By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Gardening Advice

DPD1973

I'm looking for something that can grow quickly, capable of ideally covering both a wall and a concrete pavement - its at the side of the house, gets plenty of sunlight and needs to be evergreen, if it eats/kills everything around it thats a bonus. Some kind of Ivy plant I guess but not being green-fingered I havent a clue what to look for other than 'ivy'.

Any gardeners on the site who could recommend a specific plant for this type of scenario? The concreted area is prone to weeds as it currently covered by crappy paving and the wall is just a bonus if its covered so floor growing plants are acceptable too. Must be an evergreen plant though. My limited gardening knowledge leads me to believe that May might be too late in the year to start planting this type of thing so advice on timing would be helpful too - should I wait until say October or March to do this?

Help please if you can!

You need to be careful with Ivy, because once it gets going it can easily get out of control and will start eating in to your property - dislodging gutters, getting under slates, pulling out mortar from the brickwork etc. Ideally you need something that grows up your walls rather than taking root in them. The problem you then have is that if they don't dig themselves in somewhere up the way, they aren't as likley to climb higher and wider... so you have a dilemma... better coverage and the slow destruction of your property vs less impressive cover but a more benign presence.

The other problem with ivy for me is that although the lush greenery is attractive, that's kind of all it does, there are no flowers, no colours no smells etc. other than the leaves. Not entirely true, they do put out flowers but they are incredibly dull and unpreposessing.

I don't like em personally but something like a passion flower might do the trick - they are incredibly fast growing, are evergreen but they don't root along their branches, they, just climb. The downside is that they get a bit 'leggy' and don't climb too high without support

Some climbing roses are useful - again they may need some support but they can grow very aggressively, they do need more care and attention than a passion flower though. Jasmine is the same - beautiful scent to it as well.

But if it was me I'd do two plants together: I'd plant a Wisteria and a Clematis. Sinensis is the most common Wisteria species and is widely available - probably the one you are guaranteed to find at most garden centres etc. and which will give you glorious flowers and scent every year. Once it's established it's more of a tree-like thing but it does clilmb and is particularly well-suited to being trained round buildings etc. (nothing technical in this - just bend a large branch where you want it to go and find some way of holding it there, a year later it will be fixed there permanently as the stems gets thicker and more solid).

Wisteria isn't properly evergreen but often retains its leaves from year to year. To supplement that though I would plant an evergreen Clematis at or near the base of the Wisteria and that will naturally use the Wisteria as a frame to climb round. Clematis fall into various groups depending on when they flower, the flower size etc. - so if you go for this Wisteria and Clematis combination I'd go for a late flowering species or cultivar (some of them will even be flowering December/January) purely because the Wisteria generally tends to flower from May to June.

Edited by charlie clown

Presuming there is a small patch of earth to plant something, I'd go for Jasmine - will grow very quickly and flowers in the summer. Get it planted now and you'll be fine. Or you can get evergreen clematis, honeysuckle or passion flowers, all good quick climbers?

I don't like em personally but something like a passion flower might do the trick - they are incredibly fast growing, are evergreen but they don't root along their branches, they, just climb. The downside is that they get a bit 'leggy' and don't climb too high without support

This....very easy to maintain, best way to "bush them out" is to leave it for the first year and then trim back here and there, this will also give you more flowers the following year.

Which is true, but then again, it's true also of the Clematis, Wisteria, Jasmine etc.etc.

Yeah but aside from Jasmine the rest are deciduous and the downside with Wisteria is come Autumn you will be sweeping up leaves for weeks on end.

Which is true, but then again, it's true also of the Clematis, Wisteria, Jasmine etc.etc.

To get a Wisteria flowering properly and abundantly you have to prune twice, September to 6 buds and then Feb to 2 buds so its not quite that simple....