By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Mentality

Jim D

I could sum up our season in the League just like this.....Chance, chance, chance, chance, woodwork, chance, chance, chance, chance, woodwork, chance, chance, chance, collapse, smash and grab and lose.

We've played some terrific football this season and we've deserved far more than what we've got, however there is something seriously f***ed up about our mentality:

Worst conversion rate in the League, hit the woodwork now 36 times in all competitions, is it bad luck or is it purely down to our inability to score? It's a combination of both I feel, but until we get a couple of players who know where the back of the net is this is going to continue. This inability to score over the course of the season has psychologically damaged the players, week in week out you play well and you get nothing, think what effect it has on the team and the fans, the only relief for both parties has been the cup runs.

It is so frustrating because hand on heart which games this season in the league have we only really deserved to lose?? Games where we played so poorly we didn't deserve anything from it? Bolton away springs to mind. It's soul destroying watching Liverpool at times, play some wonderful football beat the opposition into submission but lacking the killer punch time and time again. Sitting here and I can't believe we lost once again after playing really well, tearing my hair out, whats the solution??

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we'd signed mario Gomez instead of Andy Carroll, or some other striker who works like a proper striker then we'd have had a completely different season.

I love Suarez too but he needs to work on his finishing.

It's a joke the goal return we are getting from those 2.

I've honestly no idea. We create so many chances in a game - but it occurred to me, how many of our chances were as good as Odemwingie's for the goal? How many of our chances were actually a one-on-one, or at least a chance where there aren't 4 or 5 opposition bodies in the box? None. We create loads and loads of scrappy chances with packed boxes or rebounds coming out to players on the edge of the box - and poor finishing does the rest. This could be down to the way we play - we pass it sideways and probe, waiting for a chance - giving the opposition time to get men behind the ball, sitting deep in their box... i.e. we're not quick enough to create the chance. Away from home this isn't as much of a problem, we can break on the counter and have a bit of time and space to put the ball in the back of the net. But at home, against a team that sits deep, we create chances but they're hardly ever *clean* chances, for want of a better word.

Don't get me wrong, we still create enough good chances to easily win these home games, but the type of chance we create resulting from the way we attack may be contributing.

All that and the fact the team have no confidence or ability in front of goal. Probably a bit more to do with that to be honest.

it's a disease though and it just grows. bad luck becomes frustration becomes lack of confidence becomes lack of belief. we look f***ing fragile this season and it has to be addressed. need more leaders.

Agree. The way we reacted after going behind is far more of a worry than missing chances.

I think the mentality comes from overloading our squad with mediocre players and the players having no confidence in themselves in scoring a goal.

I could sum up our season in the League just like this.....Chance, chance, chance, chance, woodwork, chance, chance, chance, chance, woodwork, chance, chance, chance, collapse, smash and grab and lose.

We've played some terrific football this season and we've deserved far more than what we've got, however there is something seriously f***ed up about our mentality:

Worst conversion rate in the League, hit the woodwork now 36 times in all competitions, is it bad luck or is it purely down to our inability to score? It's a combination of both I feel, but until we get a couple of players who know where the back of the net is this is going to continue. This inability to score over the course of the season has psychologically damaged the players, week in week out you play well and you get nothing, think what effect it has on the team and the fans, the only relief for both parties has been the cup runs.

It is so frustrating because hand on heart which games this season in the league have we only really deserved to lose?? Games where we played so poorly we didn't deserve anything from it? Bolton away springs to mind. It's soul destroying watching Liverpool at times, play some wonderful football beat the opposition into submission but lacking the killer punch time and time again. Sitting here and I can't believe we lost once again after playing really well, tearing my hair out, whats the solution??

To hit a small non moving object that many times is ridiculous, Our finishing is truly awful.

Edited by lfc003

Agree. The way we reacted after going behind is far more of a worry than missing chances.

Well its a case in the players mind of "here we go again", in a state of disbelief and shock, why are we losing this game. As Stevie H mentioned its just like a disease but its really hard to put a finger on the cure.

Edited by Jim D

There is a lack of control in our play, bit in front of the opposition goal (hence why we panic) and when defending set pieces

Agree with Clay as well, we should have scored today, but we didn't create as many clear out chances as the stats shows

Well its a case in the players mind again of "here we go again", in a state of disbelief and shock, why are we losing this game. As someone mentioned above its just like a disease but its really hard to put a finger on the cure.

Giving up is never acceptable though.

We've no centre-midfield, the team can't function properly without one. We need Lucas back and someone else who can compliment him or stand in for him when he's out.

I agree with this as well.

We lack really good players, like we did last season.

Sort it out owners.

If we'd signed mario Gomez instead of Andy Carroll

We allegedly nearly signed Gomez on loan when Hodgson came in, funnily enough. He'd been a flop until then and Bayern wanted shut (and, of course, Roy wanted a target man), but then he started knocking them in and Bayern pulled the plug.

We've no centre-midfield, the team can't function properly without one. We need Lucas back and someone else who can compliment him or stand in for him when he's out.

Agree but you can get away with it if you have top class and threatening wide players. Which is why the signings of Downing and Henderson will forever infuriate me seeing as they are neither.

Edited by lfc003

Well what do you think. I don't think it's mentality as much as not having the right forwards in the squad.

Then you're wrong - partly. Mentality is a huge part of it. And what does this formidable striker do with a lack of creativity behind him with Downing and Henderson in wide positions ? Van Persie doesn't score 20 odd goals with that midfield supply.

We've no centre-midfield, the team can't function properly without one.

Functioned well enough today.

But next season - is it a two or a three ? Lucas, Henderson and Gerrard ? Then we require someone far more potent than Downing alongside Suarez and Carroll.

If it's a two then can we afford to buy two creative players with the ability to play wide, and also buy a striker ?

Likely that Maxi and Kuyt are leaving so that's two players to replace. Sterling can replace Maxi in the squad based on appearances but it's too much to expect the goals to follow.

a 4-3-3 suits this squad better and that means i'd sell Downing to fund a goalscoring forward. Can't see Kenny doing that though as the lad has been almost ever present in the team. Even a Chelsea style diamond in the middle suits us better than a static 4-4-2.

We lack genuine pace in attack and don't counter attack quickly enough giving other teams more time to organise their defence. I know we have some fast players like Downing (who has been a massive dissapointment) and Bellamy who can't start too many games.

I agree that we miss Lucas massively also, and not just for his tackling but for the way he dictates play.

We've a £57,000,000 front line.

We need to look past that fact and front load our investment this Summer and buy at least 1 more striker and probably 2. Not just squad players but starting strikers.

As I said, we need to look past the price tag of our current strikers and give them real competition.