By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

travelling to Johannesburg

Hassony

I am flying to Johannesburg for a couple of weeks for a work trip, staying at the holiday Inn at Sandton

so is it really as dangerous as we hear it is

any recommendations?

I'm sure it's not as dangerous as you hear, and I'm sure that anyone there who you ask will have a horror stories of carjackings or whatever. Sandton is safer than most areas as it's rich, business centric and well policed. Unfortunately, walking anywhere is not easy as Sandton is a suburb of Jb so you'll likely find yourself wandering the Sandton mall...

I'm sure it's not as dangerous as you hear, and I'm sure that anyone there who you ask will have a horror stories of carjackings or whatever. Sandton is safer than most areas as it's rich, business centric and well policed. Unfortunately, walking anywhere is not easy as Sandton is a suburb of Jb so you'll likely find yourself wandering the Sandton mall...

thanks

I'll be at the Eskom HQ most of the time, although will do a bit of traveling in the second week to a couple of the power stations

thanks

I'll be at the Eskom HQ most of the time, although will do a bit of traveling in the second week to a couple of the power stations

Megawatt Park is a pain in the a*** to get to from the centre of Sandton during rush hour, but then so is everywhere during rush hour I suppose.

You'll be fine in Sandton as it is heavily policed because they don't want the tourists scared away. Let me know which power stations you are going to though as they are a whole different kettle of fish.

Megawatt Park is a pain in the a*** to get to from the centre of Sandton during rush hour, but then so is everywhere during rush hour I suppose.

You'll be fine in Sandton as it is heavily policed because they don't want the tourists scared away. Let me know which power stations you are going to though as they are a whole different kettle of fish.

Medupi and Ingula

the plan is to drive there, not looking forward to that journey to be honest

I went through there a few times en route to Swaziland over the last couple of years.... the difference between border control for S.Africa and that for Swazi is amazing. S.Africa is grim, scary and hostile (often all three) - typfied by machine guns and bullet proof glass, Swazi's is more like the welcoming committee of a particular over exuberant party - typfied by open plan offices and free condoms.

When i was there in the summer it was pretty rough and ready. Not a place i felt safe in until i'd got to know the area a bit.

The usual travelling tips apply. Always check out where you're going before you leave the front door and dont be flash or draw attention to yourself

• 2 weeks later...

I saw an article on the news about how some people out there have their cars fitted with anti carjacking flame throwers along the sides.

Have fun Hassony, send us a postcard!

im sure it is illegal.. i have seen those flame throwers.. they definitely do not comply with health and safety and therefore i assume its been banned.. im sure hass has nothing to fear as long he wears the kufiya..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNjNzFmdylQ

i am still alive!

been a great couple of weeks, coming back thursday

went underground at one of the new sites today, massive project, very intersting

haven't had any issues really, not even while driving

the weather has been strange though