By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Commoli

honourablegeorge

This will probably put an end to SWP for £5m in january at least.

You would think that would end the SWP, Carlton Cole *anyone from fulham* and in the summer, finally, the Trezeguet rumours forerver.

Sadly, for Knox, big Kev will now never swing an elbow in a Liverpool shirt either.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends how many tables they bought him. I'd be concerned about having too many bodies above him in a league where the manager still reigns surpreme.

Got to say, I'm not overly excited about having a DOF. Unless there's complete trust and a clearly defined strategy, which is pretty rare, it's doomed to fail in this country.

where does the manager reign? Ferguson, wenger, moyes maybe. However spurs had years of this system on the way to their current position, including the cup and 5th places pre harry. City and chelsea use it. Its only english managers that dont buy into it with their emphasis on transfers over training. fans and press need a focal point for blame when results dont come. Actually thing rafa would have been more successful under such a system, not that i'm convinced he would have agreed to a change

where does the manager reign? Ferguson, wenger, moyes maybe. However spurs had years of this system on the way to their current position, including the cup and 5th places pre harry. City and chelsea use it. Its only english managers that dont buy into it with their emphasis on transfers over training. fans and press need a focal point for blame when results dont come. Actually thing rafa would have been more successful under such a system, not that i'm convinced he would have agreed to a change

He has at Inter hasn't he?

I think there has to be a balance, the manager has to have some control over the type of players he wants to bring in.

If Commoli is here to identify potential targets and then the manager picks the ones he wants that could work. I don't think it can work if someone else is signing the players. That said given the signings Roys already made im all for someone else targeting players.

Depends how many tables they bought him. I'd be concerned about having too many bodies above him in a league where the manager still reigns surpreme.

Got to say, I'm not overly excited about having a DOF. Unless there's complete trust and a clearly defined strategy, which is pretty rare, it's doomed to fail in this country.

It's what the Red Sex would call a General Manager.

Not especially when he fought for more control over handling of club matters before he signed his contract.

Not especially when he fought for more control over handling of club matters before he signed his contract.

You have to reasonably conclude though that part of that was because of the lack of focus control and the influence of Cecil - it seems Rafa wanted Kenny to do this kind of role but Cecil didn't.

It's a fair point, though I think Spurs only really made the step up when they went back to a more traditional set up. Obviously who they appoint as manager will define how workable it is but I still have huge doubts.

huge difference between joining a club structure and changing one when already in situ. Not even sure why that needs to be pointed out

You have to reasonably conclude though that part of that was because of the lack of focus control and the influence of Cecil - it seems Rafa wanted Kenny to do this kind of role but Cecil didn't.

your timing is well off. New rafa deal predated purslow. Also its complete speculation on your part about what rafa wanted kenny to do as compared to what he ended up doing. Its also counter intuitive and more like wishful thinking on you part, given the contractual push for transfer control. But i get it, there cant be any notion that rafa would have any issue with these owners

Roy is rambling on about DC on SSN now.

He's "very happy" with the appointment. Says he's used to it from his time in Europe.

You're also used to be sacked from your time in Europe, Roy.

Rubbish - little Swedish clubs with a Director of Football?

he's taken a job on those terms though. anyhow, think his problem at liverpool was always rugs being pulled. it was the same with jol, who took one job, and then suddenly had to accept a slightly different one.

personally don't think the director of footballer role has to preclude a proper old-style english management role. the sort that ferguson has, or rafa craved. ferguson certainly seems to work better when he has a bit of enlightened support around him. and in some ways it might have eliminated rafa's struggles with parry and purslow. it's not like macia wasn't given quite a lot of free reign in terms of finding players. i don't see it that differently from a trumped up scouting role really. i imagine wenger for all this talk of his amazing eye, takes a lot of counsel from his empowered scouting system.

i suppose the main issue is who makes the final call, but if the lines of communication are clear, everyone buys into the philosphy, and what is needed, don't see why it has to be a big issue.