I think the thing for me is that Kenny is such a legend and has such stature that in looking like he is trying to belittle the sky reporters it is actually beneath HIM. He really doesn't need to do anything to draw attention to those who aren't worth bringing attention to, and yet in doing so it makes Kenny look smaller... Kinda reverse impact ?!?

Chewie

Yeah, think you've nailed it there. They're not worth it.

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sky Sports and the written press are not the be all and end all of football, they're staggering around trying to validate their existance. Kenny knows he has an obligation to meet with Sky, and he puts the minimum effort in to fulfill that obligation. Kenny also knows that if he wants to get his message across to the fans, he can do that most effectively through LFC tv, or the website, and that message wont be subject to the normal press or Sky spin. Given the personal attacks he has experienced this season, I fully understand his attitude. Perhaps a summer break will do him good, and he may feel more inclined to be less confrontational next season.

Its worth remembering that those same clowns at Sky and in the written press didnt ever give Rafa the respect he was due either.

I think the thing for me is that Kenny is such a legend and has such stature that in looking like he is trying to belittle the sky reporters it is actually beneath HIM. He really doesn't need to do anything to draw attention to those who aren't worth bringing attention to, and yet in doing so it makes Kenny look smaller... Kinda reverse impact ?!?

Chewie

Well said. I am 100% behind Kenny's stance but I would like him to adopt this attitude. And still give them nothing, like.

If al-Jazeera Sport gets the rights to the premier league you would hope some of these bells like Burton and shreeves would never be seen on screen again.

Would love it. Would absolutely love to see Sky have to make do with the Monday night package or whatever the dregs of the PL auction are.

I'm not a big fan of Kennys approach to the media this season - I like him ripping Vinny in his PCs etc. but his demeanour has got more grumpy since we've been crap.

Just makes him look like he's struggling with the pressure and lashing out, he needs to stay calmer and use his wit to belittle them rather than being quite so miserable.

We know Kenny has never suffered fools gladly, so why are we surprised he despises Sky, after what he's seen first hand, but probably also noticed what Rafa had to endure from these cvnts.

Hopefully the footy on the internet will kill Sky off

Edited by floyd

None of us like or trust the media. However it is a part of the managers job to manage them.

A crude as it sounds it's brand management and contributes to marketing dollars. The concept of no such thing as negative press is a fallacy.

Having Kenny back could drive massive marketing dollars and we need to manage the commercial benefits of him. His public face at Liverpool has a value and his press conferences are part of that.

None of us like or trust the media. However it is a part of the managers job to manage them.

A crude as it sounds it's brand management and contributes to marketing dollars. The concept of no such thing as negative press is a fallacy.

Having Kenny back could drive massive marketing dollars and we need to manage the commercial benefits of him. His public face at Liverpool has a value and his press conferences are part of that.

Has it hurt United's brand that Ferguson wrote the book on being a c*** to the media and in fact didn't even talk to his national broadcaster for god knows how many years?

Thye need us as much as we need them.

Yeah well when we have won a few titles and are the commercial juggernauts they are we can afford that luxury. Until then nothing wrong with providing the marketing people as much support as we can get. Look at the goodwill real Madrid lost when Jose had his rants last season.

They're just tabloid hacks working in an environment where integrity or anything beyond a basic understanding of football isn't particularly valued.

Nah Tabloid hacks can write words and stuff. These are just sub literate morons.

Has it hurt United's brand that Ferguson wrote the book on being a c*** to the media and in fact didn't even talk to his national broadcaster for god knows how many years?

If you think that is all Ferguson has done then you're very naive. He's manipulated the media time and time again.

Christ almighty, they need us far more than we need them. f***ing PR as a prerequisite to manage a football team. For f*** sake, what a f***ing joke.

Yeah well when we have won a few titles and are the commercial juggernauts they are we can afford that luxury. Until then nothing wrong with providing the marketing people as much support as we can get. Look at the goodwill real Madrid lost when Jose had his rants last season.

Goodwill among who? You? Is that what it's all about - that you and people like you don't like that kind of thing?

Jose Mourinho's rants last season played a key part in him being to get rid of the sporting director, run the whole club his way, has the fans 100% behind him and is currently in the semi final of the European Cup and 5 points clear at the top of La Liga.

If you think that is all Ferguson has done then you're very naive. He's manipulated the media time and time again.

Just as Kenny is doing now. It's just not as subtle because when Ferguson started doing his staredown of the media, there wasn't SSN or 1 billion pound football coverage contracts to squeeze every last drop of ROI from.

Jeez dus chill out a little.

How can you say that managers don't need to know pr? They've always needed that skill. It's nothin different.

Also, why do you think standard chartered paid so much? We have a large number of fans in the far east. How many of those fans would disappear if we continued on our current trend and bad pr? Those fans may not be integral to the club or contribute and be the classic fans who post stupid stuff on blogs and tweet John Henry to buy a player. However, it is those that attract the marketing dollar.

I work in sales and marketing. There is no one single thing that swings a deal, it's usually a collective number of factors. To think Kenny's public face, and press is not one of those factors shows a lack of commercial reality.

How can you say that managers don't need to know pr? They've always needed that skill. It's nothin different.

Also, why do you think standard chartered paid so much? We have a large number of fans in the far east. How many of those fans would disappear if we continued on our current trend and bad pr? Those fans may not be integral to the club or contribute and be the classic fans who post stupid stuff on blogs and tweet John Henry to buy a player. However, it is those that attract the marketing dollar.

I work in sales and marketing. There is no one single thing that swings a deal, it's usually a collective number of factors. To think Kenny's public face, and press is not one of those factors shows a lack of commercial reality.

what possible impact does Kenny's post match grumpiness at a Sky Bellend have on our Far East Supporters, that's what i'd like to know?

Where did I say he hasn't?

I was replying to a very specific point about how we will damage 'the brand' if we get arsey with the media.

As other have pointed out, Kenny is fine with the BBC so it isn't as if he is running around abusing all and sundry, much as people seem to trying it as that. .

what possible impact does Kenny's post match grumpiness at a Sky Bellend have on our Far East Supporters, that's what i'd like to know?

Ah there's probably some vvank equivalency metric that puts a pound/dollar/euro value on every minute of Kenny smiling at the devils on Sky Sports.

I have serious reservations about the character of anyone who believes in this kind of s****. Many of us have to work with it on a daily basis and then some think that it's relevant to following their football club and put it on a par with being able stand on the line and win a title.

We should probably have a Sales, Marketing & PR forum soon.

I do a lot of my work in sales and marketing too. This isn't Argos and it isn't Shell Oil.

Christ almighty, they need us far more than we need them. f***ing PR as a prerequisite to manage a football team. For f*** sake, what a f***ing joke.

Not sure why you are getting arsey with me to be honest, I basically agree with you that people are getting too het up over Kenny treating certain reporters from certain organisations with the contempt they deserve.

And yeah, on balance they do need us more, it was a throwaway line in response to someone getting overly anxious about the PR side of things.

For years we've said we are too soft, we let the media push us around, etc and now when we finally have someone who will defend the club to the hilt we start worrying over what it does to 'the brand'.

Edited by kop205

Where did I say he hasn't?

I was replying to a very specific point about how we will damage 'the brand' if we get arsey with the media.

As other have pointed out, Kenny is fine with the BBC so it isn't as if he is running around abusing all and sundry, much as people seem to trying it as that. .

Fair enough. Thought you were suggesting that Ferguson and Kenny were both good at it because they were both arsey Scots.