Sign in to follow this  
Sir Tokyo Sexwale

Prawns/shrimp

1 hour ago, charlie clown said:

I made a Lancy hotpot on Sunday. There was plenty left over so I re-heated it last nigh and made some herb dumplings to pad it out. I now can't wait for my next opportunity to make dumplings to go in a stew thing. They were brilliant. And dead easy to make. Can't believe I've never made them before. 

Got a good dumpling recipe/methodology?

15 minutes ago, Tommok said:

Got a good dumpling recipe/methodology?

Well I can't say it's tried and tested as I've only done it the once but they were pretty good:

100g flour

50g shredded beef suet

1sp baking powder

a dessert spoon of chopped fresh herbs

S&P

Mix it all together (dry) in a bowl. Then add cold water a bit at a time, stirring it in, until you 've got a nice sticky dough.

Roll the dough into small-ish balls (about golf-ball size) - i sprinkled a bit more flour on the mix so that it wasn't quite so sticky when I was rolling them into shape - and drop them into the pan/dish/whatever on to the top of the stew, put the lid on and leave to rise and cook through for about twenty minutes. Having the lid on the cooking pan is essential otherwise they don't cook in the steam..

By the way the ingredient weights outlined above were what was in the recipe, I doubled up and it made about 14 dumplings which was plenty for four of us.

Edited by charlie clown

13 minutes ago, charlie clown said:

Well I can't say it's tried and tested as I've only done it the once but they were pretty good:

100g flour

50g shredded beef suet

1sp baking powder

a dessert spoon of chopped fresh herbs

S&P

Mix it all together (dry) in a bowl. Then add cold water a bit at a time, stirring it in, until you 've got a nice sticky dough.

Roll the dough into small-ish balls (about golf-ball size) - i sprinkled a bit more flour on the mix so that it wasn't quite so sticky when I was rolling them into shape - and drop them into the pan/dish/whatever on to the top of the stew, put the lid on and leave to rise and cook through for about twenty minutes. Having the lid on the cooking pan is essential otherwise they don't cook in the steam..

By the way the ingredient weights outlined above were what was in the recipe, I doubled up and it made about 14 dumplings which was plenty for four of us.

Nice one, cheers

Here's one I learnt off an old Italian girlfriend. If you've got dried out bread, crumb it in a food processor, add grated cheese and a little milk to make a dough, roll into balls and drop in soup or stew.

Edited by RedSalmon

14 hours ago, RedSalmon said:

Here's one I learnt off an old Italian girlfriend. If you've got dried out bread, crumb it in a food processor, add grated cheese and a little milk to make a

dough, roll into balls and drop in soup or stew.

How old was she? :badoomtish:

That's a good call though - whenever we have a decent crusty loaf in, if any of it gets left over and goes stale, I always stick it in the whizzer with a chilli and some fresh herbs to make a breadcrumb mix. Bang that in the freezer and I then use it in loads of stuff. Makes a great crispy coating for chicken escalopes and the like. Would work in dumplings too.

On of life's simple pleasure kipper sandwiches for breakfast when there's no one to complain about the smell. 

During the day 'meals' are a thing of the past, I'm basically constantly eating either breakfast items, noodles with variously flavoured tinned mackerel, and chocolate.

Today I had kippers, yesterday breakfast items and the day before some chicken added to a packet of cheap noodles as a soup. I'm back in college.

And booze which I'm going to start swerving a bit

beans blue cheese tonight, may add eggs but idk, egg and beans on toast yes deffo, beans and blue cheese deffo, (another of lifes simple pleasures all non vegans should really) but eggs and beans and blue cheese idk but I'm feeling kinda risky

I've 4 avocados there ready to be eaten and am considering this for tea, which is still technically breakfast food. That or the blue cheese beans and egg on toast which is also breakfast food.

I am so f***ing able for this isolation.

52 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

Avocado on toast with fried egg and chorizo I had before and I’ve just had a nap. 

Swap the fried egg for poached and that used to be my favourite breakfast before the stomach told me I couldn't eat f***ing meat anymore

1 minute ago, Swan Red said:

I've 4 avocados there ready to be eaten and am considering this for tea, which is still technically breakfast food. That or the blue cheese beans and egg on toast which is also breakfast food.

I am so f***ing able for this isolation.

I like avocado with a bit of lime juice and chili in it mashed up

haha, after realising that what we'd planned to eat had gone off last night for mother's day tea we had black pudding and cheese on toast.

I did do a Keralan fish curry for lunch like.

21 minutes ago, scoose said:

Swap the fried egg for poached and that used to be my favourite breakfast before the stomach told me I couldn't eat f***ing meat anymore

I like avocado with a bit of lime juice and chili in it mashed up

Issue with poached here is that you can’t poach an egg in chorizo oil.

went for the avocado toast sans chorizo but with some hot sauce, cooked an insufficient number of eggs initially

I'm gonna make some pakoras for starters and then vegie Madras and sag aloo sides. Washed down with plenty of ale.

I made a starter before. Think it was because we were only having pizza for tea whereas I’d usually be cooking for a good while.

Made a big prawn salad with all sorts of good things in it.

Going to have a go at making a cauliflower cheese. Haven’t done that for many years.

ive just got the Cauli our the fridge.