By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Mad Men Series 4

jimmylibel

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched the first one last night - amazing how they managed to cram so many potential new plot lines into just one episode.

Joanny was looking good too....

Yep. You could spend hour trying to deconstruct that episode. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Wonder how a now 'openly' cocky Don is going to go down.

He was one of many on the sopranos.

Roger stirling is a genius character, not many in the show arent but he steals every scene he is in.

I know this is not from series 4, (series 1 actually), but it captures L'essence du Roger for me. Said to Joan:

"Look, I want to tell you something because you're very dear to me, and I hope you understand it comes from the bottom of my damaged, damaged heart: You are the finest piece of ass I ever had, and I don't care who knows it. I am so glad I got to roam those hillsides."

same writer innit

Matthew Weiner was one of the writers but David Chase was the driving force behind the Sopranos, just as Weiner is now the driving force behind Mad Men.

Apparently it was Weiner's draft script for the Mad Men pilot that got him the Sopranos gig.

Another factor is the advent of the DVD boxset.

Very good point. It's made some of these more complex and sometimes niche dramas more financially justifiable. The studios are making a return based on more than one revenue stream which is driving the production of more of these type of programmes.

Which is great.

He was one of many on the sopranos.

Roger stirling is a genius character, not many in the show arent but he steals every scene he is in.

Roger is a really enjoyable character but arguably he's the least developed main character in the whole programme. He's the programme's clown, hasn't really grown or changed all that much through the course of the three series so far.

Roger is a really enjoyable character but arguably he's the least developed main character in the whole programme. He's the programme's clown, hasn't really grown or changed all that much through the course of the three series so far.

He's there as a counterpoint to Don, isn't he? So you can't shift him too much; you need him to be fixed so you can measure Don against him.

He's there as a counterpoint to Don, isn't he? So you can't shift him too much; you need him to be fixed so you can measure Don against him.

That's true. They're also trying to show the similarities in their lifestyles and how Roger is an older version of Don in some ways.

Thats one of the reasons I like him. Consistent, very very funny yet with a dark streak of unhappiness bubbling under, plus as John says the rigid counterpoint to Don.

Some quotes from the great man:

"I told him to be himself. That was pretty mean I guess. "

"When God closes a door, he opens a dress."

"Jesus! I’ve been living the last twenty years like I’m on shore leave. What the hell is that about"?

Roger: "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Draper: "What do women want?"

Roger: "WHO CARES??!!!"

“I like redheads. Their mouths are like a drop of strawberry jam in a glass of milk.”

"You know what my father used to say? 'Being with a client is like being in a marriage. Sometimes you get into it for the wrong reasons, and eventually they hit you in the face.'"

"Do you want to be right or do you want to be married?"

"Can something be done about this sadness?" (holds up empty liquor bottle)

"They say once you start drinking alone, you're an alcoholic. I'm really trying to avoid that."

Roger: Of course, you might have to come in and be an advocate for yourself.

Duck: I'd be proud to present my accomplishments.

Roger: Good. Because I'm at a loss.

"Do you know how many hand job's I'm going to have to give? "

Joan walks in while Roger is playing with a paddle ball in his office.

Joan: You know, you can hear that outside.

Roger: Yes but nobody knows what I'm doing; it's good for mystique.

"There's a line Freddie and you WET it."

"I didn't think you had it in you...and I mean that."

"I don't think it's a bad idea to out-drink your clientele."

"So, we lost an account. That just means we'll have to cut back. Let's go fire somebody."

Roger: "Mr. Hooker has rearranged the secretaries in the pool alphabetically."

Joan: "By cup size?"

Roger: "Well, I know where you'd be sitting."

Annabelle Mathis: re their dooomed affair “You’re trying to tell me when you saw Casablanca you didn’t think about me?”

Roger: “You mean Peter Lorre?”