• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gilps

• smithdown

• pipnasty

• Swan Red

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ugh. Ok so purely on Churchill and the British aspect of the Second World War (I really don't want to go over all of his imperialism, and racism, and pre-war stuff - this is torture enough as it

Gordian Brown.  

You’ll drive yourself mad wondering what the working class want. End up tying yourself in knots like Gordon Brown. Just do what’s right, it’s much easier. Those white, English working class oap’s that

Posted Images

On 27/11/2020 at 21:03, Falconhoof said:

Maybe you don't know enough 'public sector' workers, or haven't thought hard enough about these comparisons. 

For example, compare in detail workers in the NHS with private healthcare. 

However, please share in more detail, using examples, i'm interested to hear more.

Honestly, I don’t wish to go there on the basis of my current employment, and as a matter of fact I think that many in the public sector are due a wage rise, especially the low paid. But beyond that, if they want a higher salary or payment conditions look elsewhere.

I couldn’t work in the public sector for the lack of autonomy and opportunity that it ultimately allows. If you really want to progress within the public sector I have seen very very few examples of really ethics individuals who have combined personal progression with what I would perceive as ethical activity to deliver the service that they’re supposed to. 

The private sector truly is goosed at the moment and it’s going to get worse, in the last decade the Tories did an excellent job of creating an antipathy of those who worked in the public sector as they would given they’re about reducing the role of the state.

There does have to be the right balance, as I said I am not against pay rises for the lowest paid in the public sector I think it’s wrong to not reward the efforts of front line staff over the past few months. As we move forward however there has to be recognition of the mass unemployment from the retail and hospitality sector and surely the focus of the government has to be on finding those people new employment opportunities moving forward.

50 minutes ago, Ant said:

...in the last decade the Tories did an excellent job of creating an antipathy of those who worked in the public sector as they would given they’re about reducing the role of the state.

On 27/11/2020 at 14:57, Ant said:

My experience of the public sector is that there are very few people who recognize that they are actually providing a public service, being paid by the public coin and should behave as such.

I mean you can understand why people may get a bit frustrated with you at times. These two sentences seem to imply you agree with them. Are the Tories right to make people antagonistic toward public sector employees, perhaps for the reasons you state, or are they wrong?

6 minutes ago, Gerry said:

I mean you can understand why people may get a bit frustrated with you at times. These two sentences seem to imply you agree with them. Are the Tories right to make people antagonistic toward public sector employees, perhaps for the reasons you state, or are they wrong?

Of course he agrees with them

Private sector criticising public sector on ethical grounds is beyond parody as well.

Edited by kop205
19 minutes ago, kop205 said:

Of course he agrees with them

Private sector criticising public sector on ethical grounds is beyond parody as well.

This is a typical comment from someone whose “ethical activity” is running low

3 minutes ago, sammy & a said:

This is a typical comment from someone whose “ethical activity” is running low

I've got 'ethical activity' coming out of my ears, obviously. I mean, I'm marking essays right now and giving painstaking and detailed feedback on each one, all while I could be watching the cricket.

But anyway, I'm just taking an aggregated view. I've worked with lazy and unethical people in the public sector; I've worked with diligent and honest people in the private sector. 

At the same time, I recognise that it wasn't the public sector who crashed the world economy because of their greedy and slavish adherence to disaster capitalism and so, you know, he can f*** off.

9 minutes ago, kop205 said:

At the same time, I recognise that it wasn't the public sector who crashed the world economy because of their greedy and slavish adherence to disaster capitalism and so, you know, he can f*** off.

I agree with the thrust of your argument but this seems to be kinda off given that it wasn't private sector workers crashed the world economy either.

1 minute ago, Swan Red said:

I agree with the thrust of your argument but this seems to be kinda off given that it wasn't private sector workers crashed the world economy either.

Pretty sure it emanated from behaviour within the private sector and where there was government culpability it was linked to their obsession with empowering the private sector to chase more and more wealth.

But I also recognise that the private sector is very diverse and it is really only a small a number of people who could be said to be cuplable. Defo not having a go at private sector workers per se.

I just found his blanket dismissal of and utter contempt for the public sector quite astonishing, even by his standards.

Gerry called him out pefectly to be fair and probably nothing needed adding.

Sure but wars emanate from the public sector regardless of the private sectors profiteering from them. Fact is the excesses of both reflect class interests and I think the public v private distinction often moot. 

I agree with regard to the contempt shown to the public sector though.

Just now, Swan Red said:

Sure but wars emanate from the public sector regardless of the private sectors profiteering from them. Fact is the excesses of both reflect class interests and I think the public v private distinction often moot. 

I think that is probably fair, yeah.

1 minute ago, Jarg Armani said:

That's why people elect them though. They'd rather a return to the troubles than give NI an inch. Some people like that sort of thing.

They were colluding with terrorists to kill innocent people. You'd think there'd be enough people who couldn't just ignore that. The evidence is there.