Sign in to follow this  
badtodabone

what book are you reading at the moment

Predominantly playwrites, hence my confusion. Start with Osborne, go to Bond, job done is my advice. If you've read Pinter, that is.

Ah, right, yeah. Haven't read Pinter since I were a younger lad, so will probably go back to him at some point. To be fair, I mainly stumbled on to that through Stilltoe who was one of the writers Peace was on about. Thanks for the advice, really liked that Jacobsen stuff I spoke to you about months ago, btw.

Ah, right, yeah. Haven't read Pinter since I were a younger lad, so will probably go back to him at some point. To be fair, I mainly stumbled on to that through Stilltoe who was one of the writers Peace was on about. Thanks for the advice, really liked that Jacobsen stuff I spoke to you about months ago, btw.

Bar the main two I haven't read any Stiltoe. Probably should address that. Jacobson magnificent. Act Of Love remains the best thing I've read in years.

Lots more where that came from :) Love Carl H.

Just bought Omnibus which is Tourist Season, Double Whammy, Skin Tight in one volume. Got it off Amazon second hand for buttons. There is an Omnibus 2 as well I think.

I really like his style and the sense of humour in the writing. I'm a huge Brookmrye fan but I've nearly exhausted his early stuff and his later stuff isn't of the same standard so I need a replacement and this fella may well be it.

That's a cracking read.

I'm on James Ellroys latest Bloods A Rover,,,for the first time I'm starting to experience diminishing returns with his stuff

Have to agree about Bloods a Rover - have lost patience with it and am reading Jo Nesbo's "The Redbreast".

Good book, well translated

Looking forward to catching up on RJ Ellory and Harlen Coben for my hols in a few weeks

Have to agree about Bloods a Rover - have lost patience with it and am reading Jo Nesbo's "The Redbreast".

I actually felt Blood's A Rover was a real return to form, having had my Ellroy-fatigue earlier in the Underworld trilogy and it's miasma of Kennedy-Hoover-Hughes-Cuba-Mob-CIA-Mercenary Conspiracies. Read it in a weekend, and was suitably exhausted and exhilarated, and feeling not a little grubby, by the end. Maybe being more LA-centric put it closer to his traditional ouevre..

Have to agree about Bloods a Rover - have lost patience with it

I actually felt Blood's A Rover was a real return to form, having had my Ellroy-fatigue earlier in the Underworld trilogy and it's miasma of Kennedy-Hoover-Hughes-Cuba-Mob-CIA-Mercenary Conspiracies. Read it in a weekend, and was suitably exhausted and exhilarated, and feeling not a little grubby, by the end. Maybe being more LA-centric put it closer to his traditional ouevre..

Finally finished it, took a few months, on and off between others - maybe that was the problem. He's still incredibly original. I actually think his high point was My Dark Places, having read everything up to then, this was an anatomy of why he writes how he does, it was devastating.

Now reading Skippy Dies by Paul Murray, early days but decent so far.

Paul Auster - Leviathan. My first Auster book and thought it was very good. I've now ordered New York Trilogy.

am reading Jo Nesbo's "The Redbreast".

Good book, well translated

I've done a d/l of a couple of her(?) books on to my e-reader for my hols in a few weeks' time. Sounds like a good choice.

I've done a d/l of a couple of her(?) books on to my e-reader for my hols in a few weeks' time. Sounds like a good choice.

His

Just started Gilead by Marilynne Robinson.

Half way through Lean on Pete, Willy Vlautin

Dipping in and out of All of these people, Fergal Keane and

The Blitz, by Juliet Gardiner

They're proper brilliant. On 'The Leopard' now and it is truly gripping.

They're proper brilliant. On 'The Leopard' now and it is truly gripping.

Have I massively cocked up by going into The Snowman first? AFAIK, it's not the first in the Harry Hole series.

Have I massively cocked up by going into The Snowman first? AFAIK, it's not the first in the Harry Hole series.

Yes you have, you massive c*ckwit.

Just started Bloods a Rover. Hope it is as good as the first two.

Will then crack on with Cormac McCarthys Border Trilogy

My postie is gonna hate me as I have ordered the five George RR Martin books and they are being delivered in one go.

Completely by accident the wife bought me the first in the series 'The Redbreast' as a surprise - have just started on Nemises (the second book). Doubt it makes much of a difference where in the series you start tbh

Just started Bloods a Rover. Hope it is as good as the first two.

Will then crack on with Cormac McCarthys Border Trilogy

My postie is gonna hate me as I have ordered the five George RR Martin books and they are being delivered in one go.

Cormack knows what time it is and the Border trilogy is brilliant, but not exactly light reading

how about The Road? also brilliant, but shorter, and again, far from light reading

Cormack knows what time it is and the Border trilogy is brilliant, but not exactly light reading

how about The Road? also brilliant, but shorter, and again, far from light reading

Have read The Road. Excellent book, but very bleak