By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Snow

Montse

FFS the whole country grinds to a halt as soon as we get a couple of inches of the white stuff!

I was stranded on a train for 3 hrs last night for a journey that usually takes 20 mins and only got back cos we had to be diverted via Gatwick. The OH took 13 hrs to get home last night cos the M25 was fooked and he wasnt even on it! :angry:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FFS the whole country grinds to a halt as soon as we get a couple of inches of the white stuff!

I was stranded on a train for 3 hrs last night for a journey that usually takes 20 mins and only got back cos we had to be diverted via Gatwick. The OH took 13 hrs to get home last night cos the M25 was fooked and he wasnt even on it! :angry:

that's what he told you!! :mischief:

I've learnt to feckin hate snow now.

But until we as a country are willing to spend more money, and that means higher local taxes, on expensive equipment that will only be used once in a blue moon then this'll be what happens. Other countries cope better with snow because they get it more often and are willing to spend the money to cope.

It is somewhat snowy in South Liverpool and Warrington. Monday saw a 3 hour trip to work (Both lanes of Speke Boulevard closed). Last week saw three journeys home that took 2 1/2, 3 and 3 1/2 hours due to crashes and misleading signage used by the motorway people and the Main A Road past the M62 was chocka last night which causes loads of enjoyable problems all over the shop.

Yesterday morning took and hour and a half for a 35 minute journey and this morning was an hour and ten minutes.

So it's getting better. Probably.

I've learnt to feckin hate snow now.

But until we as a country are willing to spend more money, and that means higher local taxes, on expensive equipment that will only be used once in a blue moon then this'll be what happens. Other countries cope better with snow because they get it more often and are willing to spend the money to cope.

I always see this being said to counter the usual "US gets it much worse and they don't shut down", but it seems to be occuring with increased regularity in this country now, so maybe we should accept we often get snow between Nov-Mar?

Absolutely right. Maybe if more people walked to work instead of desperately trying to carry on as normal in their cars journey times would come down for those who have to travel.

Edited by D.Boon

Absolutely right. Maybe if more people walked to work instead of desperately trying to carry on as normal in their cars journey times would come down for those who have to travel.

Ha! Last year, in the really bad patch, I was leaving for work (walking, I should say), when I see a car in some difficulty starting off and getting up the road. So me and another bloke offer to help push the car up the hill. The lass inside is very thankful and we tell her to go easy on the throttle and we'd get her up to the cleared bit. After 10 minutes of pushing, and her revving the car like an F1 driver, we give up and say that the combination of ice/snow, her throttle control and the stupid racing tyres she has on are going to make it impossible. We push the car to the side of the road, and I ask her if she's got far to go. "Oh no, just to Selly Oak station to catch the train". Selly Oak station, from my house, is a 10min walk. The other bloke and I just walk off without saying anything.

Ha! Last year, in the really bad patch, I was leaving for work (walking, I should say), when I see a car in some difficulty starting off and getting up the road. So me and another bloke offer to help push the car up the hill. The lass inside is very thankful and we tell her to go easy on the throttle and we'd get her up to the cleared bit. After 10 minutes of pushing, and her revving the car like an F1 driver, we give up and say that the combination of ice/snow, her throttle control and the stupid racing tyres she has on are going to make it impossible. We push the car to the side of the road, and I ask her if she's got far to go. "Oh no, just to Selly Oak station to catch the train". Selly Oak station, from my house, is a 10min walk. The other bloke and I just walk off without saying anything.

I rest my case.

the snow is pretty deep in High Peak but I get the train and cycle the rest of the way to work and its fine. Cycling in the snow is good fun although I may not be saying that when it all turns to ice and I end up on my a*** at the side if the road.

the snow is pretty deep in High Peak but I get the train and cycle the rest of the way to work and its fine. Cycling in the snow is good fun although I may not be saying that when it all turns to ice and I end up on my a*** at the side if the road.

f***in' eco warrior. Get a Freelander

I've been stuck in the house since saturday 10 miles from the nearest gritted road

it's starting to piss me off

Snap. And I was only supposed be here for the weekend. It's all very well people saying things like "sure look at the Scandinavians, life continues for them as normal" (which actually isn't completely true) but the fact is that you can't drive long distances on untreated roads which have compacted 5 days worth of snow, even if you have a 4x4 with snow tyres.

It is somewhat snowy in South Liverpool and Warrington. Monday saw a 3 hour trip to work (Both lanes of Speke Boulevard closed). Last week saw three journeys home that took 2 1/2, 3 and 3 1/2 hours due to crashes and misleading signage used by the motorway people and the Main A Road past the M62 was chocka last night which causes loads of enjoyable problems all over the shop.

Yesterday morning took and hour and a half for a 35 minute journey and this morning was an hour and ten minutes.

So it's getting better. Probably.

Probably quicker on the train, Andy ;)

indeed...anyone with a bit of sense wouldve asked her that first and saved themselves 10 mins of pushing.

duncey eh..

Well, maybe I've just got more naive trust in humanity than you. Won't be making that mistake again.

played a blinder last year in January. I walked to the bus stop on main the road and some bloke walked past in snow shoes and said "there are no buses today". So off I popped home. Apparently the surrounding streets were cleared that day, the counicl didn't see our street as a priority so I took another two days off ....even going as far to text a picture of my street to my boss to say I can't leave the house in this.

Snap. And I was only supposed be here for the weekend. It's all very well people saying things like "sure look at the Scandinavians, life continues for them as normal" (which actually isn't completely true) but the fact is that you can't drive long distances on untreated roads which have compacted 5 days worth of snow, even if you have a 4x4 with snow tyres.

Yeah this is the problem here the neighbour took an hour to get to Ardee in a 4x4 and it's usually a 15 minute jouney, Slane is impassable as is Collon and the nearest road to be gritted is Ardee so I'm stuck, it's a pretty busy road to Ardee from where we are and it's never gritted and is unlikely to ever be.

I considered a 4x4 after last year but I can't run two cars and I don't particularly want to have a 4x4 all year when I need it for