By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Someone's broken my laptop

Kurt

Sat on the train yesterday, doing a bit if work on the Macbook. Woman sat opposite knocks her wine over, all over the table and into my laptop.

Unsurprisingly, there's a flash and a pop and the Macbook's dead. She was mortified, apologies etc etc.. Swiftly followed by claims of poverty. I've got her details and that of a passenger who saw it all.

Thing is, what do I do now?

Do I try and claim on my house insurance (but not mention the train bit)?

Do I do I take it into Apple and get them to have a look then bill her for the repair/replacement?

Is it possible she can claim on her house insurance?

It's looking like the home insurance is the easiest option I guess, but I don't want to lose the no claims (unless it's not as important discount wise as a car one?).. as I've never had to claim anything before.

Cheapest comparable model they do now is around £300 more than I paid for mine 18 months ago. If the house insurance only pay out the value of the original one, I'd have to get her to pay the difference anyway I guess..

Well my policy looks a bit useless.. I'll need to clarify but they don't cover "Portable Electronic Equipment" and certainly don't cover anything away from home, so I'd have to blag it anyway.

I don't think the hammer will work and she's clearly already tried to reinstall Cava.

She damaged it, she should pay.

I would double check to make sure it can't be repaired (or what the repair cost will be) first though. Then write to her asking that she pays for the replacement as it was her fault it was wrecked. Give her a time limit for her response. If she does not respond, or doesn't make a satisfactory offer, write again telling her you plan to take this through the small claims court if she doesn't cough up in full by a defined date. Tell her she'll have to pay the additional costs of taking it through smalls claims. Then actually go through the small claims court route to get yer money back.

PS in the meantime buy a new Macbook so you can do all the letter writing etc.

Well my policy looks a bit useless.. I'll need to clarify but they don't cover "Portable Electronic Equipment" and certainly don't cover anything away from home, so I'd have to blag it anyway.

I don't think the hammer will work and she's clearly already tried to reinstall Cava.

Kurt's 'To Do' list

1 - buy new MacBook Pro

2 - Get new household insurance

She damaged it, she should pay.

I would double check to make sure it can't be repaired (or what the repair cost will be) first though. Then write to her asking that she pays for the replacement as it was her fault it was wrecked. Give her a time limit for her response. If she does not respond, or doesn't make a satisfactory offer, write again telling her you plan to take this through the small claims court if she doesn't cough up in full by a defined date. Tell her she'll have to pay the additional costs of taking it through smalls claims. Then actually go through the small claims court route to get yer money back.

PS in the meantime buy a new Macbook so you can do all the letter writing etc.

Or he can claim off his insurance get a new mac off em and then claim off the woman for a replacement ;-)

can the woman actually be forced to pay for the repair/ replacement?

THAT is the $1000 question.. (well, the £1579 question in this case).

If she gets arsey and I need to go the small claims route, I'm not sure if I'd have to prove intent/malice etc..

I'd ask the CAB, but they're useless.. so it's possibly one for a solicitor.. or the Genny, of course.