Sign in to follow this  
muleskinner

New New New Music Thread

I'm a bit behind the curve as I think it's been out a week or two but I'm really enjoying the Kim Gordon album

Got this on order from Norman records - buying vinyl is cheaper from the UK about 50% of the time for me. Love what I've heard of it so far

Solitary Dancer - Rites of Passage: on 1st pass this is really good - they describe it as electro-soul & ambient which sounds up its own a*** really.

Giant Swan - Giant Swan: another one firmly on my 'buy list'

New DJ Shadow is a bit incoherent.

Yeah I'm pretty underwhelmed after the first listen.

The tracks released ahead of the album are certainly the best on there.

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/best-selling-vinyl-albums-of-the-decade-uk/

The top 100 selling vinyl LPs of the decade.

You'd think there's no new music anymore

Yeah but people are obsessed with replacing their existing old vinyl and CD versions of their favourite albums with new heavy vinyl versions aren't they?

Stuff does sound great on vinyl, especially the new heavyweight gear, true enough but having replaced most of my vinyl with CD's years back I'm not going to bother doing the opposite now.

Unless you have really decent decks I'm not sure most people would notice the difference in sound really and when I hear people saying "I actually really like the process of getting up and having to turn a record over halfway through an album" I do wonder if they really mean it. ;)

If you have great decks and amp speakers etc I'm sure stuff does sound great but then if you have a great amp speakers and a CD player it sounds really good.

I might have conflicting views on this! :)

Unless you have really decent decks I'm not sure most people would notice the difference in sound really and when I hear people saying "I actually really like the process of getting up and having to turn a record over halfway through an album" I do wonder if they really mean it. ;)

If you have great decks and amp speakers etc I'm sure stuff does sound great but then if you have a great amp speakers and a CD player it sounds really good.

I might have conflicting views on this! :)

I am avoiding getting stuff on vinyl that I already own on CD and I listen to CD's and streams more than I listen to vinyl but there is something satisfying about the vinyl experience, the going through the records taking it out of the sleeve the feel of it and the subjective experience of it is different. Now is the sound better, probably not, but I enjoy the experience and ultimately that's what it's about even if it does make me a bit twattish

I am avoiding getting stuff on vinyl that I already own on CD and I listen to CD's and streams more than I listen to vinyl but there is something satisfying about the vinyl experience, the going through the records taking it out of the sleeve the feel of it and the subjective experience of it is different. Now is the sound better, probably not, but I enjoy the experience and ultimately that's what it's about even if it does make me a bit twattish

It's the same with me. With MP3's, i'll be lucky if I get half way through a track without thinking of something else to play. With vinyl, I can't be arsed getting up and down, so each album gets played from start to finish. It's part of my fight against fascism.

It's the same with me. With MP3's, i'll be lucky if I get half way through a track without thinking of something else to play. With vinyl, I can't be arsed getting up and down, so each album gets played from start to finish. It's part of my fight against fascism.

Brilliant :applause:

hahahaha - yeah me too.

I tend to use the D/L codes with vinyl & then slap it onto my phone & listen on shuffle, so I love that with the vinyl I actually listen to the LP in full & in the order the tracks are in. I'm a firm believer that a musician doesn't just randomly throw down 10-12 tracks in a random order, there's a though process to the opening track and closing track of each side.

Yeah I get the appeal of the tactile aspect of vinyl and it does have an advantage over CD's in that respect, and if the album art is good then the bigger sleeve is a plus.

I remain slightly unconvinced by the "appeal" of getting up to turn the thing over tho :)

People enjoy different things but I think we should stop trying to reduce experiences to these discrete components and understand and enjoy them holistically