By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Meltdown by Ben Elton

sutty

Just started reading this. Was a little bit apprehensive that given the subject matter it might be so ridiculously Ben Elton as to drive me mental.

I was right to be concerned.

There's a cockney w*****. He's s***. His wife is thin. He's made loads of money but doesn't know how to do anything. He opulent. Disgustingly opulent. He drinks really expensive champagne and is disgustingly opulent. Him and his wife sip wine while servants look after their kids, which is disgustingly opulent and disgusting. The have stairs, made of glass that have light bulbs inside them which is tasteless and disgustingly opulent. He doesn't know how to change the light bulbs because he is disgustingly opulent.

I'm on about page 34. I'm pretty sure that Jimmy is a cockney w***** who is disgustingly opulent and doesn't know how to do anything.

Is the joke being Ben Elton is a fine one to criticise anyone else for selling themselves out and becoming a vacuous money hungry whore?

Well the thought occurred when he was talking about the opulence that I am sure that in releasing his new annual work early december isn't done for philanthropic reasons...

I've enjoyed a few of his books. But you know he is going to be preachy on this stuff and he really really is f***ing preachy

He also makes reference to a building society crashing and calls it Caledonian Granite or something. If you are going to be that obvious call it Northern Rock.

The one based on Natural Born Killers was ok.

There's a few that are OK.

The big brother one was a fair read...

i liked gridlock, and stark

I thought Stark was actually pretty good. The intro was good. The characters were interesting. The storyline was informative and interesting, but towards the end I got the feeling he got fed up with the whole thing and it seemed a bit rushed and a massive anti-climax. He had the option of really going into stuff, but it became nearly throwaway and the end of the 'winner', while poetic, seemed a lost opportunity to examine the effects and aftermath. At least short term.

I thought Stark was actually pretty good. The intro was good. The characters were interesting. The storyline was informative and interesting, but towards the end I got the feeling he got fed up with the whole thing and it seemed a bit rushed and a massive anti-climax. He had the option of really going into stuff, but it became nearly throwaway and the end of the 'winner', while poetic, seemed a lost opportunity to examine the effects and aftermath. At least short term.

i have to admit the ending was a bit of an anti climax but i thought the characters were great