Sign in to follow this  
badtodabone

what book are you reading at the moment

My book reading is primarily escapism so I want something easy and engaging. It's mostly Scandi noir and the odd bit of fantasy or American gothic.

I rarely persevere with anything vaguely difficult these days. I've been trying to read Jeff Vandermeer as I really like the sound of his stuff but I just can't stick with it.

Same, thought Cryptonomicon his best but the Baroque trilogy, while great sounding in the abstract, way too long winded and indulgent. Anathem was the first one of his I just gave up on, was quite noticebly boring.

I've really liked pretty much everything he's written but I think the Baroque Trilogy is by far his best.

I think it could have been good if it had been edited. It's the bane of modern reading really, in the new Amazon inspired world of not bothering to pay writers or publishers much money (bar the odd piece of bilge work that can permeate across the entire lower denominators of culture), nothing gets edited anymore. Read quite a few books in the last ten years that would have been a lot better with a strong editor who might ask, is there a point/purpose to this chapter/passage, etc. There's also a conversation about weight, people will (in the mindset of a publishing company) value the weight of a book, or more specifically the amount of pages they get for their tenner. So it's becoming a lot rarer to get a controlled, tight, focused, maturely written read unfortunately.

I think it could have been good if it had been edited. It's the bane of modern reading really, in the new Amazon inspired world of not bothering to pay writers or publishers much money (bar the odd piece of bilge work that can permeate across the entire lower denominators of culture), nothing gets edited anymore. Read quite a few books in the last ten years that would have been a lot better with a strong editor who might ask, is there a point/purpose to this chapter/passage, etc. There's also a conversation about weight, people will (in the mindset of a publishing company) value the weight of a book, or more specifically the amount of pages they get for their tenner. So it's becoming a lot rarer to get a controlled, tight, focused, maturely written read unfortunately.

I agree on the lack of decent editing in modern publishing but I really don’t think this applies to the Baroque Trilogy.  I loved its scope and scale.  I was left wanting more not less.  Seveneves on the other hand…

I've only read one of Mieville's books - The City & The City. It's a magnificent imaginative piece and very readable but overall I was just left a bit meh by it all. I keep trying with the various sub-genres of the fantasy fiction world but nothing I've read has made me want to read anything else by the same author and I've sacked a few of them before I've finished them. In that sense I'd put Mievelle at the top of the list as I managed to get through that without it being too painful..

Anyone read any Ursula Le Guin? I'd always had her down in the same bucket as the other fantasy writers but I saw Joanna Newsom recently and she was saying in her inter-song chit-chat that she was an influence on some of her song-writing which I thought was something I might want to explore a bit...

I'm beginning to think generally though that life is too short and I should stop trying to get into authors and books that I have about an 85% chance of not being that fussed about. My book buying recently has definitely been a lot more focused.

Ursula Le Guin wrote very good, but what is probably now called very traditional fantasy fiction. I enjoyed her Earthsea books as a teen, but haven't read them since then. 

Ursula Le Guin wrote very good.....

Yes I know how the rest of the sentence was intended to read, but this made me laugh on first pass.

Has anyone read Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice trilogy?

Yes. Generally very good, character drive as opposed to lasers going pew pew, very well realised world, the second is slower and more meandering but I still enjoyed it a lot, the third though is significantly poorer from a style perspective, very tell rather than show and quite assinely repetitive in places. I haven't actually finished the narrative just yet, probably will by tomorrow, but think the first two were definitely worth it, irrespective of how this third wraps up.

Ursula Le Guin wrote very good, but what is probably now called very traditional fantasy fiction. I enjoyed her Earthsea books as a teen, but haven't read them since then.

She wrote some of the most influential science fiction in the canon too, "Left hand of darkness" in particular is still an influential work and on most people's top 100 science fiction lists. Coincidentally, the book above for example, that Ann Leckie Justice trilogy, would be one such that demonstrates those influences. Edited by Kite

Has anyone read Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice trilogy?

I've read the first one. Moving onto the sequels soon. I enjoyed it. They obviously pay a huge debt to Iain M. Banks' 'Culture' books but then, frankly, which sci-fi today doesn't?

Ocean at the end of the lane.

Not read Gaiman before. Good so far.

Loved it. I'm aware in advance that this sounds crap, but it was a beautifully written fable for all ages, including adults.

Just finished Umberto Eco's the mysterious flame of queen loana .What a waste of time, I just didn't appreciate it. It turns into a huge ramble which just went on and on.

On track for my 2016 mission; the Robert A Caro canon. After the first 2 of his (4 book) LBJ trilogy (gobsmackingly good) I've taken a break to tackle his Magnum Opus, The Power Broker, about Robert Moses. A few days away this week have got me exactly half way through its 1200 pages, every bit as good as the hype it gets, not least on herr. Worrying now how to keep up the momentum with distractions like work and s***, but still hopeful to complete all 5 in the calendar year.

On track for my 2016 mission; the Robert A Caro canon. After the first 2 of his (4 book) LBJ trilogy (gobsmackingly good) I've taken a break to tackle his Magnum Opus, The Power Broker, about Robert Moses. A few days away this week have got me exactly half way through its 1200 pages, every bit as good as the hype it gets, not least on herr. Worrying now how to keep up the momentum with distractions like work and s***, but still hopeful to complete all 5 in the calendar year.

The Power Broker is absolutely awesome. About as good as it gets for a biography.

Ocean at the end of the lane.

Not read Gaiman before. Good so far.

it's quite a 'nice' gaiman book that one. suggest you give american gods and anansi boys a try. and if you haven't read good omens yet that he wrote with terry pratchett, sort it out.

it's quite a 'nice' gaiman book that one. suggest you give american gods and anansi boys a try. and if you haven't read good omens yet that he wrote with terry pratchett, sort it out.

Have you seen the cast that's coming together for the American Gods TV show?

Have you seen the cast that's coming together for the American Gods TV show?

yeah, it looks like they're getting some of the casting spot on. hope the production and budget are up to snuff though because it's a hell of a f***ing difficult book to film and get right. 

Just finished Umberto Eco's the mysterious flame of queen loana .What a waste of time, I just didn't appreciate it. It turns into a huge ramble which just went on and on.

I find a lot of his books like that - they bumble along full of the promise of great ideas etc.but rarely deliver as actual novels. I've read three or four of his but only really enjoyed one of them.

I find a lot of his books like that - they bumble along full of the promise of great ideas etc.but rarely deliver as actual novels. I've read three or four of his but only really enjoyed one of them.

In the name of the rose?

Agree sometimes he needs to remember there's a plot.

There are folks who love that s*** and will tell you "that you just don't get it". They're right,I didn't and that's abysmal after reading 300 of pages ffs. It reminded me of those guitar dicks from the 80's who had instrumental albums of widdly didly music, all trying to prove how good they where, yet didn't have a decent song between them.

I followed up Ocean with American Gods as it happens. Great early atmosphere.