Sign in to follow this  
badtodabone

what book are you reading at the moment

I find audiobooks a bit weird, there are some that I've really enjoyed - and others that I have found infuriating. I realised after a while that the big thing that drives me nuts with them is when the reader does weird things, usually acTORs who attempt to put on a different voice for each character. OK, they're earning their crust but, please, just read the damned thing. And then there are others where there are just basic quibbles like regular mispronunciations or using weird conventions to describe something normal (I listed to one recently that was a journal and every date was read out as, like, "twenty-nine January", instead of "the twenty-ninth of January"). They're not big things but once you pick up on them they are massively distracting. 

Anyway rant over, agreed with Sion's list and a few others I have really enjoyed: Joe Boyd's White Bicycles, Don Carpenter's Hard Rain Falling, The Fear Index by Robert Harris, Danny Baker's Going To Sea In A Sieve, Restless by William Boyd, Through It All I've Always Laughed by Count Arthur Strong, Le Carre's Tinker Tailor, Richard Ford's Frank Bascombe series.

I think my general guideline would be, if you can listen to a sample first do that so that you can make sure you get along with the narrator. Otherwise you'll feel like you're trapped in a never-ending Jackanory where you're stuck in the studio with Jimmy Saville.

Just finished Violet by SJI Holliday. Basically a 21st century Talented Mr Ripley. The prose is excellent but the ending feels very muddled and rushed.

On 08/03/2020 at 19:41, Redwire said:

The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. by Neal Stephenson and Nicole Hall and.  Good fun.

Yeah,  jitsu finished this,  weird and wonderful

1 hour ago, cymrococh said:

I'm on a run of very enjoyable books, just coming to the end of The Hunger by Alma Katsu - a frontier horror story.

That sounds like ideal holiday reading. Just added to my wishlist.

' The Ox. The last of the great rock stars ' - The authorised biography of John Entwhistle.

Highly entertaining so far. And he's just met Keith Moon for the first time, so I reckon it'll get even better...

Is this thread going to get v busy now if we're all self isolating and with no footie to watch? 

Just finished The Topeka School by Jonah Lehrer. It got tonnes of praise last year and I can see why. It's quite dense- took me a long time to get through - but some brilliant bursts where the writing style suddenly shifts. 

Halfway through Wych Elm by Tana French. Very well written mystery novel set in Dublin 

Mark O'Connell is a terrific Irish writer and To Be A Human is an enjoyable trip into the weird world of transhumanism. He has a touch of Jon Ronson to his writing style 

Llyfr Glas Nebo (Blue Book of Nebo) - a mother and son survive in post-Armageddon Snowdonia cracker

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 07:20, smithdown said:

Llyfr Glas Nebo (Blue Book of Nebo) - a mother and son survive in post-Armageddon Snowdonia cracker

Set in a future that is round about this upcoming May bank holiday, I assume?

2 minutes ago, charlie clown said:

Set in a future that is round about this upcoming May bank holiday, I assume?

Think that’s when the English version is/was due out

On 14/03/2020 at 07:20, smithdown said:

The author is a great presence on Twitter, and a red. Her Twitter name is Manon Steffan Klopp.

28 minutes ago, cymrococh said:

The author is a great presence on Twitter, and a red. Her Twitter name is Manon Steffan Klopp.

Yeah she ran a course I was on a couple of years ago at Tocky library, she’s sound as a pound - sent over the English version for us a couple of months ago just before all this broke out.

Her dad was a musician and was arrested for the Meibion Glyndwr holiday home burning campaign. Her sister is a musician as well and is very good - Lleuwen.

Edited by cymrococh

Just started reading "Egress : On Mourning, Melancholy and Mark Fisher" by Matt Colquhoun 

30 pages in and it is absolutely superb so far

1 minute ago, cymrococh said:

Her dad was a musician and was arrested for the Meibion Glyndwr holiday home burning campaign. Her sister is a musician as well and is very good - Lleuwen.

She’s got a cool little album out too not long back as Blodau Gwylltion

9 minutes ago, cymrococh said:

Coincidence that two of us have referenced MG in the last week? I think not though I clearly copied it because I got whatever the Welsh equivalent of a fada is above the w.

2 minutes ago, Swan Red said:

Coincidence that two of us have referenced MG in the last week? I think not though I clearly copied it because I got whatever the Welsh equivalent of a fada is above the w.

Btw I just asked and her dad wasn’t arrested over any of that house burning stuff - he was originally from Stoke after all so that would have been a bit mad -  but they were heavily into the Welsh language campaigns and marches and the like so came up against the heddlu there.