New New New Music Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For Charlie Clown and Pipnasty in particular  Jeru the Damaja's new single..  https://open.spotify.com/track/30KbE2jbwCpe8iMrS7f8aj?si=lC-t4YhVSZu-XGQaajfK6Q

Hop hop is a new thing btw

New but sounds like something from Warp Records from the early 90's Or maybe Future Sounds of London. I like it.

Posted Images

woah, maybe I'll get the AM one.

Loved the first one. Liked the second one, was disinterested in the 3rd...

Live they're not as good as they should/could be.

Also - going back a bit further - MGMT and Vampire Weekend?

Daft Punk I'm really not all that into, Vampire Weekend 1st one was great, 2nd really annoyed me

heard some new MGMT the other day....psychedelic as f*** and good for it.

Like the new single by Telegram....status quo meets hawkwind in 2013.

Franz Ferdinand - good but bit samey. Their usual furrow, good though that is.

Arctic Monkeys - good but samey and certainly not the leap forward some of the reviews would have you believe.

Bill Callahan - Dream River - fantastic. Really lovely.

MGMT - really good. Probably better than Congratulations, but not quite as good as their first.

• 3 weeks later...

a large part of why SACD and HD Tracks didn't take off is because their benefits aren't benefits, they allow a dynamic range that if exploited would deafen you or they allow a frequency response outside of the audible range

where there are actual benefits is in the remastering of the audio for the new format which may be better but would be no better than a remastered red book CD

the album was mastered, it being remastered isn't any different really

it's the only discernible difference between 44.1k 16b and HD stuff in any case

Mastering really just deals with frequencies and so to re master is fairly pointless. You see more and more "remaster" jobs now though which actually are re mixes from original recordings. Equally pointless as far as I'm concerned but attractive to record companies and some artists.

Edited by D.Boon

Mastering really just deals with frequencies and so to re master is fairly pointless. You see more and more "remaster" jobs now though which actually are re mixes from original recordings. Equally pointless as far as I'm concerned but attractive to record companies and some artists.

it's all only just frequencies, if there's clipping in the release it can be improved by remaster so I think it's possible for something to be badly mastered, if it's badly mastered then it should be improvable