Sign in to follow this  
Chewie

FSG Watch...

9 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

Where would the ‘ambitious owner’ get this money from? 

A mission to the ocean floor, collecting precious minerals, with a grabber claw.

Just now, Hightown Phil said:

You know they aren’t allowed to do that. 

Lol OK then. So you reckon if John Henry said 'here's 50m for Werner from my own funds' we'd have to turn it down?

The club has been repeatedly profitable the past few years, it would be totally workable under current FFP regulations. 

15 minutes ago, Sion said:

Lol OK then. So you reckon if John Henry said 'here's 50m for Werner from my own funds' we'd have to turn it down?

The club has been repeatedly profitable the past few years, it would be totally workable under current FFP regulations. 

My understanding of it would be yes. If we were to put £50m and lose £50m, and then the following year we broke even we’d be at -£50m for those two years which is way over the threshold and we’d fail it. It’s on a rolling three year period so eventually you reach a point where the years stop helping each other. Worth remembering we’ve made a profit recently cos we’ve gone a long way above expectations on the pitch, as opposed to being set in a way that means you would generate a solid profit by going out of the champions league in the quarters and coming 3rd. 

And this is ignoring that doing a cash projection for the next few months would be like doing a 4 week weather forecast.

Edited by Hightown Phil

1 hour ago, Sion said:

Molby is spot on about FSG as usual. 

They bought us for 200m, were s*** at the start. Got a bit better. Then got lucky Klopp wanted to come. Now we're worth 10 times what they paid. 

Any ambitious owner looks at our squad, sees the very real danger of it going stale or injuries happening, and makes sure the money is there to invest to keep us at the top. 

We're in danger of sleepwalking into a situation next summer where the front 3 are all touching 30 and there's no obvious succession planning. Sancho and Havertz are almost definitely going to move this summer. Players of their like don't become available every year. This is also the most pull we'll maybe ever have. We're the obvious choice. Who knows what situation we'll be in in 18-24 months time. 

God forbid. The economics of modern football eh? What a c*nt that is. I wonder how you stop it?

Is this resentment all part of the attraction for you?

Not to jump on the FSG are s***e bandwagon but they do have form for not spending from a position of strength.

They’ve budgeted for “down years” with the Red Sox after successful seasons.

Seems to be their modus operandi.

59 minutes ago, Boca said:

Not to jump on the FSG are s***e bandwagon but they do have form for not spending from a position of strength.

It’s not them, it’s their algorithm 

it’s telling them that buying the players Klopp wants, in order to refresh the squad at the correct time, just isn’t a smart play in these uncertain times 

so, I’m not one to throw out the baby with the bath water - where’s the centrism in that?

but on the other hand, this “they must be beyond reproach as we have won the league” attitude is a bit naive imo 

They’ve expanded the stadium, they’ve brought in the best manager since Bob, we’ve won the CL and the PL, they’re Wall St knobs, their biggest internet fans are proper squares, it’s all true and it’s all fine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Molby said:

It’s not them, it’s their algorithm 

it’s telling them that buying the players Klopp wants, in order to refresh the squad at the correct time, just isn’t a smart play in these uncertain times 

so, I’m not one to throw out the baby with the bath water - where’s the centrism in that?

but on the other hand, this “they must be beyond reproach as we have won the league” attitude is a bit naive imo 

I think these are different things. The first that Boca mentions is a generic US Sports approach that I don't really think they'd try and put in to action in football because they've learned the vast differences between the way the sport works, which they definitely didn't grasp at first. Moving your best player on at the expense of winning in the short term (which is what they've just done with Mookie Betts) to do what is effectively a reset isn't an FSG policy, it's something that pretty much every US Sports team will have done at some point in history. I'm not sure there's any chance of them carrying that through simply because the idea of a regression that sees teams rewarded for being s***e exists in Baseball while it's seriously damaging in football because being at least the 4th best is fairly important. 

The second bit that you mention is a view on conditions we're currently in. If they're wrong with any projections then it's possible to fix it fairly easily, if they're correct then we'll be in a really strong position relative to people who'll end up being punished for getting theirs wrong. 

When we buy Mbappe with Nike’s money after the Champions League finishes there’s gonna be a few embarrassed faces on here

1 hour ago, Boca said:

different set up in America though with the draft system

12 minutes ago, Cobs said:

When we buy Mbappe with Nike’s money after the Champions League finishes there’s gonna be a few embarrassed faces on here

As long as he can cover CB I’m happy

19 hours ago, muleskinner said:

we won the league 2 days ago.

He was happy for a couple of hours. Leave him alone.

Edited by Dan
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Gunga Din said:

different set up in America though with the draft system

Yeah different system but the baseball draft is more for the long term in comparison to the other American sports.