By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

USA or OZ?

Swipe

My girlfriend and I are going to go travelling for around three months from November or December.

The idea has always been going to the USA.

A friend of hers is getting married in Perth in November. She's desperate to go although she knows going to it then on to USA from there would be very expensive.

Even so, we went to STA Travel just to get an idea of the type of money we're talking about.

The girl then said "why don't you go travelling in Australia instead of USA?"

I've always fancied travelling across the states, but I can also see the appeal of Australia, especially at that time of the year when it'll be summer over there.

Any thoughts?

The girl in STA seemed to be implying a lot of America will be cold at that time of year which may harm our enjoyment of it.

Need to get it all booked soon.

Edited by Swipe

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of stuff to do in Oz mate, probably better value for money too. Internal travel is relatively cheap considering the distances involved. Perth is a little dull, but you can go up the west coast up to Broom and work your way around. Fly into Perth and fly out of Melbourne whilst doing a clockwise tour of Oz. The only thing you'll miss out on is Adelaide and its not much to write home about. Perfect time of year to go also as it will be bloody hot!

USA is better travelled in the summer and 3 months wont really do it justice as in Oz it will be just about right.

Plenty of stuff to do in Oz mate, probably better value for money too. Internal travel is relatively cheap considering the distances involved. Perth is a little dull, but you can go up the west coast up to Broom and work your way around. Fly into Perth and fly out of Melbourne whilst doing a clockwise tour of Oz. The only thing you'll miss out on is Adelaide and its not much to write home about. Perfect time of year to go also as it will be bloody hot!

USA is better travelled in the summer and 3 months wont really do it justice as in Oz it will be just about right.

Cheers mate. The summer in Oz is really tempting me. Need some of the US lads on the forum to let me know about the place at that time of year.

Try and swerve STA travel. Heard some nightmare stories about them.

Same. Just wanted to chat to an expert, won't be booking with them.

A quick search on expedia got me a cheaper deal than what STA offered.

NY in Nov/Dec is great - as is much of the N.E. through New Hampshire to Maine. Probably a bit colder in Maine though. NY doesn't really get that cold until after the new year and it's an ace Christmas city.

The West Coast will be anywhere between nicely temperate in the north to warm from LA downwards.

The midwest will likely be brutal

NY in Nov/Dec is great - as is much of the N.E. through New Hampshire to Maine. Probably a bit colder in Maine though. NY doesn't really get that cold until after the new year and it's an ace Christmas city.

The West Coast will be anywhere between nicely temperate in the north to warm from LA downwards.

The midwest will likely be brutal

This is it - Xmas in NYC sounds amazing and being there was kind of a catalyst to do the thing.

So both coasts will be ok? Was already told the likes of Chicago will be cold beyond belief.

Edited by Swipe

This is it - Xmas in NYC sounds amazing and being there was kind of a catalyst to do the thing.

So both coasts will be ok? Was already told the likes of Chicago will be cold beyond belief.

With windchill, Chicago can get to below -20c fairly easily....nearly Geordie summer.

Chicago, Boston and New England in general will be rough.

Winter in DC was rubbish last year, and with the summer we've had, there's a great chance that there'll be a couple of big snowstorms on the way this year too. California and some of the surrounding regions is your best bet to spend a vacation.

Go to Oz and come back sometime during spring or fall.

Edited by carrafan

Travelled round most of Oz and the west and east coast of the States.

That time of year, defo go to Oz. You can see pretty much all you want, and for the length of time you're away its perfect. Internal flights are cheap too.

Recommend going to Adelaide too and doing the Great Ocean Road by car, its ace.

Plus it's so much easier to go to the States on a regular basis.

Indeed.

Diving the Barrier Reef from Cairns, Skydive over the Whitsundays, Fraser Island, Brisbane, Surfer's Paradise, Gold Coast, Sydney, Melbourne.

Then there's Ayers Rock etc.

Then again I'm 22 so maybe its something for my age group.

I'm 39 and did pretty much all of that last year (replace the skydiving with whale-watching - maybe I'm showing my age there...).

You're right about the East Coast, the Barrier Reef is fantastic, the Whitsundays are just a picture-book island paradise. Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne are probably the three greatest cities in Australia, all quite different in character and all worth a visit. Girlfriend and I hired a car in Brisbane and drove down the coast to Sydney over a couple of days via Byron Bay, Gold Coast, Port MacQuarrie- I can certainly recommend that too. Hire youself a big V6/V8, but watch out for speed cameras... The countryside around Canberra is quite beautiful too, and the city itself is almost worth seeing because it's so weird - imagine a giant, sprawling, semi-deserted Milton Keynes set on the moon. Parliament House is worth a look actually.

I've lived here 3 years (Melbourne) and haven't been north or west yet, but by all accounts Darwin's worth a visit along with Kakadu National Park, Uluru (that's what they call Ayer's Rock these days) and the coast around Broome looks stunning. Plus there's Tasmania, where you can check out the in-breds and which might provide a bit of welcome relief temperature-wise at that time of year (45 degrees + is no joke).