TV shows (but not GoT)

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I sat down with the missus to watch the Queens Gambit last night. Missed the first minute and was struggling to work out what was going. The stupid wench put on the last episode instead of the first o

Have you forgotten how good Magnum PI was ?    

Still struggle to believe that this made it on to actual television.   

Posted Images

I think most of the acting stands up, Steve Schirripa (Bobby Bacala) stands out as very wooden at the beginning but gets a lot better. I think Silvio is a bit of a caricature at times, but is that to do with characterisation rather than Van Zandt's acting skills? AJ is my least favourite character and I don't think the actor is particularly good. Most of the main cast is incredibly believeable I'd say, people like Edie Falcao and Lorraine Bracco are nothing like their characters in real life for example, yet their characters are fully formed, believeable and sympathetic.

I think a lot of the supporting cast do a great job, people like the old guys in the New York crew and the minor members of the Soprano crew like the guy who inherits the money and goes to Florida.

Silvio irritated me in Sopranos with some of his mannerisms. Seemed like a caricature and portrayed too many stereotypes. 

Watched Lilyhammer and he was the same in that but it suited it more with it being more lighthearted 

2 hours ago, cymrococh said:

I think most of the acting stands up, Steve Schirripa (Bobby Bacala) stands out as very wooden at the beginning but gets a lot better. I think Silvio is a bit of a caricature at times, but is that to do with characterisation rather than Van Zandt's acting skills? AJ is my least favourite character and I don't think the actor is particularly good. Most of the main cast is incredibly believeable I'd say, people like Edie Falcao and Lorraine Bracco are nothing like their characters in real life for example, yet their characters are fully formed, believeable and sympathetic.

I think a lot of the supporting cast do a great job, people like the old guys in the New York crew and the minor members of the Soprano crew like the guy who inherits the money and goes to Florida.

I think it's hard for a character like Bobby to be anything other than unimpressive in his early episodes, he's just "there" - as you say he improves a lot, but I think that's a lot to do with being given proper storylines. He's brilliant in Sopranos Family Movies, they all are tbf.

Agree on Silvio but Chase has often said he had encountered characters like that in his past, so I guess he's being directed to be as cartoon as that.

Edie Falco is incredible, as good as Gandolfini, in my opinion. 

15 minutes ago, Stanley Leisure said:

Edie Falco is incredible, as good as Gandolfini, in my opinion. 

Yeah especially when you find out that she's basically a hippy in real life (similar to Gandolfini actually), so polar opposite to Carmela.

Edited by cymrococh
5 hours ago, Stanley Leisure said:

Which characters?

Sometimes paulie and Silv’s gurning looks like they took one ‘how to look like a stereotypical mafia character’ acting class.

Chris’s lack of emotional range is pretty transparent and his laugh after the confrontation with Paulie by the van in Pine Barrens is woeful (as was the scripting of something so obvious and over used) 

Melfi can be great but some performances are really flat, and the discomfort the character should feel is too often verbalised in the dialogue with minor characters (like her husband) rather than in the exchanges with Tony. 

The kids can be awful - when Summer reacts to her friends telling her she’s better off without Jackie - the acting student union standard. 

Richie and Ralph and Tony Blundetto are brilliant though. 

35 minutes ago, DecidedByPoll said:

Sometimes paulie and Silv’s gurning looks like they took one ‘how to look like a stereotypical mafia character’ acting class.

Chris’s lack of emotional range is pretty transparent and his laugh after the confrontation with Paulie by the van in Pine Barrens is woeful (as was the scripting of something so obvious and over used) 

Melfi can be great but some performances are really flat, and the discomfort the character should feel is too often verbalised in the dialogue with minor characters (like her husband) rather than in the exchanges with Tony. 

The kids can be awful - when Summer reacts to her friends telling her she’s better off without Jackie - the acting student union standard. 

Richie and Ralph and Tony Blundetto are brilliant though. 

Think that's pretty harsh, particularly Christopher. 

The kids are a bit rubbish, granted.

1 minute ago, Stanley Leisure said:

Think that's pretty harsh, particularly Christopher. 

The kids are a bit rubbish, granted.

Probably, but that’s why I asked if I’m the only person who thinks this way. 

I watched a few episodes of MadMen straight after watching the Sopranos, and I thought that the step up in the quality of acting was noticeable.  But maybe there’s a reason I appreciate the performance of repressed melancholy and a desire for genuine human connection.... 

The Sopranos is a very ugly looking show too. I know that’s true to life, but everything is mundane, seedy or garish. 

Back to Edie Falco - I see she had a new show which started earlier this year called Tommy. It's on Alibi which doesn't bode well and it gets mixed reviews - anyone here seen it?

Edited by Tommok

Watched a small series called 'Modern Love' on Amazon Prime, thoroughly enjoyed it with quite a high profile cast, each episode a different story and then bringing them together in the last episode. Think this could have been done better. Reminded me of a Will Self set of short stories (name escapes me) that eventually intertwined but here it was more contextual than any deeper connection.

16 hours ago, DecidedByPoll said:

I watched a few episodes of MadMen straight after watching the Sopranos, and I thought that the step up in the quality of acting was noticeable.  But maybe there’s a reason I appreciate the performance of repressed melancholy and a desire for genuine human connection.... 

The Sopranos is a very ugly looking show too. I know that’s true to life, but everything is mundane, seedy or garish. 

Have you ever wondered if you hate Christopher so much because you ARE Christopher?

kpihgv-09bracco.jpg?w=1101

• Haha 2
17 hours ago, DecidedByPoll said:

Don has got narcissistic and paranoid personality disorders. And probably other stuff too. He's very damaged. Or is it Betty you are relating too?

7 hours ago, muleskinner said:

Don has got narcissistic and paranoid personality disorders. And probably other stuff too. He's very damaged. Or is it Betty you are relating too?

Everyone is damaged, everyone is lonely and everyone is deeply sad. Who can’t relate to that? 

8 hours ago, cymrococh said:

Have you ever wondered if you hate Christopher so much because you ARE Christopher?

kpihgv-09bracco.jpg?w=1101

Just look at how bad the acting is though.