By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Abbreviations

Sir Tokyo Sexwale

obviously most text speak - I'm not going to say all because there's probably one ok text abbreviation out there somewhere, but other common ones I f***ing hate are

Chrimbo - (even moreso after that f***ing song 'Proper Chrimbo' a few years back)

Congrats (for Congratulations, in case you couldn't work that out). Don't know why, but it grates

obviously most text speak - I'm not going to say all because there's probably one ok text abbreviation out there somewhere, but other common ones I f***ing hate are

Chrimbo - (even moreso after that f***ing song 'Proper Chrimbo' a few years back)

Congrats (for Congratulations, in case you couldn't work that out). Don't know why, but it grates

I don't mind congrats when it's written spoken is very s*** and grats is never acceptable

Chrimbo doesn't bother me either though I never use it. I hate seeing xmas and it has f*** all to do with the crossing out Christ nonsense either

the X in Xmas I always assumed was just lazy; Crossmas = Christmas in some sort of lame way.

I could be wrong

Probably is - but some still moan that "Christ" has been removed from it. All part of the ongoing gripe that it's not about the Christ child anymore for some.

I have. Heard a few people over the years moaning about Xmas cos "Christ" is taken out along with the "'meaning" apparently.

Yeah that one is particularly mental! X or is as old as Christianity. Maybe the dudes who did this were trying to secularize the Book of Kells:

3J6dVVO6nhahy5ieNiHW2lXTo1_400.jpg

Those two for sure. Chrimbo especially (as well as Xmas).

Another one that gets me is 'invite' as in 'we got an invite to Jerry and Glenda's wedding'. INVITATION you twunts.

And not so much a hatred of a specific abbreviation but I do hate in when people unnecessarily put apostrophes in abbreviated things e.g. 60's.

An initialism rather than abbreviation, but YMMV is in common usage on a mailing list I'm on.

Apparently it stands for 'Your mileage may vary' and is used in the context of "this worked for me, but it might not work for you". Despite this fairly modest meaning it manages to come across as massively patronising whenever I see it used.

My mate went through a stage where he was calling things leet, but he'd spell them l33t, and start chatting on how he pwned someone. Banter with him was atrocious.

That's chanspeak/lolspeak/whatever.

The internet noshing itself off.

That's chanspeak/lolspeak/whatever.

The internet noshing itself off.

All that s**** falls under the "leetspeak" umbrella......and when used in verbal conversation is f***ing annoying. I love hearing people describing the "pwn/pwned" thing as if it's a really cleverly thought out creation - when all it is some idiot originally making a typo and people jumping on him for it.

You'll be pleased to know that the use of smileys also falls under "leetspeak" ;)