, moved the family to Britain in the 1980s to avoid Sweden's higher tax regime, and in 1996 sold his half of the Tetra Pak company to his now late brother Gad for almost £5bn.

The company is now controlled by Gad Rausing's three children, Jorn, Finn and Kirsten, who are based in Sweden. Hans Rausing Sr, now in his 80s, lives in East Sussex and is thought to have a personal fortune worth almost £6bn.

Hans Kristian Rausing has two sisters, the older of whom, Lisbet, studied at Berkeley and Harvard and went on to be a research fellow at Imperial College. Sigrid Rausing, his other sister, owns the literary magazine Granta and the publishing firm Portobello books, and is a noted philanthropist.

In an interview in 2004, she said great wealth was something that was not always easy to come to terms with. "Be open about it and be active with it," she said. She has said that her philanthropic habit developed partly from guilt, "but I think it was probably shame, if I can make that distinction. People knew you had money, so you could never say: 'Come back next month.'"

Eva and Hans Kristian Rausing were well known philanthropists, supporting, among others, charities working in the arts, sport and addiction. She was a patron of one charity, the Mentor Foundation, which worked to help people out of addiction and also boasts the Queen of Sweden, Queen Noor of Jordan and Prince Talal bin Abdul-Aziz Al Saud of Saudi Arabia as honorary trustees.

Prince Charles, with whom Hans Kristian Rausing is said to be on first-name terms, has described him as "a very special philanthropist" because of his support for drugs charities.

It's a marvellous bit of design the tetra pak carton. Was just thinking about it, how we went from glass bottles to those cleverly folded and adhesived cardboard blocks of milk almost overnight. Juice as well. Clever understated design work.

Mad that they had all that money and got bang into all sorts of gear. You don't expect it so much from the rich.

Edited by Tony Le Mesmer

Nah I do expect it, I just don't expect to hear about it.

Cocaine yeah, I'm sure that's on tap, but smack, I just don't see it cropping up as often.

I'm not sure really, there's loads of reasons for getting into heroin, but overwhelmingly often it's a response to escaping a difficult unhappy life. I'm not saying the super rich are immune from unhappiness, of course not, but they have options and places to go, moreso than kids who grow up into harsh circumstances.

Having said all that, there's farming communities I know of where the heroin is rife partly because there's nothing for the kids to do outside of farm work. Now some would say they grow up in wonderful bucolic environments with plenty of fresh produce and clean air. It takes all sorts so maybe the heirs and heiresses are similarly bored with their lot.

I'm currently reading about heroin use within the jazz community in the 50's and the thing that stands out is that a lot of established earning musicians, as well as the hard luck stories, doing it because they enjoyed it for time before doing it because they had to.

It's better value than cocaine, which the minimum purchase in the 80's would be £60 where it was possible to get £5 bags of smack and brickdust or w/e. It's not surprising that it's often the escape of those in f***ed situations but the primary driver for initial use is still enjoyment. People take it because they like it and that doesn't know social class. Add to that it's possible to function pretty well as long as you can score are clean and well fed housed etc.

The unfortunate associations with heroin are largely the unfortunate associations of the poorer heroin user.

All very true that vic, good post. I was thinking that as I was posting, but forgot to mention that the age old honest response to why people take drugs is that it's fun. Very true about functioning on heroin too. One of the biggest complaints my wife had about other doctors handling drug treatment was that they bought into the misconception that they should push for withdrawal or reduction as an ideal. My wife says its best to keep people functioning on their script for a long steady time. That way they don't try to top up by scoring and they can stay stable, have a job and keep things going. . I don't know from personal experience, but I've heard her talk about it enough.

I've got friends who've been on programs for years and they're sound. One's had his challenges and come through them, he's lucky because he's been able to manage them and get support with them.

Anne's worked around it for the last 15 years or so in Dublin and one of the problems with tons of the services are they require you getting clean first which is pretty f***ed.

Am I the only one who thought the use of the word wrap to describe the format in which cocaine was smuggled into the American embassy was sly?

Especially when it turns out to be crack, crack comes in vials. Everyone who watches The Wire knows that.

Assumed he was referring to the tetra pak thing.

Yes, I mean wrap is used socially but rarely in the media.

Reporting seizure or arrest they would normally refer to quantity / weight & and to the non drug-user, wrap doesn't actually mean anything.

Was either a sly attempt at humour or tetra-pak triggered parapraxis. If the latter, then this has been a monumental week for science.

Edited by Niemeyer

The American-born Mrs Rausing, the daughter of a wealthy Pepsi executive, met her husband in the 1980s when they were both being treated at a US drug rehabilitation centre.

Is it a good idea, if you want to stay clean, to start a relationship with someone you meet in rehab? I mean everyone's different but your odds will probably be lower?

Is it a good idea, if you want to stay clean, to start a relationship with someone you meet in rehab? I mean everyone's different but your odds will probably be lower?

Or you have someone there to support you who has been through the same issues.

• 1 month later...

Eva Rausing, who was found dead in July at the London home she shared with her husband, an heir to the TetraPak fortune, had passed on information about the unsolved 1986 murder of Swedish prime minister Olof Palme, Swedish prosecutors have revealed.

Scotland Yard confirmed on Tuesday night that it had given information to authorities in Sweden, where investigators are now reported as wanting to question Hans Kristian Rausing as a possible witness about the information his wife claimed to have obtained.

A Swedish author who has written two books on the Palme killing said Mrs Rausing first contacted him in June 2011. She claimed she had learned that Palme had been killed by an entrepreneur who feared the politician was a threat to his business.

The author, Gunnar Wall, said he had engaged in email correspondence with Rausing, who told him she had written to the businessman on three occasions about the allegations. In one email to Wall she wrote: "Don't forget to investigate if I should suddenly die! Just joking, I hope."

Wall told the Guardian: "When her emails stopped, I did not think too much about it, until I heard that she had died in circumstances that were unclear."

"She also told me that she was going to inform the prosectors in Sweden and it seemed like she had some arrangement to meet them."

Hans Kristian Rausing was given a 10-month suspended custodial sentence earlier this month after admitting preventing the lawful burial of his wife, a fellow drug addict. Rausing kept her body hidden at their home in Belgravia, London, for two months under a pile of clothing and bin bags.

Sweden's Dagens Nyheter newspaper says British police found information regarding Palme's murder when they searched Eva's computer.

Kerstin Skarp, Sweden's deputy prosecutor general, said: "I can confirm that Eva Rausing contacted the Palme investigators and that we have received information from the British authorities. I cannot disclose any other information about the status of the investigation."

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "We are in the possession of information that we have sent on to the Swedish authorities."

Palme was shot by a single assailant in central Stockholm on the evening of 28 February 1986, while walking home from the cinema with his wife Lisbeth.

A Social Democrat, he was a strong critic of the Vietnam war, earning Washington's wrath, was a mediator to end the Iran-Iraq war, and was active in the South African anti-apartheid struggle.

Palme's wife identified the gunman as Christer Pettersson, a petty criminal, and he was given a life sentence by a district court. However, the appeal court later ruled that her eyewitness account was not credible and released him. Pettersson later confessed to a newspaper, only to retract his statements, and died in 2004.

Other suspects have included Kurdish militantsand the South African and Yugoslav secret services.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/aug/29/eva-rausing-information-murder-olaf-palme

sounds like a job for Regan

da now now

da now now

da

da da da

da da

da da da

It's a marvellous bit of design the tetra pak carton. Was just thinking about it, how we went from glass bottles to those cleverly folded and adhesived cardboard blocks of milk almost overnight. Juice as well. Clever understated design work.

f***ing b*****d to get open. You either tear the thing halfway down or have to get a knife to it. Bloody rubbish.

I'm glad she's dead. there. I said it.

Edited by matty

You have to be firm but fair with a carton spout and they open very well when you master it. The worst ones are the juice bricks that don't tear and so you have to cut across the spout but you haven't got scissors to hand so you cut it with a knife and make a hash of it and spill some juice.

So yeah, good riddance to the smack head bitch.