By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

New New New Music Thread

muleskinner

Haven't checked this thread in AGES so these might already have been mentioned but the new ones from Washed Out and Julianna Barwick are fantastic, the second is exceptionally beautiful. One that came out a few months back that's brilliant as well is Ritual Tradition Habit by The Belle Game

• 2 weeks later...

Not 'new' in terms of acts but new in terms of releases - anyone heard any of the following? Stuff I'd have bought in the past but feeling a bit disinterested in right now -

The National

Arctic Monkeys

Franz Ferdinand

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Arctic new one is fantastic

YYY's new one is pretty average. At least compared to the last one.

woah, maybe I'll get the AM one.

Loved the first one. Liked the second one, was disinterested in the 3rd...

Live they're not as good as they should/could be.

Also - going back a bit further - MGMT and Vampire Weekend?

Daft Punk I'm really not all that into, Vampire Weekend 1st one was great, 2nd really annoyed me

Not 'new' in terms of acts but new in terms of releases - anyone heard any of the following? Stuff I'd have bought in the past but feeling a bit disinterested in right now -

The National

Arctic Monkeys

Franz Ferdinand

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Th National is decent but a bit more of the same from them. Haven't heard the Franz Ferdinand one but its bound to be s****, what with them being a pack of c**** better suited to a catwalk than a recording studio.

Arctics new one is one of the albums of the year - can't stop listening to it.

Of those mentioned above, The National is good but found it less accessible than their two most recent albums. VA new one has some cracking singles - Diane Young is superb - but inconsistent, FF is so-so, YYYs also has some good singles but nothing special overall.

Others I'd recommend from this year: Queens of the Stone Age (probably their best album yet), Savages, John Grant, Tomahawk (naturally).

The National

Arctic Monkeys

Franz Ferdinand

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Monkeys album is good, YYY is OK, FF is weird but quite good

Arctics new one is one of the albums of the year - can't stop listening to it.

Of those mentioned above, The National is good but found it less accessible than their two most recent albums. VA new one has some cracking singles - Diane Young is superb - but inconsistent, FF is so-so, YYYs also has some good singles but nothing special overall.

Others I'd recommend from this year: Queens of the Stone Age (probably their best album yet), Savages, John Grant, Tomahawk (naturally).

Got John Grant, it's good. also the Daphni one (although it was released about a year ago now (!))

:lol:

NME - Tom Odell review

Imagine, if you can, a more annoying 2013 sound than the trout-tongued singer from Bastille going “Ayd if yew clews yer ayezzz” before EVERY SINGLE YouTube clip of the year so far. Can’t do it? Then imagine this – an act that’s three parts Ben Howard, five parts Adele, four parts Keane, eight parts Florence and 500 parts Marcus Mumford’s a***. The sort of artist that’s a shoo-in for the Brits Critics Award, voted for by made-up ‘critics’ from Whatever Soporific MOR s**** Sold f***loads Last Year To People Who Don’t Really Like Music Magazine. Welcome to Tom Odell. Please, you’re welcome to him.

Just as there was a certain brooding promise to his teaser hit ‘Another Love’ before someone waterboarded it with cod-pagan pomp until it was a trembling, desperate mess prepared to do anything its overlords told it to, ‘Long Way Down’ is a decently bland album by a (probably) decently bland sort of bloke that’s been shafted so hard by The Man it’s submitted to gospel choirs (‘Can’t Pretend’), Coldplay chorus ballast (‘I Know’, ‘Till I Lost’) and Mumford money jigs (‘Grow Old With Me’) – all over-emoting songs about nothing.

During the maudlin quietude of ‘Sense’ or the title track, a tiny inkling of pity emerges in your sickened soul, and you convince yourself the 22-year-old from Chichester is just a poor, misguided wannabe who’s fallen into the hands of the music industry equivalent of Hungarian sex traffickers. Then he comes over all Lionel Richie on ‘Supposed To Be’. I wish I could say there’s a place in Hell reserved for Tom Odell. There’s not. Just loads more Brits. He’ll be all over 2013 like a virulent dose of musical syphilis, pounding and warbling away at every Papal election and Bradley Wiggins finishing line. Be warned, you can’t unhear it. 0/10