Sign in to follow this  
Sir Tokyo Sexwale

Prawns/shrimp

I reckon the seasoning/marinade is going to make a more significant difference and would prefer a well seasoned thing off a gas bbq than I would a less well seasoned meat from a charcoal one. 

I also haven't cooked on a BBQ for many years or eaten off one for at least a couple

I'm not sure why you've reduced the seasoning on the charcoal grilled thing though. Is it because a well seasoned thing on the charcoal grill is top of the list, better than your well seasoned gas grilled thing, the poorly seasoned charcoal grill thing, and presumably the poorly seasoned gas grilled thing?

I've never done a side by side so it's going to be difficult to compare tbh. And I've eaten off more BBQ's than I've ever done, about two lifetime I reckon and thus I'm not the one reducing the seasoning I'm just getting a plate of food.

I just expect that the seasoning the cook has done the meat in is going to have a greater impact on my enjoyment of the food. In fact I'd also argue that what I'm drinking, the atmosphere where I am, the company I'm in etc etc is going to make more difference to the whole experience.

11 minutes ago, Swan Red said:

I've never done a side by side so it's going to be difficult to compare tbh. And I've eaten off more BBQ's than I've ever done, about two lifetime I reckon and thus I'm not the one reducing the seasoning I'm just getting a plate of food.

I just expect that the seasoning the cook has done the meat in is going to have a greater impact on my enjoyment of the food. In fact I'd also argue that what I'm drinking, the atmosphere where I am, the company I'm in etc etc is going to make more difference to the whole experience.

I think you are probably right that a well seasoned piece of meat served with a delicious and heady alcoholic drink, in lovely weather, with sparkling and arousing company is probably better than a cold, unsalted piece of chicken, burnt to a crisp on a charcoal BBQ, in the rain on your own in Dundalk. With no ale. This science experiment has been a great success.

• Haha 1

Like you could control for all boss things in the first example and give me two delicious burgers one cooked on a gas bbq and one cooked on charcoal and I'm not even sure I'd notice a difference.

4 minutes ago, Swan Red said:

Like you could control for all boss things in the first example and give me two delicious burgers one cooked on a gas bbq and one cooked on charcoal and I'm not even sure I'd notice a difference.

One of the best  barbecues I have had , was in England, at a wedding, it was cooked on what looked like the cheapest hotplate ever, but it was tasty. 

3 hours ago, Kvarme Ate My Food said:

It was about Queen not Westlife though so clearly my memory powers are fading.

Yes, and it was me that started it all but I seem to remember that over a pint or two a few weeks later we amicably agreed to differ . Quite funny reading that through though how I lit the blue touch paper and then stood back and let Vic do all the arguing. Sorry, Vic. :D   

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, kop205 said:

Pissing down anyway

Got an awning over my BBQ area, year round charcoal cooked goodness ;)

14 minutes ago, charlie clown said:

Yes, and it was me that started it all but I seem to remember that over a pint or two a few weeks later we amicably agreed to differ . Quite funny reading that through though how I lit the blue touch paper and then stood back and let Vic do all the arguing. Sorry, Vic. :D   

Yeah, sorry, don’t mean to raise it again except to point out Vic’s hypocrisy :) 

As I said to you in the pub, I was dickish with my tone in that thread. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Kvarme Ate My Food said:

Yeah, sorry, don’t mean to raise it again except to point out Vic’s hypocrisy :) 

As I said to you in the pub, I was dickish with my tone in that thread. 

I think we both were (and I hope I said the same). And a definite mea culpa as far as the snobbery is concerned.

Just caught up with this thread.

Here's a mind f*** for you. Use a gas barbecue but put a couple of pieces of charcoal on the flames so you still get that flavour

On 18/06/2020 at 14:15, Gethin said:

Fire risk, right there

What does burning (TanMan) awning add to the flavour of your cooking?

19 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Fire risk, right there

What does burning (TanMan) awning add to the flavour of your cooking?

You joke but that had to be included in our fire risk assessment for the B&B :)

On 18/06/2020 at 14:15, Gethin said:

Im interested in this. Been thinking about getting an awning. What size did you get mate? want to get a quote but cant be arsed with the sales chat

Just now, scoose said:

Im interested in this. Been thinking about getting an awning. What size did you get mate? want to get a quote but cant be arsed with the sales chat

I guess it's about 5m wide and comes out 2.5m - but I'm no help on pricing 'cos it was already here when we bought the house. Gut instinct says you'd pay £1.5-2k for one that size

Once we worked out how to turn it on (bizarrely the main power switch for it was by the bedroom window above the awning, not the kitchen below it 🤷‍♂️) it's been great. Think they key is positioning it high enough that any smoke you generate from the BBQ has got a chance to dispurse

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gethin said:

I guess it's about 5m wide and comes out 2.5m - but I'm no help on pricing 'cos it was already here when we bought the house. Gut instinct says you'd pay £1.5-2k for one that size

Once we worked out how to turn it on (bizarrely the main power switch for it was by the bedroom window above the awning, not the kitchen below it 🤷‍♂️) it's been great. Think they key is positioning it high enough that any smoke you generate from the BBQ has got a chance to dispurse

Think I may get one next year - thanks Gethin

• Like 1