By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Extension cost

cocknose

Anyone know if there is a formula fer square ft for cost of building an extension?

Depends were you live but £1000 per sq m. is a decent measure, £1800 for a double extension. I'm in the middle of doing one, in the South and knowing a host of 'trades' It's about £500 for the 'shell'.

Edited by Murphman

for your nose?

Ha, no, for my house.

Depends were you live but £1000 per sq m. is a decent measure, £1800 for a double extension. I'm in the middle of doing one, in the South and knowing a host of 'trades' It's about £500 for the 'shell'.

I dont think I am far from you, arent you not far from Slough? Im Ruislip way, well im actually in New Zealand but we are thinking of going home for a few years, but the house would need extending if we do with our kids being much bigger now.

£1000 per sqm for the shell?

I need to check on this, because i know roughly what we paid but not the precise size of the rooms. Its been a while since i thought of the meaurements. but I have a feeling we paid less than £500 a metre for ours, 2 storey so with scaffold and all the roofing timbers and tilework, including electrics, windows, internal doors, plumbing, some heavy duty steelwork to hold the upper storey over our big open kitchen. Everything bar the paint and carpets basically.

It was a right bargain. I'd gt loads and loads of quotes from builders and got them to be very detailed about what was included. Then a builder from Salford turned up and beat all the other lower quotes by over 20k. I knew he was genuine, just knew we wouldn't go wrong with him. Showed us local jobs he'd done, didn't try to get brochures out and give me a sales pitch.

To be honest a few of the finishes could be better on the joinery but everything works and its structurally excellent.

he was as good as his word and we are made up with the house. but unfortunately he's now packed in the building and bought himself a cafe. I'd recommend him if I could.

Edited by Tony Le Mesmer

Ha, no, for my house.

I dont think I am far from you, arent you not far from Slough? Im Ruislip way, well im actually in New Zealand but we are thinking of going home for a few years, but the house would need extending if we do with our kids being much bigger now.

£1000 per sqm for the shell?

Goodness me no, I just built a shell, costed at £550 sqm. The builders are mates of mine and a cash job but even so.

Goodness me no, I just built a shell, costed at £550 sqm. The builders are mates of mine and a cash job but even so.

Murph's lax attitude to tax evasion surfacing again.

Can't wait for the next thread about benefit cheats!!

Just asked the guys working on mine and they said around £500-600 for basics, then you have to factor in windows, doors, bi-folds, render, internal finish etc....

That's spot on, £1000 sqm if a builder manages it, if you know a lot of trades and can run the job on the internals it's a lot cheaper.

From New Zealand to Ruislip.

Takes all sorts doesn't it?

Ah, just for 5 years. Both want to career change and easier to study and get some experience in UK, only 4 million people here so opportunities limited,we will come back.

That's spot on, £1000 sqm if a builder manages it, if you know a lot of trades and can run the job on the internals it's a lot cheaper.

Thanks for the advice

• 3 weeks later...

Difficult without seeing the house/knowing the size but a typical dormer loft extension with a wet-room is around £35-40k. We thought about it a few years back but them decided to move instead, we had an old Victorian 3 bed and that was about the rate for what we wanted. Think the company was called A1 Lofts Conversions (not the cheapest but most professional) did 6-7 down my road and they all looked really good, sure they would cover Ruislip.