By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Hodge Positives

sutty

But we often do when they don't play, and then they come back in and the rest of the midfield freezes and Gerrard only passes to Torres

EXACTLY.. i have felt that for a while also.. Then Cole came in and Gerrard felt the need only to pass to him. Which put the spotlight on Cole more than normal and gave him the ball in unnatural, forced scenarios which has benefitted. The team is only as good as the sum of it's parts. Everyone gets a chance to shine when they don't play. Saying that. I'd still have them in.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. We look more dangerous from corners and a little bit more inventive. Thought the 1st goal yesterday was a good routine. Helps that RM seems to have a decent delivery in him. - Agreed

2. Lucas & RM - looks a very good partnership that. There's a hodge negative in that he keeps shunting RM out to the right - but that is another matter - I think that's by default rather than design though. His comments about Lucas last weekend were dispicable and shows his attitude towards him.

3. He appears all too slowly to be learning. We've started pressing the ball. A bit. And he also is saying better things in the media. I suspect somebody may have suggested that he "button it, d****ead". If that has happened the messge isn;t sinking ion too well (the Lucas comment again)

4. Ngog - looks a player. :wacko:..... he does, but what that has to do with RFH is beyond me.

Edited by charlie clown

1. We look more dangerous from corners and a little bit more inventive. Thought the 1st goal yesterday was a good routine. Helps that RM seems to have a decent delivery in him.

2. Lucas & RM - looks a very good partnership that. There's a hodge negative in that he keeps shunting RM out to the right - but that is another matter

3. He appears all too slowly to be learning. We've started pressing the ball. A bit. And he also is saying better things in the media. I suspect somebody may have suggested that he "button it, d****ead"

4. Ngog - looks a player.

He still has an annoying grid though.

I can't see any positives with the old fool in charge

We looked better from corners mainly because Gerrard wasn't playing. He's a shocking corner taker and finds the head of the first defender about 19 times out of 20. Plus, with Carragher being out, Kyrgiakos goes up for corners and provides the goal threat that Carragher never does.

Rest assured that when Gerrard's fit again Meireles will be shunted around the pitch again

I'm positive about last nights play. The 4 4 2 looks great and I want to see more of it but :

i) to keep playing it he has to put Stevie out on the right. I hope he has the strength of character to do that.

ii) any side with a decent attack down our left flank will tear us to pieces there.

I (begrudgingly, as I don't like the man) have to think Hodgson deserves more of a chance after last nights display - but at the moment that's all it has been. One or two decent, not good, displays against poor opposition. It's a massive difference from that to having us play that way consistently. And away from home, where we still only have one win.

4-4-2 is a s*** system in the modern game and every single time we've played a team that isn't either basically s*** or plays 5 in the middle our midfield gets over-run. It's the reason why England always look total s*** as they also use the hopeless system against teams with 5 in midfield. It's not a coincidence

1. We look more dangerous from corners and a little bit more inventive. Thought the 1st goal yesterday was a good routine. Helps that RM seems to have a decent delivery in him. - Agreed

2. Lucas & RM - looks a very good partnership that. There's a hodge negative in that he keeps shunting RM out to the right - but that is another matter - I think that's by default rather than design though. His comments about Lucas last weekend were dispicable and shows his attitude towards him.

3. He appears all too slowly to be learning. We've started pressing the ball. A bit. And he also is saying better things in the media. I suspect somebody may have suggested that he "button it, d****ead". If that has happened the messge isn;t sinking ion too well (the Lucas comment again)

4. Ngog - looks a player. :wacko:..... he does, but what that has to do with RFH is beyond me.

What are these Lucas comments then?

Yeah, excellent run we've been on eh.

We've been on a reasonable run with 6 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats in our last 10.

4-4-2 is a s*** system in the modern game and every single time we've played a team that isn't either basically s*** or plays 5 in the middle our midfield gets over-run. It's the reason why England always look total s*** as they also use the hopeless system against teams with 5 in midfield. It's not a coincidence

You get a job ahead of Capello then.

What are these Lucas comments then?

Posted on here over the w/e by Carralegend:

http://www.sportingl...l&TEAMHD=soccer

"It has discovered players for us. David and Lucas were, in the beginning, players many Liverpool fans thought were not good enough for the first team," said the Reds boss.

"They have used this competiion in the early stages to prove they are very much first team players and in more recent weeks we have seen players like Jonjo Shelvey emerge."

"It has discovered players for us. David and Lucas were, in the beginning, players many Liverpool fans thought were not good enough for the first team," said the Reds boss.

"They have used this competiion in the early stages to prove they are very much first team players and in more recent weeks we have seen players like Jonjo Shelvey emerge."

Despicable comments indeed, practically asks for stringing up

Despicable ?

He's talking about one player there who was famously booed by the fans. It's not a secret that Lucas had problems. Hodgson has always been full of praise for Lucas.

RH has said some stupid things, but this isn't an example.

Despicable ?

He's talking about one player there who was famously booed by the fans. It's not a secret that Lucas had problems. Hodgson has always been full of praise for Lucas.

RH has said some stupid things, but this isn't an example.

Despicable in that Hodgson had already made his mind up about Lucas before he had even set foot in Melwood and seen him play first hand. Remember at the beginning of the season Lucas didnt get a look in until it became obvious that he was a much better bet than Poulsen

Despicable in that Hodgson had already made his mind up about Lucas before he had even set foot in Melwood and seen him play first hand. Remember at the beginning of the season Lucas didnt get a look in until it became obvious that he was a much better bet than Poulsen

Again. 'despicable' isn't really the right word for a manager trying one player ahead of another. It's not as if Lucas was an established club legend suddenly cast into the cold. And as it happens Lucas got plenty of games early on.

They just riled me because it was as if the sub-text was 'we all knew he was a bad buy and never performed in his Liverpool career so far, but now I've given him the chance and got him in the right sort of formation, he is begining to show what he's capable of'. I think it's really disrespectful to Rafa, I think it's utterly disrespectful to Lucas and I think it once again shows his pathetic arrogance and lack of knowledge of the club and its more recent history.

They just riled me because it was as if the sub-text was 'we all knew he was a bad buy and never performed in his Liverpool career so far, but now I've given him the chance and got him in the right sort of formation, he is begining to show what he's capable of'. I think it's really disrespectful to Rafa, I think it's utterly disrespectful to Lucas and I think it once again shows his pathetic arrogance and lack of knowledge of the club and its more recent history.

Know where you are coming from, but to be fair it does actually look like now he's got him in a certain setup and formation he is beginning to show what he is capable of!

A lot of people on here liked Lucas under Rafa, a lot didn't - he was quite a divisive subject. I don't want to be disrespectful to Rafa at all, but as one of those who didn't like him, but am now being hugely impressed by recent performances I have to pretty much agree with the above. I think his role is a little less tightly defined now, and the player who was contained within it before is blossoming into something really quite impressive with a bit more freedom.

As I said on the other thread, I don't think this is a stroke of genius by Hodgson though. He just happens to fit this setup better.

Edited by Leo No.8

all managers do it including rafa, and he might even have a point.

Again. 'despicable' isn't really the right word for a manager trying one player ahead of another. It's not as if Lucas was an established club legend suddenly cast into the cold. And as it happens Lucas got plenty of games early on.

he was one of our best performing players last season

[tbf, didn't he make him captain for one of the very first competitive games? Suggests his mind was not totally closed to Lucas early on

I don't see that sub-text really. I think these quotes on Levia sum up what he is trying to say better

'I have listened quite patiently to lots of people and I realised when I came here there was a prejudice against Lucas and people had basically suggested he is not a good player.

'But I listen and I don't argue until I know better, and I don't take prejudices on board when I go to a new club. I try to take everybody at face value, give them a chance and work with them

'I was certainly more than happy to do that with Lucas and I've got to say I don't see here what people really found to criticise in him.

'I can only judge as I find - and I find him a very hard working, diligent player who is working hard on his understanding of the game and understanding about team performances.'

From about a month ago them. He's not saying he is made him a good player, just that he has found him a much better one that has been suggested

I've got 99 problems with The Hodge, but the Lev aint one

I hate Hodgson but I can't really get annoyed over those comments.

As I say, it just wound me up. Another symptom and reason.... not necessarily fair or rational but I hate the clunt so fairness and rationalism don't always join the debate.

Sub-text or not though, it is I think a legacy of the fact that 98.4259% of his public utterances are having a go at the club or the players, are lowering expetcations, are kow-towing to the opposition, or are just diverting on to anyone but him. Makes me very suspicious of the scientifically proven 1.5741% where he may not actually be doing that.

Edited by charlie clown