By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

PC techy help please

Gunga Din

Obviously we have reinstalled java and hit it with a hammer, and even turned everything off and on again, but alas the problem persists.We have wireless sky broadband, which runs 3 laptops. 2 of the laptops are running fine, all the mobile phones can use the wireless no prob,however, one of the laptops is no longer connecting to the googles, it just says server not found when you try and log on, i can see our sky hub when i look at the available wifis, but it wont connect t it and tehn offers the usual microsoft troubleshoot stuff which is f*** all help . any ideas greatly appreciated.

Obviously we have reinstalled java and hit it with a hammer, and even turned everything off and on again, but alas the problem persists.We have wireless sky broadband, which runs 3 laptops. 2 of the laptops are running fine, all the mobile phones can use the wireless no prob,however, one of the laptops is no longer connecting to the googles, it just says server not found when you try and log on, i can see our sky hub when i look at the available wifis, but it wont connect t it and tehn offers the usual microsoft troubleshoot stuff which is f*** all help . any ideas greatly appreciated.

Windows?

In that case go to Network and Sharing Center -> Manage Wireless Networks -> Right click on relevant network and remove. Then try and connect back to the network and see if that works.

If that doesn't do the trick, try connecting wired temporarily to check if alls fine with the adapter and then we'll look at other debugging options.

Windows?

In that case go to Network and Sharing Center -> Manage Wireless Networks -> Right click on relevant network and remove. Then try and connect back to the network and see if that works.

If that doesn't do the trick, try connecting wired temporarily to check if alls fine with the adapter and then we'll look at other debugging options.

This has happened to me in the past, I needed to get a new IP address I think.

Try searching the Geekpolice forums.

If the wifi adapter on the laptop has a fixed IP address, it may not be able to connect to your wireless network.

What's the exact error message that you get when you try to connect to your home wireless, and which version of Windows is it?

i've a similar issue with my internet radio

was working fine, then all of sudden stopped. It can see the WiFI but when you put the WEP key in it just says it's unable to connect. Laptop, iPhones all connect to it fine.

v. annoying. No idea how to fix it

i've a similar issue with my internet radio

was working fine, then all of sudden stopped. It can see the WiFI but when you put the WEP key in it just says it's unable to connect. Laptop, iPhones all connect to it fine.

v. annoying. No idea how to fix it

What model is it Cobs ? ( the radio )

I had a similar problem to you and Wayne and tinkered with the router / hub settings. http://192.168.1.1/ is the usual address. You can then configure settings, change the channel, reset to factory default and start afresh etc.

Edited by Earl Hafler

Hope this helps

Some access points may be set so that only equipment with

registered MAC addresses can connect to them. This is one

possible cause of the IMP being unable to connect to the WiFi

network, and the IMP display will show Bad ESSID or Key.

To overcome this problem you will need to add the IMP’s MAC

address to the list of allowed equipment in your Access point.

The IMP’s MAC address can be found using the menu item

Configure -> Network Config-> View Config -> MAC address.

You will need to refer to the guide for your Access Point in

order to enter the IMP as an allowed piece of equipment.

Edited by Earl Hafler

cool - this is probably what's causing it

but i've no idea what any of it means

ESSID - none (sounds like this is an issue but i've no idea what it should be)

I have a MAC Address, IP address, Network device

Anyways - i'm into this Network COnfig thing now and am clearly f*cking it up :yes:

getting a DNS servers invalid error message now - no idea what that means either

cool - this is probably what's causing it

but i've no idea what any of it means

ESSID - none (sounds like this is an issue but i've no idea what it should be)

I have a MAC Address, IP address, Network device

You don't know how to add an access point ?

It's not difficult but you should refer to the manual ( hard copy or online ) for whatever you have

Edited by Earl Hafler

You don't know how to add an access point ?

add an access point? Of course i know how to add an access point? what kind of dumbass techyt*** do you take me for?

what's an access point?

Hidden SSID If your network name or SSID has been hidden

the radio will not be able to find it You can either turn on the

SSID of your access point and then select one of the options

as on page 6 ‘[Rescan]’ or enter the SSID into the radio.

You could try something simple like connecting the radio to your pc / laptop with the ethernet cable to see if it resolves the problem.

Have you clicked on the 192 link above ?

You could try something simple like connecting the radio to your pc / laptop with the ethernet cable to see if it resolves the problem.

doesn't have a slot for it

Have you clicked on the 192 link above ?

yeah - cant connect to it

Should my IP address be the same as my gateway address?

Should i Auto (DHCP) ? Yes or No?

http://www.aqcheckout.com/content/pdf/products/magicbox_userguide.pdf

user guide is here but it might as well be in Belgian

You want page 32.

To check your IP / Gateway, click on " Start " on your desktop, type cmd into the space . After a few seconds a command prompt should appear. Type ipconfig , hit enter. It will show you the settings.

By the sounds of this, you just need to get the 12 digit MAC address from your MagicBox and enter them into your router.

doesn't have a slot for it

yeah - cant connect to it

What router you got ?

You want page 32.

To check your IP / Gateway, click on " Start " on your desktop, type cmd into the space . After a few seconds a command prompt should appear. Type ipconfig , hit enter. It will show you the settings.

OK done that - still not working - but it feels like i'm on to something

By the sounds of this, you just need to get the 12 digit MAC address from your MagicBox and enter them into your router.

how?

What router you got ?

BT Infitity homehub

You want page 32.

on this - where do i find out what my DNS Server 1 is ?

not sure if this will help but maybe if u flush your dns, type cmd into the search area it should give u a small screen windows cmd.exe type ipconfig /all it should give u all the info on ip addresses and mac addresses. To flush the dns just type ipconfig /flushdns

Edited by Farmer's tan