Sign in to follow this  
badtodabone

what book are you reading at the moment

The God Delusion

Good book. Dawkins is a very accomplished writer. Some of the arguments in it are pretty stupid, but i suppose he's fighting fire with fire.

---

On the go at the moment:

The Illiad - Homer (Lattimore edition) - have been trying to read it for months but it's heavy going, kinda like reading an 500 page poem.

Just starting:

An Epic Swindle - Reade

Hopes & Prospects - Noam Chomsky

Catch-22 - Joseph Heller

Just finished:

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

f***ing hell, difficult to know where to begin with Paul Auster. I've just ordered Leviathan. So there, I guess.

Scorsese on Scorsese, excellent and insightful set of interviews, part of the Faber Film collection, picked up for 10p at Car Bootle - bargain.

On the Kindle -

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln - Doris Goodwin

Life: an Unauthorized Biography - Richard Fortey

Good book. Dawkins is a very accomplished writer. Some of the arguments in it are pretty stupid, but i suppose he's fighting fire with fire.

Interesting. What's you opinion on where his arguments are stupid? I'm reading Christopher Hitchens 'God is not great' and despite it being in the same vein as 'The God delusion', Hitchens makes some disparaging remarks against Dawkins' book. And I read a comment made by Salman Rushdie who said the book 'God is not great' contained one too many words.

Shankhill Butchers was a bit disappointing for me.

It scared the pants off me. He lived a few doors from me and buried his bodies near my house. I also saw him shot I may even be one of the kids in the picture beside the big rover car. Scary scary business

Shankhill Butchers was a bit disappointing for me.

Seriously?

It scared the pants off me. He lived a few doors from me and buried his bodies near my house. I also saw him shot I may even be one of the kids in the picture beside the big rover car. Scary scary business

I love hearing stuff like this. I work with a lady who tells me her husband grew up in the height of the troubles, and lived right in the middle of it. He says the only thing which stopped him from being inducted was his dad as he wouldn't let him. His grandparents were staunch republicans and he even once shared a bed with an excapee from the Maze prison as his nan put him up for a few nights. Not a patch on your story of seeing Lenny shot but interesting nonetheless.

I'm a Bangor boy. The closest I got was playing pool for the Buffer Inn in Bangor

Interesting. What's you opinion on where his arguments are stupid? I'm reading Christopher Hitchens 'God is not great' and despite it being in the same vein as 'The God delusion', Hitchens makes some disparaging remarks against Dawkins' book. And I read a comment made by Salman Rushdie who said the book 'God is not great' contained one too many words.

It's been a while since i read it so i can't remember all the arguments he gave. The one that stood out in my mind was the argument of probability. That whatever has happened is a matter of probability, but if you put God into the equation it becomes even more improbable. Of course, this is mathmatically correct but i just didn't see it as a valid argument. I think there was something about a perfectly designed entity needing a creater itself too (ie the question you ask your RE teacher when you are in Primary School 'Who created God?'... the answer i got btw was 'Erm... go read the Bible it's all in there'). I thought the whole section on 'why there is almost certainly no God' was just put in there to put across his personal opinion and to stir up some controversy and publicity for the book, without really offering much to make you really think.

I enjoyed the latter part of the book about morality and the parts about evolution more than him trying to disprove God. I'm not religious, i just didn't think many of his arguments on the actual existence of a God were very strong or new. Of course, the arguments FOR God given in the book were probably even weaker and definately older. I found the argument of why we shouldn't dedicate our lives to a God more compelling as opposed to whether there actually is one. The (im)morality and history of religions and the bigotry and discrimination of them was much better reading in my opinion and less based on conjecture.

While i liked the simplicity and clarity in his writing style I didn't like the condescending tone the book gave off at times, and the manner of preaching it sometimes had. It almost read like it was trying to convert you to some new religion, and anyone who changes their belief system based on one book is an idiot in my opinion (and yes that includes 'holy' books... people need to have a broader understanding so they can make their minds up on an individual level, rather than just believing what they're told imo).

I think I'd like YOUR book better. Write it!!! :thumbs:

Bizarre but I also shared a house with a relative of one of his victims whilst at uni.

I also remember getting told off in school the next day for not knowing the difference in fact and fiction . We had to write a short story on what we had done the night before and mine involved helicopters, crazy men and machine guns. The teacher explained that it was meant to be real. I explained that I didn't live in posh south Belfast where the school was and it was real. She didn't believe me till I brought the newspaper in haha

Just started reading this on the Kindle/iPad:

cat.gif

I'll soon know why Benitez had to go and why young local players with no experience or ability should always take precedence over foreign internationals

The Autobiography of Malcolm X

Collected Works of Edgar Allen Poe

this that new one that was published last month? worth a go? seemed a bit steep at 25 quid thought i'd wait for the paperback.

It's an old paperback but I'm not sure there'd be much difference would there?

What's in this new one that wouldn't be in mine, iykwim?

Life: an Unauthorized Biography - Richard Fortey

That's my current 'on the bog' book at home for the 1st floor lav. I should finish it around 2034.

It's been a while since i read it so i can't remember all the arguments he gave. The one that stood out in my mind was the argument of probability. That whatever has happened is a matter of probability, but if you put God into the equation it becomes even more improbable. Of course, this is mathmatically correct but i just didn't see it as a valid argument. I think there was something about a perfectly designed entity needing a creater itself too (ie the question you ask your RE teacher when you are in Primary School 'Who created God?'... the answer i got btw was 'Erm... go read the Bible it's all in there'). I thought the whole section on 'why there is almost certainly no God' was just put in there to put across his personal opinion and to stir up some controversy and publicity for the book, without really offering much to make you really think.

I enjoyed the latter part of the book about morality and the parts about evolution more than him trying to disprove God. I'm not religious, i just didn't think many of his arguments on the actual existence of a God were very strong or new. Of course, the arguments FOR God given in the book were probably even weaker and definately older. I found the argument of why we shouldn't dedicate our lives to a God more compelling as opposed to whether there actually is one. The (im)morality and history of religions and the bigotry and discrimination of them was much better reading in my opinion and less based on conjecture.

While i liked the simplicity and clarity in his writing style I didn't like the condescending tone the book gave off at times, and the manner of preaching it sometimes had. It almost read like it was trying to convert you to some new religion, and anyone who changes their belief system based on one book is an idiot in my opinion (and yes that includes 'holy' books... people need to have a broader understanding so they can make their minds up on an individual level, rather than just believing what they're told imo).

It's interesting the way so may peopel that you would expect to be fully in support of Dawkins have really distanced themselves from hiom because of that book and his general evangelical anti-religious fervour. A lot of them seem to be of the opinion that he is seriously undermining and mis-representing the spirit of the enlightenment because of his intolerance.