• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m genuinely pleased for you that you can find this additional source of jubilation/vindication it must be like winning the league twice 

Who cares really. I don’t even think of them. Which is probably a sign of decent owners tbf. Dunno why anyone is thinking of them right now mind. 

Win the league for the first time in 30 years and straight to this thread to claim credit for FSG or claim credit for liking them more than anyone else. I mean... sure, if you want.  

52 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

Of course he will. But if Salah, van Dijk, Mane, Firmino and Henderson get £5m each, which on the basis of what they earn and their standing in the squad is viable, that's £25m of £60m from 5 players. Klopp feasibly even more than the players so you can get more than half of it from 6 people. 

Every online report I've read on the subject suggests 2m would be extravagant

1 hour ago, Hightown Phil said:

I'd say about £60m is a pretty reasonable assumption for what the players contracts had written in to them in terms of a bonus from winning it personally. Not sure what you think it is but it certainly isn't a wild estimate and I can't remember it being disproven. Forbes say Salah earned £300k+ a week, so that's a fairly punchy bonus based on his salary which is rumoured to be £200k a week. 

I thought your argument on this was that it wasn't the full amount that went on bonuses, but just the difference between getting to the final and winning it?

11 minutes ago, kop205 said:

I thought your argument on this was that it wasn't the full amount that went on bonuses, but just the difference between getting to the final and winning it?

I think that point was that we're weren't that much better off, if at all, for winning than losing as the difference was fairly insignificant in comparison to the bonuses. 

Is what I'm referring to

Edited by Earl Hafler
52 minutes ago, Maldini said:

Bit "what have the Romans ever done for us?" this isn't it?

In other news the Premier League have cancelled their biggest overseas broadcast rights contract so that's $650m potentially gone for the league over the next three seasons.

Works out about $11m (~£8m) per club per season (if that $650m was for the three years and not per season)

15 minutes ago, kop205 said:

Was more that people thought the Champions League victory meant you'd suddenly become much wealthier, which mainly due to how much you pay out in bonuses relative to the extra you make isn't the case. The best short term and long term financial outcomes of winning trophies are probably at direct odds with each other. 

23 minutes ago, Alonso said:

Works out about $11m (~£8m) per club per season (if that $650m was for the three years and not per season)

It'll be more than that for us, overseas TV payments are weighted more towards where you finish in the table

Yep, no ST sales at all this year. Sounds like the club will give a select group (ST holders, Members?) first choice if & when limited capacity opening start. With no punishment, in terms of ST renewal next summer, if they elect to opt out.

Sounds okay but some negative situations will arise over the season. But it's one of those where the ticket office can't really win. 

5 hours ago, Earl Hafler said:

I think that point was that we're weren't that much better off, if at all, for winning than losing as the difference was fairly insignificant in comparison to the bonuses. 

Is what I'm referring to

Read the post afterwards on June 25th. Amazing!

Well, yeah. I'm still waiting for some evidence or stat that would suggest we're doubling the salaries of our best players if they reach the CL final. 

What's the point in that? An outfit like FSG offering incentives that dwarf those reported at Barca and Real

And contracts with our sponsors are similarly performance based, which would cover some of those bonuses 

Your figures increase the salaries of key players between 50-100 percent. 

Hendo is on 140k a week, apparently, but you have him on a 5m bonus for a CL final spot. 

You mentioned Salah earning the equivalent of 300k+ a week but his league assist and goal bonuses would account for most of the difference with his basic wage. 

It was a rough estimate. We can knock it down a bit if you want. But at least we’ve made progress from you saying the bonus the players received was a combined £8m so let’s just say we spend s***loads of money on wages and incentives and move on and save yourself having to go back 14 months so we can argue semantics. 

6 hours ago, Hightown Phil said:

Was more that people thought the Champions League victory meant you'd suddenly become much wealthier, which mainly due to how much you pay out in bonuses relative to the extra you make isn't the case. The best short term and long term financial outcomes of winning trophies are probably at direct odds with each other. 

Best stop winning trophies pronto then if they cost us so much money.

Not buying any players whilst everyone else does should take care of that though, so double win.

Just now, kop205 said:

Best stop winning trophies pronto then if they cost us so much money.

Not buying any players whilst everyone else does should take care of that though, so double win.

Big loss actually in the long run and completely at odds with the aim of the game for the owners. 

Bottom line is they run us like a business & we have to make money. There are no gifts. We've just built new facilities at a cost of what - 50m? And a new stand.

We're being run in a manner that means we don't go t*** up when something like COVID hits. It's not sexy to be on a budget with buying players but Mini & the Greek cost 20m, that's not a lot these days but it's not nothing either. 

50 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

It was a rough estimate. We can knock it down a bit if you want. But at least we’ve made progress from you saying the bonus the players received was a combined £8m so let’s just say we spend s***loads of money on wages and incentives and move on and save yourself having to go back 14 months so we can argue semantics. 

Where did I say £8m? 

The rest of that post is just thrashing around in the water 

33 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

Big loss actually in the long run and completely at odds with the aim of the game for the owners. 

Winning trophies is a big loss in the long run? Or buying players? 

Edited by Earl Hafler
5 minutes ago, Earl Hafler said:

Where did I say £8m? 

The rest of that post is just thrashing around in the water 

Winning trophies is a big loss in the long run? 

At one point you were saying the total bonus split among the squad amounted to £8m. But I don’t care enough to go and find it. 

And no, winning trophies is a big win in the long run because the things that come with it are how the value of the club grows, and the value of the club is their concern.

27 minutes ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

Bottom line is they run us like a business & we have to make money. There are no gifts. We've just built new facilities at a cost of what - 50m? And a new stand.

We're being run in a manner that means we don't go t*** up when something like COVID hits. It's not sexy to be on a budget with buying players but Mini & the Greek cost 20m, that's not a lot these days but it's not nothing either. 

S'ok Maca, everyone else will go bust and it'll be Us and Burnley for the league, as said before, as we've Both spent next to nowt, oh and Newcastle, cos no one wants to go there.

Got a text from EE this afternoon. They're doubling the price of the BT Sport app from £5 per month to £10.

Another season without fans and clubs will be cutting prices to tempt back 'customers'.