By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

sharepoint / online

surf

I have a sharepoint database that i want to share online with external parties. The database contains information belonging to those external clients. I want each external party to see only their own records.

For example: a list of all premiership players, clubs can login to see information on their own players but not other clubs' players.

Requirements:

- privacy (see above)

- live connection with the sharepoint database (any changes made in the sharepoint database are visible online)

- if external parties can add information into a "comments" column that would be nice

Company bureacracy means this will get built around 2013, which is a bit silly really. Any way to do this myself or with the help of someone tech savvy?

What's wrong with sharepoint?

And any ideas what could work? I've been looking at Google docs, but i cant sync that with Access/Sharepoint and i cant restrict users to only see certain records.

What's wrong with sharepoint?

And any ideas what could work? I've been looking at Google docs, but i cant sync that with Access/Sharepoint and i cant restrict users to only see certain records.

you probably need a CRM system either to go with or instead of it mate. Never used sharepoint but that functionality is commonplace in a CRM. Sharepoint from what I understand is more typically used or doc sharing inside the firewall on projects and intranets. Could be wrong there though just what I was told

Share point isn't really a database itself, it's the front end to MS SQL server. So you will have to present your records somehow, as lists or views of lists etc. don't see much problem though from what you said. As above, the share point server will need to be accessible externally but then your groups and permissions should handle the rest

Stuff like Drupal and Joomla might be alternative solutions for you that may be richer and more powerful.

Another thing, our own share point server here doesn't have an external face, we handle external access through Citrix so if security of the server is an issue, that's a potential avenue to explore too.

you probably need a CRM system either to go with or instead of it mate. Never used sharepoint but that functionality is commonplace in a CRM. Sharepoint from what I understand is more typically used or doc sharing inside the firewall on projects and intranets. Could be wrong there though just what I was told

Not been able to get external permissions working on the sharepoint.

Share point isn't really a database itself, it's the front end to MS SQL server. So you will have to present your records somehow, as lists or views of lists etc. don't see much problem though from what you said. As above, the share point server will need to be accessible externally but then your groups and permissions should handle the rest

Stuff like Drupal and Joomla might be alternative solutions for you that may be richer and more powerful.

i dont think i want anything fancier than just sharing records from a database with clients. the company sharepoint server doesnt seem to be an option as it doesnt allow external permissions

i'll have a look into drupal and joomla, thanks

Another thing, our own share point server here doesn't have an external face, we handle external access through Citrix so if security of the server is an issue, that's a potential avenue to explore too.

i think i'd need the IT department for that and wont have my lists for another 6 months, i'm looking for a simple DIY solution

for making custom regulated information available outside of an intranet there are significantly better options than sharepoint

like?

good job your almost certainly infinitely closer to resolving this than you were when you were going to use sharepoint

did sharepoint eat your cake?

Not been able to get external permissions working on the sharepoint.

i dont think i want anything fancier than just sharing records from a database with clients. the company sharepoint server doesnt seem to be an option as it doesnt allow external permissions

i'll have a look into drupal and joomla, thanks

Interesting thread.

Its the sort of thing that scares IT departments silly.

You can use Sharepoint to safely and securely present data over the web, but you do need to sort out your security model first. So are you going with federated services or creating internal accounts for all those that need to access it etc? Then you need to decide what you are sharing and what else is on that server / DB that you don't intend to share.

There is a reason they pay good IT consultants money to come up with solutions :P

To start with don't look at the technology, look at the business requirement and the security and then what is practicle in the environment and for the budget.

Interesting thread.

Its the sort of thing that scares IT departments silly.

You can use Sharepoint to safely and securely present data over the web, but you do need to sort out your security model first. So are you going with federated services or creating internal accounts for all those that need to access it etc? Then you need to decide what you are sharing and what else is on that server / DB that you don't intend to share.

There is a reason they pay good IT consultants money to come up with solutions :P

To start with don't look at the technology, look at the business requirement and the security and then what is practicle in the environment and for the budget.

i just want to be able to share a list with external clients and restrict clients to only view their own records, it's not rocket science.

not really bothered about the technology, as long as it does the above.

sharepoint seems to be out as it only seems to be accessible by our employees and not from outside email addresses

i'm going to look into drupal and joomla tomorrow, first impressions are that they offer a lot more than i need and look a bit complicated

it depends on where the data is that populate these lists, how they are populated and how much automation you want to include. Like if you are talking about producing the lists manually and sharing some type of link with them then I'd think google docs

like your talking about sharing the content of the sharepoint database but I'm not sure that's what you mean. Sharepoint has a configuration database but I suspect you mean a database hosted on sharepoint, you'd still have to extract the lists I'm guessing then upload the lists separately if you are doing this then you can upload them to google docs or something similar

The list is downloaded in csv format from our system every day. We use an access tool to link to the "old" list on sharepoint, add new records from the csv and link the amended data back to sharepoint. Our users add information about records into one of the columns.

In the football example let's say we're the physio and updating clubs about players' injury status. The csv file gives the actual injury status on download date. Players with new injuries are added to the sharepoint. Players no longer injured are removed. My collegues need to add information about the players (eg. 'going to doctor tomorrow').

At the moment we're downloading the information from sharepoint into lists and mailing that to clients, which is a hassle for us and for clients (being able to check online is easier).

I looked into google docs, but i have loads of question marks about usability:

- the sharepoint is "live", the access tool isnt. i dont think google docs can be linked to the sharepoint.

- that probably means we'd have to forget about sharepoint altogether and work straight from google docs

- above isnt a problem if it's possible to easily update google docs with new data from the access tool (is it?)

- i'm not sure if it's possible to give google docs users the ability to only see certain parts of a document (their own clients). if it isn't we'd need to split the document into 20/30 documents for each client. that has the drawback that my colleagues need to work on 20/30 smaller documents rather than 1 big one

Is it possible to use the access tool to automatically fill a google docs document?

I'm not a developer I work with protection for sharepoint but I'm pretty sure you can configure an access front end to export the data to a web address. This would mean the writing of new macros within the database to export the results of different reports to different addresses to each client but I don't see any reason it can't be done.

surf, does your company have an online presence already? Is there an internet facing server in place or are you completely looking to start from scratch on this?

our IT department could set it up but it's going to take ages. they're busy with an internet 2.0 kind of thing (completely redesigning the architecture behind the website and portals), when that's done they'll get round to content.

so basically, i'm starting from scratch and looking for a fast & simple solution

Interesting one this - the company I work for does a lot of projects for clients and we always end up using the client's own file sharing/project structure tool - over the years we've used Lotus Notes, Sharepoint, Project Place, Humyo, Google Docs as well as access to central file locations on a server drive....

Out of all of them I found Sharepoint the best one overall (not with out its many faults but nonetheless struck a decent balance between ease of use and richness of functionality).

Project Place is the one I'm using on a current project and the interface and functions are both awful.

Google Docs is exteremly limiting - avoid if possible.

Humyo is a cheap and cheerful rented cloud type space (I think we paid about £800 for a year for 15 users or something like that) where you can set up your own folder strcutures and access profiles. It isn't great but does the trick OK.

Notes as a project file sharing tool works pretty well (pity it's a terible e-mail app) but needs significant developmenet to get it into the shape you want it to be in..

Problem seems to be that anything along those lines will require his IT teams involvment which is the problem.

Surf seems to be wanting to bypass his IT team to make some lists available to clients, anything other than a really simple solution is over engineering. He needs to extract some data by way of a report and publish it so that different customers get access to their own lists. Google docs seems ideal given that it's not hosted by his company and so wont need IT infrastructure changes to make these lists available to these clients.

Problem seems to be that anything along those lines will require his IT teams involvment which is the problem.

Surf seems to be wanting to bypass his IT team to make some lists available to clients, anything other than a really simple solution is over engineering. He needs to extract some data by way of a report and publish it so that different customers get access to their own lists. Google docs seems ideal given that it's not hosted by his company and so wont need IT infrastructure changes to make these lists available to these clients.

Google docs sounds like it might work. If I could get the access to prepare 20 files and store them on a folder on the network. After that I can sync those files with google docs.

I'm running into some trouble with that though. Google docs is now called google drive and the company firewall seems to block the syncing program.

Any way around that? If there's a solution I'd also need to make those 20 different files available to 20 different people, so it needs good sharing/security.

Any ideas? I don't feel like I'm asking a lot, but getting it set up isn't easy

Surf, you said earlier about your clients updating those these lists, that's what I would see as the main problem, how does the data get back into your company's safe, walled in area (your IT unit has built you a castle but you want to walk through the walls!) Assuming I'm right that you want the data updated after it leaves you, and made available to you, I think you're going to have to either get IT involved or stay out in the "cloud" completely. The IT unit may be able to set up a proxy for you that allows sidestepping the firewall exclusion on google syncing (I doubt they would just turn it off altogether).

Google docs sounds like it might work. If I could get the access to prepare 20 files and store them on a folder on the network. After that I can sync those files with google docs.

I'm running into some trouble with that though. Google docs is now called google drive and the company firewall seems to block the syncing program.

Any way around that? If there's a solution I'd also need to make those 20 different files available to 20 different people, so it needs good sharing/security.

Any ideas? I don't feel like I'm asking a lot, but getting it set up isn't easy

Save each file into its customer specific folder, do the sharing at folder level. (This is in reference to gdocs btw!)