By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Swollen Gland

Leo No.8

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Had a really tough time mentally last couple of months.

Had a lump at the back of the jaw which needed investigation and when they scanned they found another thing of concern on my thyroid.

Anyhow the obvious thoughts that go through your head did, it's amazing how many times you hear the word when you are worried about it, and by coincidence this thread popped up in the genny after being in the void for a few years, so I was convinced I had the big C.

The thyroid has come back as nothing to worry about and the lump on the jaw is a benign tumour. It is known as a carotid body tumour. It sits in between the split of the carotid artery.

So now I have to decide whether to have surgery or not, as being where it sits it needs a full vascular surgery to remove it. Meeting the surgeon next week to decide the outcome. Another option is to have quarterly scans to see if it is growing.

Funny thing is I was reading a bbc article about throat cancer where they described a lump at the back of the throat. If I didn't read it and feel my throat I probably wouldn't have even had noticed it. I have no idea how long the lump has been there.