By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Primal scream Friday night

jimbolala

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No chance they'll play at 7.30pm :lol:

I'd say 9.30 at the earliest.

I saw them play a benefit gig with The Orb in 1992 (Screamadelica period) at Sheffield Arena and it's still one of the best gigs I've been to. Bobby G was pretty smashed and strolled on stage about 2 hours late but then put in a really great performance before having to be helped off the stage at the end! I think he's toned things down a bit since then but I can't imagine them playing early.

The Orb were great too - put on a fantastic light and visuals show and 'played' most of their album The Orb's Journey into the Ultraworld, which I was really into at the time (and still like today actually).

Ah those were the days.

Going to see primal scream Friday night in London . Are they really going to come on at 7.30 as stated on website? And where is good for ale beforehand. It's at the Olympia

Yeah, they'll be on then. Eight at the latest. The 9.00 set is when they're playing Screamadelica. It'll all be over by half ten.

No chance they'll play at 7.30pm :lol:

I'd say 9.30 at the earliest.

I saw them play a benefit gig with The Orb in 1992 (Screamadelica period) at Sheffield Arena and it's still one of the best gigs I've been to. Bobby G was pretty smashed and strolled on stage about 2 hours late but then put in a really great performance before having to be helped off the stage at the end! I think he's toned things down a bit since then but I can't imagine them playing early.

The Orb were great too - put on a fantastic light and visuals show and 'played' most of their album The Orb's Journey into the Ultraworld, which I was really into at the time (and still like today actually).

Ah those were the days.

I saw the same line up in Leicester so it must have been the same tour and yeah the orb was the first time I listened to trancy stuff outside of a club thought it was a cracking album

I saw the same line up in Leicester so it must have been the same tour and yeah the orb was the first time I listened to trancy stuff outside of a club thought it was a cracking album

Saw them on that tour also. They were magnificently f***ed up and have always been a great live act.

Still can't quite work out whether they are a truly great band or a bunch of guys with the greatest record collection in the world. Someday's its the former, sometimes the latter. With Dylan, Sly Stone, the Velvets, Stones, etc its pretty simple to work out. They took a bunch of musical influences and created something completely new. Primal Scream hoovered up a collection of great sounds and made records that paid loving tribute to them. Screamadelica may be an exception but I've always wondered how much that was down to Andy Weatherall. Tim?

Saw them on that tour also. They were magnificently f***ed up and have always been a great live act.

Still can't quite work out whether they are a truly great band or a bunch of guys with the greatest record collection in the world. Someday's its the former, sometimes the latter. With Dylan, Sly Stone, the Velvets, Stones, etc its pretty simple to work out. They took a bunch of musical influences and created something completely new. Primal Scream hoovered up a collection of great sounds and made records that paid loving tribute to them. Screamadelica may be an exception but I've always wondered how much that was down to Andy Weatherall. Tim?

Wetherall obviously had a lot to do with it, but so did getting into the whole house scene generally. They made records that were in many ways more radical after Screamadelica. I think they always had that side to them. When Bob and Jim Beattie first started out they were an experimental noise band.

I think working with Wetherall opened them up to what they could do, but 'Loaded' was the band's idea, not Wetherall's and they pushed him to do something very different from what they had been doing. His first remix was far more cautious. I think the band and Wetherall were good for each other. The role of Andrew Innes often goes unnoticed. He's at least as important as Bob within the band; he's just never been interested in being its public face.

I saw them in Barcelona on Saturday and they were very good indeed. 'Come Together' was fantastic.

Wetherall obviously had a lot to do with it, but so did getting into the whole house scene generally. They made records that were in many ways more radical after Screamadelica. I think they always had that side to them. When Bob and Jim Beattie first started out they were an experimental noise band.

I think working with Wetherall opened them up to what they could do, but 'Loaded' was the band's idea, not Wetherall's and they pushed him to do something very different from what they had been doing. His first remix was far more cautious. I think the band and Wetherall were good for each other. The role of Andrew Innes often goes unnoticed. He's at least as important as Bob within the band; he's just never been interested in being its public face.

I saw them in Barcelona on Saturday and they were very good indeed. 'Come Together' was fantastic.

I love xtrmntr and I can see the connection between it and the stuff the JAMC did alright.

Was in Barcelona the week before last which is a bit of a pisser. I would like to see them again. I might try to make a trip to Europe in March and go to one of the London gigs.

The gig at Sheffield Arena was a benefit gig for the miners and was packed so they'd have got a few quid which was nice.

Saw both at Glasto that year and they were great there too. They had the susnet slot on the NME stage. Chap behind me in the crowd tapped me on the shoulder and asked for a light and when I turned around it was Tim Burgess from The Charlatans - surely he could have got a backstage pass rather than slumming it in the crowd!

1992 was a great Glasto - as well Primal scream and The Orb there were some other very good performances (for my tastes)including Spiritualized, PJ Harvey, Lou Reed, Television, Billy Bragg, The Family Cat and also Blur with Damon Albarn getting completely stuck after climbing up the rigging at the side of the stage and needing to be helped down by Security. Weather was magnificent all weekend too.

Screamadelica was by far and away the best Primal Scream album in my eyes and came out at just the right time too. I liked xtrmntr but the other albums left me a bit cold.

Edited by TommoK

The gig at Sheffield Arena was a benefit gig for the miners and was packed so they'd have got a few quid which was nice.

Saw both at Glasto that year and they were great there too. They had the susnet slot on the NME stage. Chap behind me in the crowd tapped me on the shoulder and asked for a light and when I turned around it was Tim Burgess from The Charlatans - surely he could have got a backstage pass rather than slumming it in the crowd!

1992 was a great Glasto - as well Primal scream and The Orb there were some other very good performances (for my tastes)including Spiritualized, PJ Harvey, Lou Reed, Television, Billy Bragg, The Family Cat and also Blur with Damon Albarn getting completely stuck after climbing up the rigging at the side of the stage and needing to be helped down by Security. Weather was magnificent all weekend too.

Screamadelica was by far and away the best Primal Scream album in my eyes and came out at just the right time too. I liked xtrmntr but the other albums left me a bit cold.

Mick Hucknall paid for the PA and crew for Sheffield Arena that night. Always liked him just for that.

Fun da mental were on that year, dr phibes too.

Er...

There were others.

Don't forget James who replaced Morrissey as one of the headliners at short notice much to the chagrin of thousands of Smiths fans who were wandering around all weekend looking more glum than usual.