So, anyway - New Manager then....

Undoubtedly, we will need luck with injuries. However, I don't see players at City or Spurs better than Torres and Gerrard and I'm not convinced Redknapp and Mancini are better coaches than Hodgson either.

You also need to factor Arsenal into this - particularly if Fabregas leaves for Barcelona.

They're going to have much, much more money to work with though.

And I wouldn't be suprised to see Arsenal go for Alonso if the rumours are true about Mourinho not wanting him.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You hope he only gets 44 days? F*cking hell.

Totally honestly, Rafa aside who really 'got' us - I've never wanted one of our managers to succeed so much. I hope he shoves all the ridiculous sh*t like this right back down your throats.

This guy is a really good manager and a thoroughly decent man in the Liverpool mould. Its mad the way people are speaking about him to be honest - I can't believe the ignorance.

Completely agree with this.

Like the texts received by SSN are relevant to anything.

I mean who, when they have anything worthwhile to say, texts it to Sky?

Or indeed posts it on a forum. ;)

If it is to be Hodgson, then so be it. Keeping hold of our stars is now the priority. If we lose a couple, especially on the cheap, things could get ugly(well uglier).

Totally honestly, Rafa aside who really 'got' us - I've never wanted one of our managers to succeed so much. I hope he shoves all the ridiculous sh*t like this right back down your throats.

This guy is a really good manager and a thoroughly decent man in the Liverpool mould. Its mad the way people are speaking about him to be honest - I can't believe the ignorance.

Absolutely Leo.

Some embarassing stuff here in the past few days. Pleased to say that these people aren't representative of the majority who support our club who will back the man 100% from the off. Any new manager deserves that minimum level of respect.

you're making this up now dave. the british media had never heard of or mentioned him until his time with switzerland and then they were utterly gobsmacked when he got the inter job. late 70s my hole.

he was mentioned, just not very often. Usually in the same sentence as the other one at Malmö (Bob Houghton)

I'm not sure what difference that makes. Those requests can always be rejected.

What the banks want is a separate question but Masch/Gerrard/Torres not fancying playing Hodgson shouldn't really come into it.

I think Stevie's point is that as soon as that transfer request hits the boardroom table, it should be rejected by a board who want to keep our best players and progress as a team. The fear is that this board would rub their hands with glee as it gives them a perfect excuse to sell them and pocket the change.

he was mentioned, just not very often. Usually in the same sentence as the other one at Malmö (Bob Houghton)

have we sounded out Bob yet? Might be an idea if anyone from the club is reading this, just for the sake of completeness.

:applause:

Well said.

Some of the stuff on here is embarrasing. The most arrogant knowledgable supporters in the land.

Good luck to Roy Hodgson.

He's inheriting a squad that finished seventh, scraped into the europa league because of Portsmouth's administration, and amidst a handful of great players, is filled with a lot of deadwood, so he's going to need it.

He presumably will have little money to spend either.

He's a good man, a good manager and if he can retain the best players and get them playing for him, a Top 4 finish is not unrealistic.

He would not have been my first choice, but I still think this has the potential to be a shrewd appointment.

Edited by Heighway 61 Revisited

Absolutely Leo.

Some embarassing stuff here in the past few days. Pleased to say that these people aren't representative of the majority who support our club who will back the man 100% from the off. Any new manager deserves that minimum level of respect.

I think the point you're missing is that, yes, once installed, we'll give Woy our backing, but we can still comment on our displeasure of the appoint BEFORE it happens.

We're (the club) settling for mediocracy with this appointment. Oh yes, Woy's a lovely bloke, won't rock the boat, will calm troubled waters, but is that what we really want as a manager?

If you were a highly regarded footballer, would you be happy with Woy's appointment? Doubt it.

THAT'S the problem we have with it. Not Woy the person. Of course we'll get behind him, but once again, this ain't about the manager, it's about our owners.

We're being rapped again.

The problem isn't Woy Hodgson the man. It's the fact we don't think he's a Liverpool manager.

Kilgore: I love the smell of sanctimony in the morning. You know, one time we had a thread bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' managers body. The smell, you know that holier-than-thou smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this forum's gonna end...

Nice one Leo, totally agree he needs our support more than ever

Look, I'm not saying there aren't questions about Hodgson because he has been around so long without having many 'top' jobs.

But he did an absolutely incredible job last season with limited resources (which will prepare him well for managing us) and as a person he is more akin to our old 'bootroom' than any of the other potential choices whilst still having a wealth of modern technical knowledge.

I think bearing in mind our financial circumstances and the resulting group of managers we could realistically have attracted, you can make a very good case indeed for Hodgson being the best choice. And I like him a hell of a lot, I'd absolutely love to see him succeed here because he is the type of person whose success I would enjoy.

He is respectful, professional and extremely knowledgable. I'm not convinced even the very good foreign managers like Pellegrino or Deschamps would have been more capable of improving our league position. People need to separate Roy Hodgson from the owners now because he is already being cast as 'their man'.

He may be their appointment as manager but I can tell you this for sure - Roy Hodgson, like us is here for the football. He is a football man through and through who doesn't deserve to be bracketed with the leeches who are draining our club, just because they are the ones who appointed him.

Edited by Leo No.8
He's a good man

:lol:

how many times has he been called a 'good man' this week? a lot more than he's been called a good manager i suspect.

i'm reserving judgement on both counts until we have something concrete to actually work off. that's as far as it goes in giving anyone a chance. the cheerleading that's been going on on his behalf is utterly disingenuous in most cases.

In the press conference, I'm hoping for some honesty and clarity about our true position.

A clear, unambiguous "none of our best players will be sold at any price" ; "transfer money has been made available to the new manager" ; and a statement on the state of play with the sale of the club instead of the spin that has gone on before.

I'm not expecting any of this but it's time the Club put to bed the doomsday scenarios that most of the fans are fearing as signified by the appointment of a 63 year old journeyman to the most difficult job in football.

I think the point you're missing is that, yes, once installed, we'll give Woy our backing, but we can still comment on our displeasure of the appoint BEFORE it happens.

We're (the club) settling for mediocracy with this appointment. Oh yes, Woy's a lovely bloke, won't rock the boat, will calm troubled waters, but is that what we really want as a manager?

If you were a highly regarded footballer, would you be happy with Woy's appointment? Doubt it.

THAT'S the problem we have with it. Not Woy the person. Of course we'll get behind him, but once again, this ain't about the manager, it's about our owners.

We're being rapped again.

The problem isn't Woy Hodgson the man. It's the fact we don't think he's a Liverpool manager.

Spot on.

Anyone would think he's already been unveiled. If this board is representative then only 10% of support want him.

When (or if) his appointment is announced I think you will see the change in attitude on here.

What we are seeing on here at present, however, is the gradual watering down of expectations.

how many times has he been called a 'good man' this week? a lot more than he's been called a good manager i suspect.

i'm reserving judgement on both counts until we have something concrete to actually work off. that's as far as it goes in giving anyone a chance. the cheerleading that's been going on on his behalf is utterly disingenuous in most cases.

I'm with this ideal as I think it's an utter b****x appointment.

Good man. s*** manager.

Look, I'm not saying there aren't questions about Hodgson because he has been around so long without having many 'top' jobs.

But he did an absolutely incredible job last season with limited resources (which will prepare him well for managing us) and as a person he is more akin to our old 'bootroom' than any of the other potential choices whilst still having a wealth of modern technical knowledge.

I think bearing in mind our financial circumstances and the resulting group of managers we could realistically have attracted, you can make a very good case indeed for Hodgson being the best choice. And I like him a hell of a lot, I'd absolutely love to see him succeed here because he is the type of person whose success I would enjoy.

He is respectful, professional and extremely knowledgable. I'm not convinced even the very good foreign managers like Pellegrino or Deschamps would have been more capable of improving our league position. People need to separate Roy Hodgson from the owners now because he is already being cast as 'their man'.

He may be their appointment as manager but I can tell you this for sure - Roy Hodgson, like us is here for the football. He is a football man through and through who doesn't deserve to be bracketed with the leeches who are draining our club, just because they are the ones who appointed him.

Well said Leo :applause:

There is no cheerleading

A good man? Well, in the context of the 'Rafa is the only football man at the club' line, it needs pointing out that the incoming manager is also a football man, and like Rafa a man of integrity and honour

Edited by Heighway 61 Revisited

Well, it may be useful having a good man at the club now, considering there's nowt but c**** at the top right now.

what's the actual evidence for it?

when we sign john pantsil next week is everyone going to be saying 'he's a good man you know', 'he's at the top of his profession' etc. most of these clowns were talking confidently and excitedly about jose mourinho being at the club a few months ago. wasn't about 'good men' then, was it?