By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Motorway Driving.

Case

Last night. On the M6, doing a comfortable 75mph (I know, I know) in the middle lane, a f***ing motorhome on the inside lane ahead of me, slightly held up by another vehicle doing maybe 65 indicates and immediately pulls out (I mean it's within half a second) causing me to brake hard then pull out to the outside lane (very quick mirror check), otherwise an accident, no question. Me, wife and 4 year old would have been f***ed if anyone was in the outside lane as I had nowhere to go. c***.

Then today, M6, M40 - loads of similar instances with Artic's, Cars etc... Lower speeds, but much worse driving conditions.

I thought indicating was meant to show an intention to move out, when it is safe to do so, not an 'I've f***ing indicated, I am pulling out right NOW, and if you rear end me at 75/80 and cause a massive f***ing accident, it is your fault'?

It happened so much I'm seriously doubting if I'm the one in the wrong?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't mean 'Am I wrong' in the general sense, that's a given, as you so frequently remind me. ;)

It was a Motorhome though - brand new, UK plates, not a towing caravan. These f*****s can do big speeds. They had kids in the back too, no seatbelts were obvious. Moron.

It's the ones gently going along at 60-65 in the 1st lane who are the f***ing worst of the lot, because when they decide to go around someone doing 1 or 2 mph less than them, they just pull out. There's no accounting for the speed of the traffic in that lane.

And i f***ing hate it when people indicate left to go in the near side lane but then take their foot off the gas or worse brake slightly while they change lanes. What kind of f***wit needs to slow down to change lanes. Just change lanes and keep the f*** out of my way while your doing it.

While we are on the subject of idiot drivers, just one more (though, how long have you got for this stuff because there's an awful lot of them about) - its the lazy sloppy t***s who cut the corners when turning right off a main road. Cut the corner off so they drive across the end of the oncoming lane. So I have to brake and wait for the prick to get round the corner before I can get to the stop line.

How hard is it to steer a f***ing car properly and turn a corner ? For what seems like an increasing number it's getting to be optional to know how to drive with due care and attention. Merely starting the car and being able to make it go forward seems to be the gold standard.

Last night. On the M6, doing a comfortable 75mph (I know, I know) in the middle lane, a f***ing motorhome on the inside lane ahead of me, slightly held up by another vehicle doing maybe 65 indicates and immediately pulls out (I mean it's within half a second) causing me to brake hard then pull out to the outside lane (very quick mirror check), otherwise an accident, no question. Me, wife and 4 year old would have been f***ed if anyone was in the outside lane as I had nowhere to go. c***.

Then today, M6, M40 - loads of similar instances with Artic's, Cars etc... Lower speeds, but much worse driving conditions.

I thought indicating was meant to show an intention to move out, when it is safe to do so, not an 'I've f***ing indicated, I am pulling out right NOW, and if you rear end me at 75/80 and cause a massive f***ing accident, it is your fault'?

sounds like you woke up in Germany

Not to defend those pulling out with not enough care, but I was always of the opinion that there is one permanent lane and two overtaking ones, to be used only to pass slower vehicles before returning to the main lane.

While you're right, it sounds like Case was overtaking at that point, and Mr Motorhomec*** just figured people were getting out of his way

You're not wrong. Motorhome driver needs to check his mirrors if the lane he's moving into is free. Seeing as it caused you to hit the brakes and almost an accident it clearly wasn't free. Loads of similar instances = loads of similar mistakes.

While we are on the subject of idiot drivers, just one more (though, how long have you got for this stuff because there's an awful lot of them about) - its the lazy sloppy t***s who cut the corners when turning right off a main road. Cut the corner off so they drive across the end of the oncoming lane. So I have to brake and wait for the prick to get round the corner before I can get to the stop line.

How hard is it to steer a f***ing car properly and turn a corner ? For what seems like an increasing number it's getting to be optional to know how to drive with due care and attention. Merely starting the car and being able to make it go forward seems to be the gold standard.

This does my head in as well. They're always the ones who don't even look at you, so you don't even get the satisfaction of them knowing you've made a dissaproving gesture ("How did you miss that ref?"-type hand gestures are my current favourite)

Not to defend those pulling out with not enough care, but I was always of the opinion that there is one permanent lane and two overtaking ones, to be used only to pass slower vehicles before returning to the main lane.

That's the way it is in Ireland anyway. People pottering along in "the middle lane" reduces the motorway's capacity drastically, for you and for everybody else. No sympathy, Case, I'm afraid; cop on in future you bold boy.

In my experience 75 is the absolute worst speed to do on the motorway. Too fast for the slow vehicles and too slow for the quick ones. I find 80 far better as the 65 w*****s don't pull out on you as they think you are travelling too fast and you are not that much slower than the cruisers in the fast lane, so if you do need to pull out they wont be jamming their anchors on.

That's the way it is in Ireland anyway. People pottering along in "the middle lane" reduces the motorway's capacity drastically, for you and for everybody else. No sympathy, Case, I'm afraid; cop on in future you bold boy.

Whilst Case is quite clearly insane, in this particular instance (as has been pointed out) he's quite clearly over-taking someone. At no point does he say he's "pottering along" in the middle lane.

Whilst Case is quite clearly insane, in this particular instance (as has been pointed out) he's quite clearly over-taking someone. At no point does he say he's "pottering along" in the middle lane.

doing a comfortable 75 in middle lane...thats more pottering than overtaking...he doesnt mention hes overtaking anyone.

A good driver would always try and leave an exit for him in case something happens

doing a comfortable 75 in middle lane...thats more pottering than overtaking...he doesnt mention hes overtaking anyone.

He's doing 75 in the middle lane.

Someone else is doing 65 in the inside lane.

"Someone else" pulls out and causes him to break and swerve into another lane.

Feel free to come up with a plausable scenario where this isn't generally termed as "overtaking".

Middle lane hogger.

......and if you leave a sensible gap between you and the car in front some c*** just has to fill it. There are a terrible lot of fools on the road.

Aye, pisses me right off, especially when I have the kids in the car. SO do people doing 40 in a 60, only to carry on doing 40 when you get to a 30 or 20 in a village like they have a divine right to drive an average speed of 40 wherevever they go and people who don't indicate or use the right lane at round-a-bouts can f*** right off as well!!

If there are lots of slower moving vehicles, which there usually are, do you keep changing lanes or judge that you will be overtaking way beyond and so stay in the middle lane until theres a clearer strech ?

Theres usually miles upon of motorway with people travelling at 55-65 in the first lane.

Aye, pisses me right off, especially when I have the kids in the car. SO do people doing 40 in a 60, only to carry on doing 40 when you get to a 30 or 20 in a village like they have a divine right to drive an average speed of 40 wherevever they go and people who don't indicate or use the right lane at round-a-bouts can f*** right off as well!!

This drives me f*cking mental, absolutely moronic driving.

Those people who pull in about 50 yards before a lane closure as well, it's you that's causing the queue d*ckheads!

Middle lane hogger.

:lol:

Right ... To clarify .... I was doing a comfortable 75, but was starting to accelerate as another car in the middle lane 60/70 or so yards ahead was doing much the same speed, and I fancied going past them. It was at this point, that Motorhome man decided to amble into the middle lane and caused me to brake hard.

Take all your points, but if I was doing 80 or 85 it wouldn't have mattered a jot, as the f***** pulled out without looking at all. No way did he use his mirrors. He indicated, so obviously felt he was in the right to pull out, so he did. The g*******.

He's doing 75 in the middle lane.

Someone else is doing 65 in the inside lane.

"Someone else" pulls out and causes him to break and swerve into another lane.

Feel free to come up with a plausable scenario where this isn't generally termed as "overtaking".

the scenario is hes just pottering along at 75 in the middle lane irrespective of whats going on in his inside lane. Had he said I went into the middle lane from the inside lane, increased my speed to overtake some slower moving vehicles including a motorhome and then it just swerved out in front of me, then I'd agree with you, but from what I can read he was just going down the middle lane at 75. If pottering along in a faster lane irrespective of whats happening in the inside lane is overtaking then fair enough.

A good driver would always try and leave an exit for him in case something happens

This. My experience as a motorcycle rider has taught me that the best thing to do is always assume that other road users will do the most stupid thing possible. As you drive along, look at every car and ask yourself "what would I do if that guy braked/changed lanes/got a puncture etc"

If you have no answer, you're not driving safely enough or with enough awareness. Every single accident can be avoided.