'The economy is safe with the Tories'

8 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

I’m condemning the whole stupid focus on Russia tbh. It was just interesting to me that nobody here mentioned it yesterday when half the forum seemed to think it was such a factor in Brexit, Trump and so on.

Whats in it?

• Replies 27.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gilps

• smithdown

• Swan Red

• pipnasty

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ugh. Ok so purely on Churchill and the British aspect of the Second World War (I really don't want to go over all of his imperialism, and racism, and pre-war stuff - this is torture enough as it

Centrists think the reason that centrism is failing is that people are no longer nice enough to try to find common ground with each other. They don’t seem to recognise that people are rejected centris

Woman calls out security forces trading tactics used to kill black and brown people. Labour left wing MP sacked for anti semitism.   It is a tap turned on when needed by those who want to suppr

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

Whats in it?

They decided it wasn't important enough to investigate very thoroughly, or something like that. A few bots on Twitter never seemed that important to me to be fair. I come here sometimes to find out what people think of things that have happened.

2 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

They decided it wasn't important enough to investigate very thoroughly, or something like that. A few bots on Twitter never seemed that important to me to be fair. I come here sometimes to find out what people think of things that have happened.

I thought there may have been more interest from the FBPE crowd

1 hour ago, Bailo said:

I see Labour *are* hot on the big issue topic of today - nitrous oxide use.

On that point, have you seen Rosie Duffield vs Ash Sarkar today on Twitter?  It's quite something.

2 minutes ago, Redwire said:

On that point, have you seen Rosie Duffield vs Ash Sarkar today on Twitter?  It's quite something.

Duffield has really thrown her toys out of the pram hasn't she?! 

5 minutes ago, Tommok said:

Duffield has really thrown her toys out of the pram hasn't she?! 

My favourite bit was "I've defended you against vile racist abuse in the past but I don't think I'll bother in the future now that you've gently ribbed my populist nonsense".

3 minutes ago, Redwire said:

My favourite bit was "I've defended you against vile racist abuse in the past but I don't think I'll bother in the future now that you've gently ribbed my populist nonsense".

You'd think Duffield would be keeping her head down a bit at the moment 

1 hour ago, Jarg Armani said:

I’m condemning the whole stupid focus on Russia tbh. It was just interesting to me that nobody here mentioned it yesterday when half the forum seemed to think it was such a factor in Brexit, Trump and so on.

They’re all done though - Tories have a massive majority. Johnson could get his knob out, wack it off the despatch box shouting ‘Look at my hammer and sickle. I love Putin’ and f*** all would happen.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Cobs said:

They’re all done though - Tories have a massive majority. Johnson could get his knob out, wack it off the despatch box shouting ‘Look at my hammer and sickle. I love Putin’ and f*** all would happen.

"could the right honourable member please put away his dishonourable member immediately" 

4 hours ago, Cobs said:

Thought this a good summary of the last week of the Tories catastrophucking rule

My dad was taken into hospital on March 23rd before dying April 7th. He's just a stat to these people but to me and his family his suffering is almost a direct result of their laziness and pathological worship of their ideology. I didn't have to be without my Dad right now. He didn't have to be without his life.

2 hours ago, pipnasty said:

Presuming that the f***ing Opposition are still keeping to their vow of silence?

I hate Keir Starmer. He's a functional coward.

• Love 3

Me loving that post may look weird but I hope you get the sentiment.

I'm kinda all over the place on this, yes I think Labour should weaponise it because it may be politically beneficial to do it, but I think the role of Russia is overstated. I take Cobs point that it won't matter because the Tories have a 80 seat majority but while I'm not committed to this being politically necessary because there are other factors more important than this latest edition of the Russia scare I want to see Labour fighting the Tories as much as possible.

2 hours ago, Gilps said:

Labour has been granted an Urgent Question on the Russia Report today btw, right after PMQs. I realise it would be terribly old fashioned to wait to see the approach taken before condemning them though.

I feel like that might be for a different forum. I don't think Labour's reaction to the russia report and being keen to slag them off is taking up headspace.

1 minute ago, Swan Red said:

I'm kinda all over the place on this, yes I think Labour should weaponise it because it may be politically beneficial to do it, but I think the role of Russia is overstated. I take Cobs point that it won't matter because the Tories have a 80 seat majority but while I'm not committed to this being politically necessary because there are other factors more important than this latest edition of the Russia scare I want to see Labour fighting the Tories as much as possible.

I agree that it’s worth picking at an area of weakness for the government, even if in the grand scheme of things the issue is overblown. Especially if it is an issue that is a perceived area of strength for the Tories relative to Labour, as national security probably is traditionally.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Swan Red said:

Labour should be repeating the line that this government are lazy and incompetent at every opportunity as it a common thread that runs through everything that they do. Russia potentially falls into that category.

See - New Labour and sleaze

• Like 1
1 minute ago, pipnasty said:

Labour should be repeating the line that this government are lazy and incompetent at every opportunity as it a common thread that runs through everything that they do. Russia potentially falls into that category.

See - New Labour and sleaze

That’s assuming the people of Stoke and Sunderland find incompetence and laziness unattractive 

33 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

I've just resigned from the Labour Party, they no longer represent my views, where do I go next?

I've just gotten more involved with non-party political organisations - soup kitchens etc. Clearly most within these are left-leaning but there's none of the hassle with hanging a big Labour sign over it and I already feel like I've helped more than 100 CLP meetings.

15 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

very much a caring, leftish-wing agenda like Corbyn, I guess!

Hmmm.

Are you willing to travel overseas? ;)

1 minute ago, Bailo said:

I've just gotten more involved with non-party political organisations - soup kitchens etc. Clearly most within these are left-leaning but there's none of the hassle with hanging a big Labour sign over it and I already feel like I've helped more than 100 CLP meetings.

Great work, Bailo - that's a really cool idea

• Haha 1

It’s kicking off now 

A nifty reminder of his background there, and here:

“Within the first few months of his tenure, Starmer upheld the decision not to prosecute the officers who had killed Jean-Charles de Menezes in a High Court appeal lodged by the family. de Menezes was shot dead by police in 2005 after he was mistaken for a suicide bomber. The reviewing lawyer said that no new evidence had been presented to the inquest which would make him reconsider the earlier decision not to prosecute more senior officers for negligence. Mr de Menezes’s cousin, Vivian Figuierdo, said "we are all in shock and simply cannot understand how the deliberate killing of an innocent man and an attempt by the Metropolitan police to cover it up does not result in a criminal offence."[23] The family then gave up on pursuing charges and nobody has been charged with the death of Mr de Menezes.”

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, smithdown said:

It’s kicking off now 

A nifty reminder of his background there, and here:

“Within the first few months of his tenure, Starmer upheld the decision not to prosecute the officers who had killed Jean-Charles de Menezes in a High Court appeal lodged by the family. de Menezes was shot dead by police in 2005 after he was mistaken for a suicide bomber. The reviewing lawyer said that no new evidence had been presented to the inquest which would make him reconsider the earlier decision not to prosecute more senior officers for negligence. Mr de Menezes’s cousin, Vivian Figuierdo, said "we are all in shock and simply cannot understand how the deliberate killing of an innocent man and an attempt by the Metropolitan police to cover it up does not result in a criminal offence."[23] The family then gave up on pursuing charges and nobody has been charged with the death of Mr de Menezes.”

15 years ago today that happened. 

The gold commander for the operation was Cressida Dick who received no reprimand and is now head of the Met Police. 

Contrary to the witness accounts and initial police reports Menezes did not :- 

- run down the escalator 

- push and hurl abuse at passengers 

- run through the ticket barrier

- jump the ticket barrier 

- wear a tool belt which looked like a suicide bomb 

He did

- according to one of the armed police officers have "Mongolian eyes" - apparently that's a thing but I'm not sure what sort of thing it is, and is probably not a reason to be gunned down (and he was actually Brazilian) 

- get shot in the head twice with hollow point bullets. 

f***ing disgrace that whole business.