By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Danny Baker

Montse

Announced this morning via FB he has cancer

y Star Garter on Monday, November 1, 2010 at 11:57am

Hello cats and kittens,

Apologies for the cloak and d. over recent weeks. However as it appears this is going to continue for the forseeable I really ought to offer up some sort of breadcrumbs trail as to what's going on. (As you know I am queasy about introducing vulgar real life onto the vaudeville stage so let's keep this crisp.)

After a pretty mouldy diagnosis about a month back I finally begin chemotherapy on Monday with further radiotherapy from January. Yes radiotherapy; can you beat it? This being so, the old treehouse baggy pants will be donned but sparingly. Once the quacks have soundly thrashed this thing I shall return like a rare gas and as if out of a trap. In the meantime I am watching Tommy Steele box sets (and has there ever been a more lying title to a film than TS's "It's All Happening"?) and urge you all to keep yakking up a storm and laugh extra loud at the incumbents.

Thank you for all the best wishes and concern from those who suspected as much about my "condition" and by all means keep ringing up Baylen and Amy to demand more and more Atomic Rooster and Spooky Tooth records.

So. Manly handshake. Walk right on. In the words of King George, "What what and there it is..."

DB

Wish him a speedy recovery hes a top broadcaster!

Lovely little piece

Wishing Danny Baker a quick recovery

When Danny Baker said on his radio show on BBC Radio Five Live a couple of weeks ago that his appearances would be “spotty” for a while, it was difficult not to fear the worst. Due to illness, Danny has been covered by Suggs, Christian O’Connell and Alan Davies since the show returned from its summer break in September. On Monday our concerns proved well-founded. Danny announced that he is battling against cancer and will be entering treatment imminently:

After a pretty mouldy diagnosis about a month back I finally begin chemotherapy on Monday with further radiotherapy from January. Yes radiotherapy; can you beat it? This being so, the old treehouse baggy pants will be donned but sparingly. Once the quacks have soundly thrashed this thing I shall return like a rare gas and as if out of a trap. In the meantime I am watching Tommy Steele box sets (and has there ever been a more lying title to a film than TS’s “It’s All Happening”?) and urge you all to keep yakking up a storm and laugh extra loud at the incumbents.

Danny isn’t just a football man – his love for music and his industry are clear to anyone who’s heard his anecdotes and interviews – but football is the reason I listen to his show every week and the reason I look back fondly on previous gigs he’s had over the years. To more than a generation of football supporters Danny is an oasis in the barren world of mainstream football broadcasting. He’s one of the few people in the industry that understands that there is more to football than what happens on the pitch and is willing to say so.

From the glory days of his old Five Live show, through his brilliant but appallingly truncated stint back in the 6-0-6 hotseat, to his current Saturday morning show, Danny Baker has been a mainstay on the football media landscape and the one man who can see right into the true heart of the game.

You see, it’s not just the goals and the games that are important. What matters most is that railway detonators can be used as goalposts, that a totalitarian government would only let the league have two kits, that ‘nothing can go wrong now’. What matters is culture, community, memories. The nuances of football are what make it stand out, revelling in the stories of fans through the ages and the quirks and flukes of the modern game. Nobody – and I mean nobody – draws this out better than Danny Baker.

Without him, and a few other gems in less prominent broadcasting roles, radio coverage of football is moribund. The tributes are already pouring in, not because his fans don’t expect him to recover with characteristic verve but because there is a real heartfelt affection for him among supporters who have grown up with his voice accompanying every matchday journey. The modern football broadcaster brings nothing to the table but cheap tabloid gossip and barrel-scraping analysis of what happens within the boundaries of the playing surface. If you’re wondering why the well-wishing for Danny is so widespread today, it’s because he extinguishes all of that nonsense at the turn of a dial and the flick of a pirate hat.

The whole team at twofootedtackle.com wishes Danny a full and speedy recovery. He is, without exception, the finest broadcaster in football. But he’s also the most important, because his show, humour and outlook all protect the idiosyncracies that many miss but are absolutely essential to the beautiful game’s mystique.

he even made Chris Evans entertaining for a time.

I listened to a bit of Chris Evans on Radio 2 the other day, and unsurprisingly he was ripping off Danny Baker's old Radio London breakfast show (using Candyman etc).

Danny Baker's old Radio 1 show on a Saturday in the mid-90s made radio exciting.

I never get it at all with Danny Baker but then I've only dipped in very occasionally and it sounds like a lot of in-jokes.

What's so good about his radio shows?

Dunno but Gary Crowley is on right now and it's dire in comparison..... better than the t*** on Radio2, however

Dunno but Gary Crowley is on right now and it's dire in comparison..... better than the t*** on Radio2, however

Oh aye, I accept that everyone on the radio (bar Mark Lamarr) is sh*t but Danny Baker just always sounded like another one of them fellas for me.

It's also more than a little self absorbed and pathetic not to be able to acknowledge the overall quality of a man's broadcasting career because there's one issue on which you disagree with him.

This is Hassony we're talking about.

Makes radio a lot more interesting, even if he descends into whimsy a bit much for me sometimes. But genuinely has made me laugh out loud on his R5 show, which no-one else ever has on that station (intentionally).

Hope he makes a speedy recovery.

I disliked him long before he started talking about Rafa

He was annoyed by Rafa's unemotional way of watching the game most of all I think

I have some sympathy with that view. I never understood that with Rafa

He was annoyed by Rafa's unemotional way of watching the game most of all I think

I have some sympathy with that view. I never understood that with Rafa

correct. accused benitez of having a 'waxy, pea-sized heart'. i emailed him those articles about rafa's donations to the HSG and hoylake in the summer and got a reply essentially saying 'lovely gestures, perhaps i'm wrong about him, still disagree with his detachment from football'. fair enough point of view.

really hope he mends, he makes radio listening fun and his saturday show on radio five boosts the station's output quality by about 300% overall. should still be hosting 606 too.