By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Wireless Router

Montse

I have a feeling my wireless router is on its way out - its a 3Com and I've had it for about 5 years so probably doesnt owe me anything but it does seem to be v sluggish and warm

So I'm having a look at a new one but have no idea what I am looking for - I have 8mb broadband (used to be Bulldog but is now Home Telecom) and run a variety of laptops, smart phones and a printer on it. The security we currently use is WEP and MAC address filtering. My work lapper is connected via CAT5 but the rest is wireless

Googling them there is a huge variety and a wide range of prices so guess I'd prob go to about £70 or so if it was good and easy to use

Anyone got any recommendations or tips as to what I should be looking for? Linksys look a good make being part of Cisco but no idea really

Cheers oh techie forumites :)

This is what I have and it is rock solid

http://www.netgear.c...e/WNDR3400.aspx

Definitely this or a Belkin http://uk.insight.co...CFVMetAodwVvbxg

We got fibre optic internet connection a while back so had to get a free router from IP which is a Netgear25 as the Belkin one we had wasn't suitable for fibre optic. Highly recommend both of them. Had a Linksys once and it was awful.

Cheers mate, my broadband company have had me running round the house testing phone lines and there may be a wee fault on the line but may look at getting a new router anyway :)

How long have you been with them? Might be worth seeing if they could give you a new router if you have been with them a fair while?

Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated. Its starting to look as though there may be a problem with the ADSL filter or the phone line thats causing the slow performance but will be looking to get a new router either from Home Telecom or myself :)

Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated. Its starting to look as though there may be a problem with the ADSL filter or the phone line thats causing the slow performance but will be looking to get a new router either from Home Telecom or myself :)

Is your internet connection on the wired work laptop faster than the wireless? Also, do you live in an apartment complex where you have plenty of neighboring internet connections that can be seen when searching for your connection? Is your connection slower on weekends and after 6 pm-ish on weekdays? Then, I would suggest changing your router channel to a more unique one and see if that makes the connection quicker, before you invest in a new router.

Else, ignore please. :D

My link:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21132/change-your-wi-fi-router-channel-to-optimize-your-wireless-signal/ could help.

Even then, a 5 year old router may not be able to handle a non-regular channel number and will drop your connection often.

Thanks Carrafan - to answer your question work lapper isnt much diff as its also connected via a VPN - I've done a speed test on both and v similar

I live in the leafy burbs and have already changed the channel (13) so its unique to my neighbours - and having looked at the link no one else is on that channel.

I've been asked to test my ADSL filter so will have a go at that to see if it really is the line - jeez why did I start this - and I work for a bloody telecoms company too!