Sign in to follow this  
badtodabone

what book are you reading at the moment

Anyone recommend the best Cold War / KGB / Russian spy novels you've read? I've just finished Charm School by Nelson DeMille and really enjoyed it. After having read and enjoyed Child 44 based in the same era I think I'll flog this to death.

Thanks

Anyone recommend the best Cold War / KGB / Russian spy novels you've read?

Tinker Soldier Sailor Spy by John Le Carre, optionally followed by The Honourable Schoolboy and then non-optionally followed by Smiley's People - a trilogy

after reading them, checkout the BBC dramatizations - some of the best TV ever made

Tinker Soldier Sailor Spy by John Le Carre, optionally followed by The Honourable Schoolboy and then non-optionally followed by Smiley's People - a trilogy

after reading them, checkout the BBC dramatizations - some of the best TV ever made

Agree with htose. Have just finished The Trinity Six by Charles Cumming - a good read along the Le Carre lines, set in the current times based on The Cambridge Spy Ring.

They're being serialised on Radio 4 as well at the mo - starting from the start

Someone in work just gave me the same answer. Thanks John. Trip to the second hand bookshop at lunchtime beckons.

They're quite cheap on Amazon too

Agree with htose. Have just finished The Trinity Six by Charles Cumming - a good read along the Le Carre lines, set in the current times based on The Cambridge Spy Ring.

thanks!

Just got the kindle version of that

They're being serialised on Radio 4 as well at the mo - starting from the start

just got the first part of that - although it's from 2009 apparently - or is there an even more recent version?

just got the first part of that - although it's from 2009 apparently - or is there an even more recent version?

Some may well be repeats, but I'm pretty sure some haven't been done before. They've got a few on CD on Amazon as well

Interesting. What's you opinion on where his arguments are stupid? I'm reading Christopher Hitchens 'God is not great' and despite it being in the same vein as 'The God delusion', Hitchens makes some disparaging remarks against Dawkins' book. And I read a comment made by Salman Rushdie who said the book 'God is not great' contained one too many words.

Hitchens is a great author. I enjoyed God is not great, but for a wider perspective the Portable Athiest has excerpts from many writers on the subject.

Small is Beautiful. A Study of Econimics As If People Mattered by EF Schumacher.

A bit boring, bit think he's basically on the money.

Started reading The Slap last night, after reading nothing but rave reviews and it being long-listed for the Booker.

One chapter in, and it seems to be about a bunch of people you can't like doing things you don't give a s*** about. And I'm hoping the racist references are going to end soon. It may be 'in context', it may be what the people in that part of australia say and think, but it just comes across as the author's a t***

Started reading The Slap last night, after reading nothing but rave reviews and it being long-listed for the Booker.

One chapter in, and it seems to be about a bunch of people you can't like doing things you don't give a s*** about. And I'm hoping the racist references are going to end soon. It may be 'in context', it may be what the people in that part of australia say and think, but it just comes across as the author's a t***

The author's telling the story from about 8 different perspectives, get a grip, lid!

Tourist Season - Carl Hiiasen

Really enjoying it

That's a cracking read.

I'm on James Ellroys latest Bloods A Rover,,,for the first time I'm starting to experience diminishing returns with his stuff

The author's telling the story from about 8 different perspectives, get a grip, lid!

OK, I only hate the first guy so far then

Currently reading "We, The Drowned' by Carsten Jensen and thoroughly enjoying it so far.

Trying to find out where the best place to start is with the "angry young men" writers, even if that is a terrible name for a literary movement. Never really embraced British literature that much before and want to make an effort to do so.

Currently reading "We, The Drowned' by Carsten Jensen and thoroughly enjoying it so far.

Trying to find out where the best place to start is with the "angry young men" writers, even if that is a terrible name for a literary movement. Never really embraced British literature that much before and want to make an effort to do so.

Who are the angry young men?