Sign in to follow this  
badtodabone

what book are you reading at the moment

Reading "Fall, or Dodge in hell" by Neal Stephenson. It's a good return to form, his last few books never hit the heights they should have 

The Washington Poe series of books by MW Craven are by far the best series of crime novels I've read in ages. The latest is now out - The Curator.

Reading a fantastic little book at the moment, My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix. Creepy, nostalgic, 80s horror. 

18 hours ago, cymrococh said:

The Washington Poe series of books by MW Craven are by far the best series of crime novels I've read in ages. The latest is now out - The Curator.

These look interesting, ta man.

19 hours ago, cymrococh said:

Better than the John Connolly?

Needed a break from serious stuff and I've just started 

A Curious History of Sex by Kate Lister who runs the whores of yore twitter account which is brilliant and also previous pledges had a % go to a Sex Worker charity, it's also a very big book and is sure to be a talking point, you should buy this book!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Swan Red said:

Needed a break from serious stuff and I've just started 

A Curious History of Sex by Kate Lister who runs the whores of yore twitter account which is brilliant and also previous pledges had a % go to a Sex Worker charity, it's also a very big book and is sure to be a talking point, you should buy this book!

She's great. I love that twitter account. Although that statement now feels a bit like a subtweet directed at you...

• Haha 1

I started on two books last week, both of them great so far (and both about half way through so it's not based on just the first chapter). One is When Time Stopped by Ariana Neumann, a family history/holocaust/underground-anti-Nazi spy true story thing. Fascinating and compelling reading.

The other is Gary Imlach's My Father And Other Working Class Football Heroes which I bought years ago and started to read once and for whatever reason never got past the first few pages. Started it again now and am absolutely hooked. It's superbly written, maybe the best football book I've read. Some of the horrendous employment, contractual & pay-related issues the footballer of the fifties had to deal with were horrendous. I'd have to hold my hand up and say I was pretty ignorant of most of it so it's been a real eye-opener. Example: Tommy Docherty was in the Scotland squad for the '58 world cup and came back out of pocket. He made no match appearances so got no match fees. Any expenses that the players had were deducted from their match fees. The SFA didn't pay the players any per diems. So if you didn't play, you paid for all your own expenses with no recourse to compensation. Docherty was one of those who lost money by being selected for a world cup.   

Edited by charlie clown

20 minutes ago, Swan Red said:

Better than the John Connolly?

I do love the atmosphere of those Connolly books but they do stick to a formula and I haven't read one for a while. These ones are just my current favourites I guess.  

@Bailo I was enjoying Luna, not sure why I stopped reading it but I'll definitely go back to it.

12 minutes ago, charlie clown said:

Docherty was one of those who lost money by being selected for a world cup.   

Good.

I took a Connolly on holiday with me last year was the first time in ages I'd read one and really enjoyed it, probably because I'd not picked one up for ten years or so.

2 hours ago, cymrococh said:

@Bailo I was enjoying Luna, not sure why I stopped reading it but I'll definitely go back to it.

@cymrocochI finished it last week - throughly enjoyed it despite it making no bones about being GoT on the Moon but with better writing. The ending is brilliant. HBO could do a lot worse than to pick it up to be a GoT/Westworld replacement.

6 hours ago, charlie clown said:

I took a Connolly on holiday with me last year was the first time in ages I'd read one and really enjoyed it, probably because I'd not picked one up for ten years or so.

I'm reading a Connolly at the moment (The Unquiet), having only read one of his before. It's good but I'm not blown away and hooked. Charlie Parker is a good character though. 

I'll check out the MW Craven books. 

Im reading Bill Bryson A short history of nearly everything at the moment. I've read it before but it still throws me with  the amazing facts released,  even in the introduction! I've paraphrased the bit below, and this is before he drops the bit about how much of our solar system is beyond Pluto, in think Pluto us only 1/50000 of the way!!!!!

...we are made up of billions of atoms. These atoms dont know you exist and indeed dont know they exist as they arent actually alive. If you were able to take your body apart, atom by atom, you would have a pile of atomic dust,  none of which had ever been alive yet all part of you. Yet somehow for a small period of time, maybe maximum 650,000 hours they will answer a simple rigid impulse to make you you.....