By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

TV shows (but not GoT)

crisps

Watched a couple of Netflix documentaries over the weekend. The Defiant Ones, about Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine, was a lot more interesting than I expected. Haven't checked but it seemed like it was made by the same people who did The Last Dance, same look and feel to it.

And Speed Cubers, about the world Rubik's Cube championships. Little gem this, only 45 minutes long, highly recommended. Netflix is home to loads more good documentaries than it is feature films.

3 hours ago, Stevie H said:

Watched a couple of Netflix documentaries over the weekend. The Defiant Ones, about Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine, was a lot more interesting than I expected. Haven't checked but it seemed like it was made by the same people who did The Last Dance, same look and feel to it.

And Speed Cubers, about the world Rubik's Cube championships. Little gem this, only 45 minutes long, highly recommended. Netflix is home to loads more good documentaries than it is feature films.

Speed Cubers is great, what a lovely guy Felix Zemdegs (the Aussie cuber) is - really heart warming the bond he has with Max and how he looks out for him.

Totally does my head in how they do the cubes so damn fast tho, it's brain melting.

2 hours ago, Tommok said:

Speed Cubers is great, what a lovely guy Felix Zemdegs (the Aussie cuber) is - really heart warming the bond he has with Max and how he looks out for him.

Totally does my head in how they do the cubes so damn fast tho, it's brain melting.

I wanted to give them both a hug. And was a bit gutted when they said Felix was off on a career in finance. He's far too nice for that. 

Seeing them sitting basically meditating by solving a cube one-handed repeatedly was mad wasn't it. Took me miles longer than them to take all the coloured stickers off and put them back on. 

2 hours ago, Stevie H said:

I wanted to give them both a hug. And was a bit gutted when they said Felix was off on a career in finance. He's far too nice for that. 

Seeing them sitting basically meditating by solving a cube one-handed repeatedly was mad wasn't it. Took me miles longer than them to take all the coloured stickers off and put them back on. 

Yeah Felix surely won't last in finance, as you say he's way too nice.

I had a cheap copy rubiks cube that I could take apart and then rebuild it "completed"

I used to say to say to people I needed to be on my own in a quiet room to concentrate and then come back with it "completed" - devious little sod that I was. I should have ended up in finance.

25 minutes ago, charlie clown said:

We watched that Reported Missing thing on the BBC last week - the fella who went missing was a bloke I bought a second hand sofa off earlier this year. 

Reminds me of the time when I was still in working as an accountant and a client popped up on crimewatch faces board or whatever it is called.

He was staying at the hotel owned by another client who we use to use at preferential rates... he was clearly watching as well as my manager sent the police there asap and he had done a very quick runner!!

1 hour ago, charlie clown said:

We watched that Reported Missing thing on the BBC last week - the fella who went missing was a bloke I bought a second hand sofa off earlier this year. 

Did you search behind the sofa? 

That's another one of those series that I watched a few early episodes of but never carried on with. One of those that I thought the missus would be happy to watch but she didn't seem the slightest bit interested in so it went in to my 'for later' pile. But there's a lot of other stuff in that that is more likely to be watched ahead of it. 

20 hours ago, cymrococh said:

So you've got a third hand sofa?

No.

Edited by charlie clown

On 18/08/2020 at 03:27, Tommok said:

He went to the school where my wife is now Principal and she received an email from his mum with a link to the show - that’s how we got onto it. She’s now arranging for him to come in and visit as soon as the Covid restrictions allow.

• Like 2

On 17/08/2020 at 10:10, cymrococh said:

Once Upon a Time in Iraq is amazing, feels like one of those important shows like World at War.

I’ve just finished it as well. Along with the Blowback podcast I’ve been living in Iraq world for the last month now. How did we let them get away with it? What a massive f*** up.

13 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

I’ve just finished it as well. Along with the Blowback podcast I’ve been living in Iraq world for the last month now. How did we let them get away with it? What a massive f*** up.

It's so striking how every major decision they make has the most terrible consequences that no-one in any authority was able to foresee. This is the problem with the most far-reaching conspiracy theories for me, these people are obviously just normal idiots like the rest of us.

Just watched the Saddam one last night and even he was able to tell them exactly what would happen.

Edited by cymrococh

On 17/08/2020 at 15:07, Stevie H said:

Speed Cubers was really good,  who knew that world existed?

2 hours ago, cymrococh said:

It's so striking how every major decision they make has the most terrible consequences that no-one in any authority was able to foresee. This is the problem with the most far-reaching conspiracy theories for me, these people are obviously just normal idiots like the rest of us.

Just watched the Saddam one last night and even he was able to tell them exactly what would happen.

Saddam was a pretty remarkable character. Evil but completely underestimated by both Bush's and their cohorts. 

Watched the first part of the Yorkshire Ripper docs on BBC4 last night - fantastic programme. I think it may be a repeat as it was trailed as award-winning, but whatever, I'll be watching the upcoming episode(s). Amazing how incompetent, sexist, racist and generally judgemental the police were. Then again, not that amazing at all really. 

7 minutes ago, charlie clown said:

Watched the first part of the Yorkshire Ripper docs on BBC4 last night - fantastic programme. I think it may be a repeat as it was trailed as award-winning, but whatever, I'll be watching the upcoming episode(s). Amazing how incompetent, sexist, racist and generally judgemental the police were. Then again, not that amazing at all really. 

Friend of mine made that. I think you can tell it was a women led production.

Edited by Jarg Armani