Sign in to follow this  
Leo No.8

Swollen Gland

59 minutes ago, DazzlaJ said:

At home now, they pulled a golf ball sized tumour out from the cross section of my carotid artery. Thats it all done and dusted.

The surgery was perfect. The tumour wasn't too attached and I was under for 2.5 hours. It could have been 10 if it had grown around the artery. The surgery was also very dangerous.

I had the top 4 surgeons at Basildon hospital there, so I was in good hands. The reason they were all there is because the tumour is so rare. Dr Jeddy who has been there 25 years had only seen 4 before.

Great news, glad it went so well

I did ask for a pic but no joy. He said it was a little bigger than this.

This shows the carotid artery junction/split and the tumor sits in between it, the circle bit.

Figures-2a-and-2b-Intraoperative-view-of

Edited by DazzlaJ

3 minutes ago, DazzlaJ said:

I did ask for a pic but no joy. He said it was a little bigger than this.

This shows the carotid artery junction/split and the tumor sits in between it, the circle bit.

Figures-2a-and-2b-Intraoperative-view-of

Christ

7 hours ago, Molby said:

How do you know when you’ve got one of them ?

what were the symptoms? 

Molby I had no symptons at all. I was reading an article on the bbc about throat cancer.

The guy said he felt a disc shaped lump at the back of his throat. I pushed back either side of my wind pipe and felt the same thing, never even noticed it before.

But once I knew it was there you could feel it next to the windpipe and sort of behind the ear and jaw bone.

Had to wait the usual 2-3 months to find out if it was cancer or not. Thankfully it was benign.

These "carotid body tumours", as they are known, generally aren't cancerous but can turn malignant if left. It had definitely got bigger in the 6 months since I had found it, but I have no clue how long it was there before.

I am glad I took the option of surgery now, because I had the option of "lets wait and see", which was very tempting.

The surgery option is dangerous and can cause issues with the tongue, face and voice box.

I am slurry my speech atm. The doctor said the nerve that attaches to the right side of my tongue was wrapped around top of the tumour. He said they unwrapped it with no damage, it was fine and would just be ruffled and I should be fine in a week or so. He also said that were there will be excess blood around the wound this will irritate the nerves also.

There also a 5-10% chance f it returning.

That must have been awful, read some poxy article, do a cursory check and find the same thing

on the other hand it’s a good thing you happened across the article.....and took decisive action 

40 minutes ago, Molby said:

That must have been awful, read some poxy article, do a cursory check and find the same thing

on the other hand it’s a good thing you happened across the article.....and took decisive action 

Yeah wasn't nice for a couple of months. Still all has ended well, touch wood.

Molby asked about symptoms and I said I had none. The thing about these are they are generally slow growing, I have no idea how long it had been there, and you learn to live with stuff/symptoms as they occur.

My sleep apnea has gone. My sleep routine is on another stratosphere.

I sometimes got palpitations stretching back to 2006 which is when I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. I put this down to the high blood pressure. I haven't had any since.

Also no heartburn or acid reflux. Although I am still in recovery I feel like a different person compared to before.

Another thing, before the op, I would get on a sofa and last 10 minutes tops before being asleep. Now I am fine. Whether that is due to getting better sleep I don't know.

Dazz love ya and hope you're good glad to hear you doing so much better but I am f*** clicking any links fella

11 hours ago, DazzlaJ said:

Although I am still in recovery I feel like a different person compared to before.

Is that because the Dr. inadvertently performed a face-off style face transplant operation, and you are now in fact Nicholas Cage? 

1 hour ago, cymrococh said:

Is that because the Dr. inadvertently performed a face-off style face transplant operation, and you are now in fact Nicholas Cage? 

Nicolas