By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

A change in direction

Andy @ Allerton

It's time to stop moaning about Roy 'TheHodge' Hodgson. I've decided that things are good. We've finally got rid of Gillette and Hicks and I will have to trust to the new owners doing the right thing. Whether that involves the current manager or not is not up to me. I'm going to just go to the games. Support the team and hope we win.

As people have rightfully said all the upheavel, disappointment, anger and disgust at the previous owners have tainted everything. It will always be tricky for us all to return to what we actually want - which is 'just' being football fans and nothing else. For those that have met me, I think you'd agree I'm anything but militant in my regards and aims regarding the club. I just want to drink beer, talk s**** about the game, moan about the referee, ask people where their arms are, sing Karaoke and eat curry. Lots of curry.

Until today (Or even just before) I was beginning to wonder if that were ever to happen somewhere, but I think that everyone has to take a step back. Look at where we are right now. Today. Look at where we were just a month ago and compare the differences. Back then we had idiotic owners that appeared to be on a mission to destroy the club outright. We had Broughton and Purslow in charge and we had a man looking badly out of his depth appointed by them. We had angry mutterings all around - the fallout of the way in which pretty much every fan rallied together with one protest or another. Some writing letters and emails, some refusing to buy club merchandise, some boycotting the games. Most people did their bit and here we are today and that little bit from everyone seems to have done the trick.

We're here today with new owners that have yet to prove whether they are for good or ill. We have seen Broughton and Purslow removed from their positions and we've got an open door swinging in the breeze full of possibilities and full of potential. What can the future bring? What is around the corner?

I'm not sure about any of that. I'm just a fan, wanting to drink beer, eat curry, moan about the ref and slag mancs and the media off. I think maybe it's about time some of us stepped back a bit from the roles we've put ourselves into - it took a lot of time for me to realise that people were right about how much in danger the club was - and I'd daresay there are people out there that never realised just how close we came to real problems in the existence of the club. So. For me. It's time to hang up my 'rootin' tootin' boots'. Relax about who owns the club. Forget about who is in the boardroom. Forget about the whys and wherefores of who is in charge and why. Forget about the politics, the anger, the disgust, the vitriol and the need to care.

I'm getting back to just being a fan. Going to the game. Hoping we win. Hoping the manager can do well and getting behind him - whoever he is. This last part is going to be a struggle. We've all said things we can't take back. We all think things we can't rationalise and dismiss. But today is a new day and tomorrow is a new dawn.

Edited by Andy@Allerton

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a mixture with things with old Hodgson.

He's intrinsically linked with the old regime, he replaced a very popular manager in Rafa who (quite rightly) had a particularly loyal following, he's not exactly a guy modern fans can relate to, his tactics are very cautious and he's had a run of absolutely appalling press where he's got just about everything wrong and shown a diabolical lack of understanding as to how he should be talking as manager of Liverpool Football Club. So I think its safe to say he's not had the best of starts.

If he turns it around, tries to play more progressive football, gets results and starts saying the right things in press conferences it would be the most astonishing phoenix impression in the history of football. But I'd be happy if it did happen - it seems that some have gone so far they hate him to a point where they can never go back and almost want us to lose to bring about his demise. I find that sad, that people were thinking about that when we'd scored a crucial last minute winner yesterday.

Its still Liverpool out there, whether he's the manager or not. There should be nothing but unconfined joy when we score a late winner in a big game, with absoutely nothing else attached.

I think I'll feel a whole lot better when he's gone.

Although that's a very unusual feeling for me with regards a Liverpool manager. It makes me uncomfortable. I don't like discussing how I don't rate him and I certainly don't like the feeling that victories in the short term are potentially damaging in the long run.

I've never felt that before. Wins were always good. Now I'm not so sure.

i was thinking about this last week, the day after i had a rant about him :rolleyes:

maybe the anger we have for him is the left overs from the owners thing, it may have been better if we were able to vent our hatred of them and get it over, but there were the court cases, the messing about and then the derby! I am not saying i am convinced as yet, but maybe :wacko: he does at least deserve a chance and maybe we deserve to just be fans again. The more we put into the hatred of him or anything, the more we lose the innocence of being a fan.

Over the last few weeks i have managed to get quite peeved off about football and its superstar players, but then something daft happens and i am a fan again. I am a wee bit like Andy, in the fact that i want to return to normal and just suppport the team.

No, get the old f***** out now before he does serious long-term damage/

Yep. My intense dislike for him is more to do with the s**** he's spouted since he's been here, but aside from that and looking at it when a clear head, nowt has changed. He's not good enough and nothing he's ever done suggests that's going to change now.

Great post, but for me hodge is the last link of their regime and he needs to go before I can start to trust again.

I've never in my 30 plus yearsof being a Liverpool supporter wanted a manager gone. I do now and I can't see that changing even if we were sat top of the league. He's unfortunate in the sense that he was appointed by them, but he's done nothing since arriving to give me nay belief I can trust him. From his ideals, his signings, his press conferences to his tactics.

We need a clean start, and I can't move on from that era until the last appointment of the era is gone.

It doesn't stop me celebrating a win or a late goal. It just doesn't feel right at the moment though.

I'm confused Andy. Do you really like curry or not? :)

As for Hodgson. Yes, I think it's time we all take a deep breath and accept he's the manager for the foreseeable future. I can understand how desperate people have been to see him gone, however reading that some people actually wanted us to lose to Everton in order to hasten his removal I found totally mind-boggling, (for want of a better expression).

I also share the same concerns about giving him the money to buy players in the next transfer window and yes, he's made a couple of really bad buys in my opinion which doesn't fill me with confidence, but we're in a very different situation now to when the last transfer window was open and I think we're going to have to wait and see who comes in before making any further judgements.

At the end of the day, (it gets dark I know ;) ), it's all down to results and while accepting the fact he's made some pretty eye-rolling statements to the media, I would happily ignore those comments as long as the team are winning matches.

Edited by Red

I'm confused Andy. Do you really like curry or not? :)

As for Hodgson. Yes, I think it's time we all take a deep breath and accept he's the manager for the foreseeable future. I can understand how desperate people have been to see him gone, however reading that some people actually wanted us to lose to Everton in order to hasten his removal I found totally mind-boggling, (for want of a better expression).

I also share the same concerns about giving him the money to buy players in the next transfer window and yes, he's made a couple of really bad buys in my opinion which doesn't fill me with confidence, but we're in a very different situation now to when the last transfer window was open and I think we're going to have to wait and see who comes in before making any further judgements.

At the end of the day, (it gets dark I know;)), it's all down to results and while accepting the fact he's made some pretty eye-rolling statements to the media, I would happily ignore those comments as long as the team are winning matches.

yeah he's a genius

Hodgson is s****, the team will be s**** under his leadership. We'll limp along until the new year until someone has the nuts to fire him. Why wait ?

why wait? that's my mantra

although I will declare once again, that I really don't dislike Roy at all, but having finally got rid of G and H, i'm now desperate for the project to move along asap and that means signing a top class manager - a 'supermanager'

the supermanager club is a small one and it's no disgrace not to be part of it, so no reflection on RH, but it's time to stop pissing about now and get this issue sorted - am getting a bit edgy about it tbh

Two wins and people have gone soft. Didn't think Liverpool fans were that fickle.

We've been infiltrated by exactly the sort of manager/individual we all despise.

He loves Ferguson. He loves Redknapp. He blames others for his own failings. He refuses to acknowledge what Rafa did for this club. He doesn't get the fans. He doesn't get the club.

I'm not a scouser and even I can tell he doesn't get the city.

Edited by Flasher

We ended up with Roy because Roy on his best day was ever so slightly better than Rafa on his worst.

Rafa had less bad days than Roy has good ones.

Great post.

Put your trust in the new leadership and get back to cheering the team.

If he's s*** he'll get sacked, simple. Handwringing when our own team score a goal won't make that happen any quicker.

I totally agree. I'd love to feel the sensation of being able to "put down my guns"... I can't help handwringing still. I don't trust our owners yet, and don't trust the manager at all...

Edited by jr_ewing