Sign in to follow this  
badtodabone

what book are you reading at the moment

Jeez-us. That's a list to take you far away from everyday cares if ever there was one. Escapist not in your vocabulary, charles?

I've finally downloaded some Philip K Dick books to my Kindle so I have Minority Report on the go with The Prince and Shaum's Outline of Chinese Grammar.

hehe - you're not wrong - I've become increasingly bored with fiction over the last few months though. I go through these things in cycles though, I'll no doubt feel I've had my fill of the real world fairly soon and end up inside the head of a three year old or with a medieval detective or on a planet in a distant galaxy 300 milion years from now.

Waterlog - Roger Deakin

I loved that - a bit too episodic to read in one continuous trawl but (no pun intended) a lovely book to dip into.

Edited by charlie clown

the passage by justin cronin

Read that recently. Not bad as that type of thing goes. Does go on for a bit though, doesn't it?

I loved that - a bit too episodic to read in one continuous trawl but (no pun intended) a lovely book to dip into.

Exactly, great bit of night time reading...

For a highly intelligent man who's led such a chequered life he's a f*cking dullard in print.

Much like yourself. Only you're missing the intelligence and chequered life

I had a good run of fiction from the Penguin paperback classic series from January this year so I decided to give Catch-22 another go now that I had a run up to it, because I could only get a third of the way through it the last time. Didn't work, stopped a third of the way through it again, to the disgust of my friends again, completely killed my buzz again, and now I'm back to non-fiction again.

Edited by Coyler

Hegeomy or Survival. America's quest for global dominance

Noam Chomsky

real laugh a minute it is...

Blood Meridian.

Got that from library on friday, haven't started it yet, still reading a Chomsky view of american foriegn policy, is it good??

I had a good run of fiction from the Penguin paperback classic series from January this year so I decided to give Catch-22 another go now that I had a run up to it, because I could only get a third of the way through it the last time. Didn't work, stopped a third of the way through it again, to the disgust of my friends again, completely killed my buzz again, and now I'm back to non-fiction again.

I Struggled all the way through only for it to click for me on the last few chapters, Looking back now I love the book.

Reading a few different things at the moment:

Why England Lose & Other Curious Football Phenomena Explained by Simon Kuper & Stefan Szymanski - A moneyball take on English football. An interesting read but nowhere near as good some of Kuper's other stuff

Parrot & Olivier in America by Peter Carey. Disappointing so far which probably explains why I haven't finished it.

News of a Kidnapping by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. A brilliant piece of journalism. Cannot recommend it enough after reading it three times in the last couple of years.

Awake in the Dark by Roger Ebert. Possibly the greatest popular film critic. His web stuff is also pretty much the best I've seen from any journalist.

Roger Ebert has no jaw left. Sad.

Edited by New York Red

Freedom - Jonathan Franzen - disappointing so far, not even close to the Corrections

Planning on re-reading Robert Caro's Lyndon Johnson trilogy to be ready for the final book in 2012

The Children's Book by AS Byatt.

Marvellous. As good as Possession I hear you ask? Stay tuned for confirmation on that.

Mildly pissed off Kate Atkinson's lashed another Brodie out there. It'll be luscious prose but can't help think a talent is languishing.

Read that recently. Not bad as that type of thing goes. Does go on for a bit though, doesn't it?

i'm a third of the way through. the first bit was pretty good, but suddenly all the characters have disappeared and it's a whole new story. what do these people want and where are the old lot?

Mildly pissed off Kate Atkinson's lashed another Brodie out there. It'll be luscious prose but can't help think a talent is languishing.

I can't get my head round those books - really well written but full of middle-class smugness. I can never decide whether I love or hate em.

Read it on holiday last year - fantastic first two or three hundred pages. Law of diminishing returns sets in thereafter and never really reverses itself. Felt like the author had no idea how to finish it in the end.

Much like yourself. Only you're missing the intelligence and chequered life

This is right up your street Manfred.

511VBQA-W7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Got that from library on friday, haven't started it yet, still reading a Chomsky view of american foriegn policy, is it good??

Blood Meridian is excellent. Pretty vile story, but excellent.

Charlie- Really agree. Thought Case Histories was marvellous and since then despite some terrific segments they've tended to cloy. When reading them you can knuckle through and be safe in the knowledge you're in the company of a very good writer but when you've finished, well, what was the point?

Behind The Scenes and Human Croquet remain absolute crackers. I'd like to get a grip of our Kate and find out what her game is.

Finished Atom, which was excellent. I'll be reading more of Krauss' books soon, with Quintessence up next.

In the meatime though, I've started Daniel Dennett, Breaking the Spell

9780141017778.jpg

and Christopher Hitchens, Love, Poverty and War

9781843544524.jpg

Finished Atom, which was excellent. I'll be reading more of Krauss' books soon, with Quintessence up next.

In the meatime though, I've started Daniel Dennett, Breaking the Spell

9780141017778.jpg

I love Dennett. The Minds I and Consciousness Explained are excellent. He's that odd thing; an academic who can write.

I love Dennett. The Minds I and Consciousness Explained are excellent. He's that odd thing; an academic who can write.

Thanks - I'll give them a look after this one. Its an engaging read so far.

'The Dragon Factory' by Jonathan Maberry. Enjoying it a lot, I really like his stuff - anyone else read Mayberry? This is the follow up to 'Patient Zero' and for anyone into zombies, genetic meddling and lots of violence etc its a must!

He did a good horror series as well 'Ghost Road Blues' was one of them. Think people who like Stephen King, Koontz etc would like him.

"The Reapers" by John Connolly

Read that a few months back - really enjoyed that whole series by Connolly. If you like him I'd recommend Jonathan Mayberry.

Edited by Leo No.8

I have started reading all the star wars books, can't f***ing help it, embarrassing.Only about another 70 to go.

Revolutionary Road - Richard Yates

Heard it was a 'classic', and a 'masterpiece' and all that. It's pretty good so far i must admit. I'm about half way through and it's quite compelling reading. A tad dull though in a way, and i don't exactly yearn to pick it up and read until i'v actually done so when i can't put it down. I think i just like the prose and the characters rather than the actual story.